The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 22, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Archer 9505

Going Distinguished

I looked on the CMP website and I am sure it must be there but I can find it. Does anyone have the "Just the Facts Ma'am" requirements to achieve "Distinguished" status Rifle and Pistol?
Old November 22, 2010, 06:40 PM   #2
10s&Xs

I looked around the site, too, and there doesn't seem to be a good, high-level overview.

Getting the Distinguished badge through the CMP is achieved by earning 30 total points in EIC (Excellence in Competition) matches. Points are awarded to the top 10% non-distinguished shooters in a match, and the number of non-distinguished shooters competing determines how many awards (called "legs") are given out. For instance, a match with 40 non-distinguished shooters would have four legs awarded - one gold (10 points), one silver (8 points), and two bronze (6 points). Also, you must have one 8- or 10-point leg to earn the badge. You can compete in up to four matches per year and be eligible for points - any three sanctioned matches and the national championships at Camp Perry.

The rule book has all the details, including specs on what types of rifles and pistols can be used.

http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf
Old November 22, 2010, 06:57 PM   #3
4EVERM-14

10s&X's post covered the question well.
There have been some changes regarding the number of 'legs' at a given match. But there are more matches being approved. Usually attached to a regional or state championship ,stand alone matches can now be found. It is a prestigious award for anyone striving for 'Excellence in Competition'.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old November 22, 2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Casimer

I think that this table reflects the current rules regarding the leg point eligibility and distribution.

Old November 23, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Archer 9505

Thanks Much

Thanks for the info