The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2008, 01:18 PM   #1
shooter313

What do I need to buy to start loading with the Hornady L-N-L??

I am not new to reloading, but I am new to progressive reloaders. I am going to buy a new Hornady L-N-L, but I have no clue what I need to buy with it. Other than the shell plate, and a bag of 10 of the bushings which seem to be a great deal.
I am going to set it up to load .45ACP first, then add more later on. Other than the shell plate what else would I need to make this work? (Shell holders, how many? etc..)
I have a set of RCBS .45 Carbide dies, but from what I have read I am not sure if they will work in this press? I do not understand the powder measure either. To load the handgun loads I want, do I need to buy the mic adjustable insert for the powder measure? And if I do, do I need the other things to go with it that it says I need on the web site?
I am sorry if this is an old question, but I have searched this site several times now, and I dont see answers for this question.
Thank you all VERY MUCH for your help and understanding with my questions.
Gary Heaton
Lockport, NY
Old September 29, 2008, 02:42 PM   #2
warski

Gary,

The L-N-L AP comes with a "standard" powder rotor and metering unit, which is good for 5-100 grains of powder. Hornady makes a "pistol" rotor and metering unit that is good for .5-17 grains. Hornady recommends that you buy extra metering inserts, and have them pre-set for various powders so you can simply "L-N-L".

The AP does not come with the "Powder Through Expanders", or the "Taper Crimp Dies" you'll need if loading for auto loading pistols. They also have a "Powder Cop" die if you want to keep an eye on the charge.

It's a nice loader, and with the "get loaded" bullet program I don't see how you can go wrong. They've sent me 1600 bullets so far. I've been buying most of the Dies and Accessories from Natchez Shooters Supplies (www.natchezss.com). They have good prices and have had everything I've needed so far in stock.

Good luck,

Tom
Old September 29, 2008, 03:13 PM   #3
zippy13

Got scale?

The L-n-L has a lot of bells and whistles, may it serve you for many year. I assume you already have a good scale -- if not, now is the time to think about getting one.
Old September 29, 2008, 04:47 PM   #4
shooter313

Thanks for the answers guys, it is a big help.
I was wondering if you knew if my RCBS powder measure could be mounted on this press? It has always be very accurate in the past for both pistol and rifle loads. I have used it for many years until I bought the RCBS Chargemaster I have been using for the last few years for my rifle loads. As for the scale question, yes, I have a RCBS 10-10 scale as well.
I am still not clear on the shell holders however. Do I need one for each station on the press? I was planning on getting one of the powder cop dies, it is already on my list. But I will add the other one you suggested as well.
Again, thank you all for your help.
Gary Heaton
shooter313
Lockport, NY
Old September 29, 2008, 06:30 PM   #5
warski

The L-N-L AP does not use "shell holders", it uses "shell plates". Shell plates have five slots in them and hold the casing as it rotates around. A spring wraps around the shell plates and holds the casing securely. The spring dips at the ejector and input positions to let the casing easily slip in or out.

Shell plates are aproximately 5 times the price of shell holders, at about $30 each. You won't necessarily need a separate shell plate for each caliber, it depends on the size of the casing. For example, I use shell plate #1 for both 45ACP and 30-06.
Old September 29, 2008, 06:43 PM   #6
LHB1

Gary,
I use RCBS loading dies on both my Hornady LNL presses for .45 ACP and .44 Mag. I use the standard RCBS seater/taper crimp die for .45 ACP which seats and crimps in one operation. Have no problems with it. I have also used non Hornady powder measures (Reddings) on my LNL's but you must manually flip the powder charge arm when doing so. Get a good scale (RCBS 505 or 1010) to check the settings on your powder measure. Would suggest using an RCBS powder check die in space before seater/crimper.

Major rule for progressive presses:
NEVER TURN THE SHELL PLATE BACKWARDS TO CORRECT A PROBLEM. This can lead to double powder charges in one or more cases.

Last edited by LHB1; September 29, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old September 29, 2008, 07:35 PM   #7
theant

I would also go with the powder cop. The best $30 I spent it has saved me a couple of times. Also do not skimp on the scale and pick up a couple of reloading books, hornady or lyman. Best of all go slow. I have mine for a couple of months now and I take my time when I reload there is no rush. Also sit on these boards and soak up all the info you can from these valuable members.
Ant
Old September 29, 2008, 08:41 PM   #8
BigJakeJ1s

The case activated linkage that comes with the LNL AP will work with RCBS Uniflow measures.

Andy
Old September 29, 2008, 08:51 PM   #9
mikenbarb

I got a Pro-Jector and its a good idea to get a powder cop for over charged cases. Its a small price for safety.
Old September 29, 2008, 09:24 PM   #10
DIXIEDOG

Better stock up on components before it gets here, you won't want to stop using it once you start.

The main things that you will need that it doesn't come with are a shell plate, dies, calipers, scale, and components (primers, brass, powder, bullets, ....) It is an excellent press and if you run into any problems with setup Hornady has excellent tech support, they will take care of you with just one phone call.
Old September 29, 2008, 10:50 PM   #11
R.Ph. 380

Needed

Actually you probably need the Get Loaded again promotion that Hornady uses to lure people to buy their admittedly good press. Now I took that lure and bought back in June and sent my promotion request for my free 1000 bullets(230 grn XTP JHP) to them in July. Tomorrow is the last day of September, I've had to buy those same bullets at a gun Show because the two times I called and talked to Hornady Customer Service, I was told that that was their most ordered caliber and they were 2 to 3 weeks backordered. Told this twice so I bought at the gunshow, still haven't seen any out of Hornady. Now they have a good, maybe a great press and I do like it but if sellers at the Gun Shows can get the bullets, why can't they send them to their customers they have promised them to?
Bill

The Bill Of Rights: Void Where Progressives Roam
Old September 30, 2008, 03:54 AM   #12
RNG

Here is what I just ordered and received. I already had the dies, calipers, etc.

Hornady LNL
#10 Shell Plate for .40 S&W
#16 Shell Plate for .380/223
#45 Shell Plate for .45 ACP
10 pack of bushings (Press comes with 5 bushings)
3 pack of bushings
Pistol Rotor w/micrometer insert for the .380
Rifle micrometer
a spare large and small primer tube (Dillon)
Spare shell plate spring or two

Also, some other stuff you’ll need for the press:

Grease gun for the Zerk fittings.
Grease (I run Mobil 1 Synth on the LNL)
Oil (Again, I run Mobil 1 synth on my firearms and LNL)
Standard Hex Keys
(2) 7/16" x 2" Bolts
(2) 7/16" fender washers
(2) 7/16" lock washers
(2) Nuts or Nylocks
(Try the local hardware store, for mounting the press to the bench).

When you get the press, make sure you degrease the powder measure. Use mineral spirits, brake and parts cleaner, etc. Relube with a DRY Teflon lube or graphite (preferred).

Cheers,
Richard
Old September 30, 2008, 10:34 AM   #13
shooter313

thank you all for your replies, they have all been very helpful. A special thanks to warski for his reply:
Quote:
"The L-N-L AP does not use "shell holders", it uses "shell plates". Shell plates have five slots in them and hold the casing as it rotates around. A spring wraps around the shell plates and holds the casing securely. The spring dips at the ejector and input positions to let the casing easily slip in or out."

I knew I needed the shell plates, but it never dawned on me that you did not put shell holders in them..DUH!! I have never seen one of these in person I have only read about them, and seen a few photos of the presses. Now that you say it, it makes TOTAL SENSE to me how it works. Thank you very much!!

I have a large invintory of reloading equipment that I have accumulated over the years. Dies, scales, neck and case turners, calipers both dial and digital, etc..etc.. I have just never used or seen anyone use a progressive metalic reloader before. (I used to use a Mec Grabber for shot shells back in my Trap and Skeet days.)
You have ALL been a huge help in placing my order and once again I thank you all very much for your time and effort.
Shooter313
Gary Heaton
Lockport, NY
Old September 30, 2008, 08:46 PM   #14
lakebilly

RCBS lock out die

hey gary, greetings from the fingerlakes(ny) if you haven't already read some of the postings about the rcbs lock out die vs hornady's ck them out. should be getting my ap tomorrow! waiting w/bated breath. been cking these out for two years. good luck!
"Our destruction... From the innattention of the people to the concerns of their government... fail properly to scrutinze their conduct; that in this way they may be made dupes of designing men..." D. Webster
Old October 1, 2008, 01:19 PM   #15
DEDON45

Hey Shooter, check out some of the informative videos on Youtube (just search for "Hornady") ... there are some pretty detailed clips on there pertaining to the LnL AP...

And, yes, I have one, it's an awesome press!
Old October 2, 2008, 06:27 PM   #16
lakebilly

directions

hey shooter, many reads on fouling up the powder drop. make certain to clean as per directions. brake cleaner seems to be the consensus remedy. lb
"Our destruction... From the innattention of the people to the concerns of their government... fail properly to scrutinze their conduct; that in this way they may be made dupes of designing men..." D. Webster
Old October 4, 2008, 11:47 AM   #17
shooter313

Thanks a ton guys. I have been out for a couple of days, so I will give all this information a good going over in detail.
This is a great forum, filled with great people. I am very glad I found it.
When I get it set up and running I will give all of you a report on it. Seems like a great machine.
Thanks again,
Gary*