The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 16, 1999, 12:25 AM   #1
antenna

Recently purchased a S&W 442 in 38 Spl.
Love the thing, but the trigger pull is atrocious. Anyone out there modified the same or similar? This little revolver will also be used by the wife who's only 4'8".
Old November 16, 1999, 08:59 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Antenna, I recommend you take it to a competent smith for the trigger work. On a revolver there are many things that come into play. You can just change springs and get a lighter pull but you may get light strikes as well. If you don't have anyone near you feel free to e-mail me. I'd be happy to do the work for you. George
Old November 16, 1999, 12:00 PM   #3
BigG

If the trigger is typical S&W, I would leave it alone and take a course of physical conditioning to develop my grip strength. Lightening a double action only trigger can spell light hammer strikes and misfires.

I understand about the lady, mine is small too, but I taught her to keep your grip and pull through on the trigger. She does fine with her 442 Centennial Airweight. HTH

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

Old November 16, 1999, 01:22 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

J Frames have that problem, the trigger geometry precludes a light pull. But, a little polishing and lubing oft helps.

I urge you to leave any work beyond mere disassembly,polishing and lubing to a qualified smith.

And, a bit of physical conditioning on that strong hand won;t hurt either...
Old November 16, 1999, 06:09 PM   #5
antenna

Thanks guys,

Will consider what you said. Probably go with the physical hand conditioning like one of those spring grip workouts. Wife can't get her hand around the dang thing, so one of her girlfriends that does shoot on a routine basis, and who is also fairly small suggested that she work silly putty or some similar stuff while she watches TV to improve her hand strength. This is the first revolver I've ever owned so the questions might still be forthcoming. I've used a 1911 now for 13 years, 6 of those in the Corps.

Ciao guys...