The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2015, 05:48 PM   #51
jmorris

Vance, that one was working too despite the glob of corrosion on the battery and the residue that tinbucket was alert enough to notice after I took it apart. They all die of old age before one would let the alarm sound long enough to drain the battery.

The China battery I used for the photos went back into the $1 led flashlight after the photo.

All of my others were ok after I checked them out, too bad I had to take apart my PC alarms to check them too but I went ahead and put fresh batteries in all of them after a trip to the store to get "good ones". My little one loves flashlights and I'll let them live the rest of their life in them.

In any case likely not the OP's problem as his machine is new.
Old October 24, 2015, 06:37 PM   #52
Vance

If it's true that Dillon stopped using mechanical buzzers in their alarms, then the peizo/diode combination could have been wired up backwards and it's not going to work reverse polarity. I think it is just odd that he would get 4 bad ones in a row. Too bad 95% of electronic gizmo's are now made in China. People want cheap, they get low quality.
Old October 25, 2015, 09:15 AM   #53
THEWELSHM

This

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...-Control-Panel

thewelshm
Old October 25, 2015, 09:27 AM   #54
F. Guffey

Quote:
Respectfully if you can get a 1.5v AAA to "spark" its a miracle.
We're not talking about a 40Ah 12 v wet cell here.
Wogpotter, good point, I realize the single cell batter does not produce 2 volts, 1.5 is all the electromotive force I am going to get out of it. Then there is the speed of electricity, not shabby, it is just behind the speed of light.

Back to being the fan of the running start, I like the jump start. It is not easy to stop something that is running just below the speed of light. I understand we are not making a Frankenstein movie. The micro switch located in the top of the low primer warning switch has safety built into it. By-passing the switch for trouble shooting purposes only requires a wire to jump the contacts between the top of the battery and bottom of the micro switch.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; October 25, 2015 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add y
Old October 25, 2015, 12:04 PM   #55
Vance

That's a little spendy. $283.13 plus shipping

http://is.gd/Ky9ecX $41.95 Low powder alarm
http://is.gd/JoQbaq $68.95 Powder check die with alarm
http://is.gd/XlCUlb $25.95 Low primer alarm
Total is $136.85 plus shipping

That being said. I only use the low primer alarm my press came with and use my eyes to keep an eye on everything that is going on. You should do that any way even if you had the cadillac of monitoring systems installed.
Old October 25, 2015, 08:46 PM   #56
WVMountaineer

Man, I know you are aggravated but, these guys are just trying to help you. Blasting them every time they ask you a questions ensures they stop doing so. enjoy your buzzer free press as it seems that is what you are bent on having. God Bless
Old October 25, 2015, 09:33 PM   #57
jmorris

One can also eliminate all of the battery problems (or DC switching) if they jump through a few other hoops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFhnDQ-eUU

At that point all you need is a "Daddy, it stopped!" Alarm and they are not cheap...

Last edited by jmorris; October 25, 2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old October 28, 2015, 06:08 PM   #58
KEYBEAR

Well do I feel silly ?
I have my buzzer problem taken care of . I do not have a BUZZER I have something else (not sure what) .

Last week I had a call from Dillion and did learn a bunch . Dillion no longer use a BUZZER in the primer warning It has went to a little squealing thing .
I nor any of my friends can hear it .

Saturday I took the now working primer warning squealer to a local gun shop .
The shop owner has been a friend for over 40 years and we did a test .
He has a 650 Dillion on the counter and we stalled the new primer warning squealer on it . Every one that came into the shop was ask to listen to the Primer Warning and to tell me what they thought .

About 80 % heard nothing and the 20 % that did were under 25 years of age or said after the test they had very good hearing . All needed to stand with in a foot or less of the primer warning squealer to hear it .
Old October 28, 2015, 10:43 PM   #59
F. Guffey

Quote:
About 80 % heard nothing and the 20 % that did were under 25 years of age or said after the test they had very good hearing . All needed to stand with in a foot or less of the primer warning squealer to hear it .
Someone said they changed the system. I said this stuff does not drive me to the curb, then there was that time I said this stuff does not lock me up. When it comes to warning systems there is audible and their is visual. If you can not hear it there is a chance you can see it. Then there is that system that locks it up, shuts it down.

I have 2 of those, they are called lock out dies.

F. Guffey
Old October 28, 2015, 11:05 PM   #60
jmorris

KEYBEAR, I feel you/their pain , I have a 30dB hearing loss at 3000 Hz.

I too think they should have a lower tone for us "old guys".
Old October 29, 2015, 09:11 AM   #61
Vance

Quote:
Someone said they changed the system. I said this stuff does not drive me to the curb, then there was that time I said this stuff does not lock me up. When it comes to warning systems there is audible and their is visual. If you can not hear it there is a chance you can see it. Then there is that system that locks it up, shuts it down.

I have 2 of those, they are called lock out dies.

F. Guffey
You do know Keybear is talking about the low primer alarm? How is a powder lockout die going to fix that?
Old October 29, 2015, 09:21 AM   #62
KEYBEAR

Dillion makes a some great stuff but the low primer alarm is a joke .
Anyone that has shot for years has some hearing loss .
The old Low Primer Buzzer was great but some one thought they could save a buck . Just one more bean counter gives us something I/we can not use .

A warning light would of been as cheap and useable .
Old October 29, 2015, 09:41 AM   #63
jmorris

Is yours not the same as the one in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3hVi6PuduM

I have also tied into them for controls/visible alert like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFhnDQ-eUU
Old October 29, 2015, 10:18 AM   #64
wogpotter

I have the old "buzzer type" if you want I'll do a swap with you.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 29, 2015, 10:44 AM   #65
F. Guffey

Quote:
You do know Keybear is talking about the low primer alarm? How is a powder lockout die going to fix that?
Vance, yes I do, from the beginning.

Did you understand:

Quote:
I said this stuff does not drive me to the curb, then there was that time I said this stuff does not lock me up.
Did you understand the part where I said there were different warning systems, some audible and some visual?

Then there was that part about:

Quote:
Then there is that system that locks it up, shuts it down.
Meaning there is an audible system, a visual system and a mechanical system. The visual system could be wired to a light bar, it could be one light or a light for every system. Then? there could be red lights for stop, there could be green lights for go etc..

I was out of town when our dish washer quit, my wife called Sears, they came out, it was an expensive trip 'PLUS! to fix the machine it was going to cost more than a new dish washer. And then, I arrived home, I checked the dish washer. I repaired it for less then $5.00 with a micro switch.

Then my wife takes me to Sears. She was borderline unreasonable. She got her money back, then they ask her "What else can we do to make you happy?" She did not settle for the excuse "The repairman we sent to your house was the best one we have". I was happy I went, they gave her store credit, she gave it to me.

I did not want to know anything about a dish washer.

F. Guffey
Old October 29, 2015, 11:45 AM   #66
KEYBEAR

wogpotter Thank You for the offer but I would not do that to you .

jmorris In the video I hear the old buzzer not the new replacement .
I really do not think you would hear the new one on a video .
Old October 29, 2015, 01:00 PM   #67
wogpotter

Oh well, I tried.
I give up.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 29, 2015, 07:10 PM   #68
Vance

Quote:
Quote:
Vance, yes I do, from the beginning.

Did you understand:

Quote:
I said this stuff does not drive me to the curb, then there was that time I said this stuff does not lock me up.
Did you understand the part where I said there were different warning systems, some audible and some visual?

Then there was that part about:

Quote:
Then there is that system that locks it up, shuts it down.
Meaning there is an audible system, a visual system and a mechanical system. The visual system could be wired to a light bar, it could be one light or a light for every system. Then? there could be red lights for stop, there could be green lights for go etc..

I was out of town when our dish washer quit, my wife called Sears, they came out, it was an expensive trip 'PLUS! to fix the machine it was going to cost more than a new dish washer. And then, I arrived home, I checked the dish washer. I repaired it for less then $5.00 with a micro switch.

Then my wife takes me to Sears. She was borderline unreasonable. She got her money back, then they ask her "What else can we do to make you happy?" She did not settle for the excuse "The repairman we sent to your house was the best one we have". I was happy I went, they gave her store credit, she gave it to me.

I did not want to know anything about a dish washer.

F. Guffey
I didn't understand 99% of your post because your rambling about unrelated stuff to the original topic. I still do not under stand how a powder lockout die is going to fix the low primer alarm.
Old October 29, 2015, 07:25 PM   #69
KEYBEAR

Vance
I also have a problem keeping up with some post ?
Sometimes it is just a good idea to just let it go .
Old October 29, 2015, 11:38 PM   #70
Vance

Didn't mean to clutter up your thread. I'm glad I got one of the low primer alarms that has an actual buzzer.

I'm sure an equivalent part could be found at Mouser Electronics or Digikey. I'd be willing to install it for you.
Old October 30, 2015, 06:13 AM   #71
F. Guffey

Quote:
I'd be willing to install it for you.
Vance, do you understand KEYBEAR has received 3 low primer checkers? Do you understand they all were in working order?

Then there is that part about the Sears repairman, Sears claimed he was the best one they had, and, even he missed one.

Forgive, in case you missed the point: I believe he is very capable of installing the devise. Point? It is possible to count the primers and count the cases to be primed. Then there are volt/ohm meters, continuity testers. A reloader with a basic understanding of shop skills could be capable of making a tester.

F. Guffey
Old October 30, 2015, 06:18 AM   #72
F. Guffey

Quote:
I think it is just odd that he would get 4 bad ones in a row.
Forgive, again. KEYBEAR has received and installed 4 bad ones. Did you miss the part where I said I would replace the buzzer? with a light.

F. Guffey
Old October 30, 2015, 08:25 AM   #73
Vance

Quote:
Vance, do you understand KEYBEAR has received 3 low primer checkers? Do you understand they all were in working order?

F. Guffey
Yes I understand that he received multiple replacements. Did you understand where he said he could not hear the new alarms that were working?

I work in an electronics shop. I solder all day long. You do understand I was being nice to offer to wire in a louder buzzer?
Old October 30, 2015, 08:44 AM   #74
F. Guffey

Quote:
You do understand I was being nice to offer to wire in a louder buzzer?
Quote:
I'm sure an equivalent part could be found at Mouser Electronics or Digikey. I'd be willing to install it for you.
Install the louder buzzer on the devise or install the warning devise on the press?

Before that I thought you responded in a manner rather rude.

F. Guffey
Old October 30, 2015, 01:03 PM   #75
Unclenick
Staff

Keybear,

It looks to me like this may be the original buzzer type. It's rated 2-4V, but probably still operates but at lower volume on 1.5 volts. Here's a more expensive source, which I include only because it gives dimensions when you follow the Datasheets link, and they appear correct for the space in the Dillon blue plastic housing. I can't verify that the Radio Shack version matches it exactly without getting one, but they probably all come from the same factory in the end. The frequency is 300-500 Hz, which is a lot easier to hear than the 2 kHz or so that the piezo sounder produces.

The piezo electric version undoubtedly draws about a tenth of the current the electromechanical buzzer does, and thus the batteries are less likely to run down on them. That and the fact the electromechanical buzzers are less commonly available would be the issues.

Current Version

It occurs to me another approach would be to turn the buzzer sideways, drill a small hole there and install a lamp from any one-battery flashlight. Something like this, would also work, considering how seldom it actually has to come on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dillon Sounder.JPG (73.4 KB, 59 views)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle