The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 25, 1999, 07:03 PM   #1
Exiled And Addicted
Retired Screen Name

Anyone know what type or brand of paint is the most effective for highlighting/illuminating the front sight on a defensive pistol? I have heard the term "day-glo". Is paint specific for this use sold at places on the net like Brownells or UltOut? And what color grabs the eye the best in low light conditions? Thanks.
Old May 25, 1999, 07:42 PM   #2
swifter...

At the risk of causing uncontrolled giggling, I find nail polish works very well, lasts quite a while, is very inexpensive, and readily available. It also comes in colors that, well, go to a nail shop and look! I find a flourescent green catches my eye best in low light. I prop my gun so the front sight is relatively level, and place one generous drop just below the top edge, then let it dry overnight.

------------------
Shoot carefully... swifter...

Old May 26, 1999, 05:56 AM   #3
Tom B

Swifter - How did you come across this information??
Old May 26, 1999, 08:52 AM   #4
Gino

Hey Exiled,
I bought some of that latex glow-in-the-dark stuff at a gunshow. It was prob a mistake! It works well and is very visible, but it comes off relatively easy. If the nail polish is really visible, I think that would be the way to go, stays on and cheaper too.

HTH!
Old May 26, 1999, 10:49 AM   #5
fubsy

could you cover that glow in the dark paint with clear nail polish???..I dont know if there compatable....but that might give ya what ya need....fubsy.
Old May 26, 1999, 12:39 PM   #6
Rosco Benson

Nail polish is the traditional choice for painting sights, probably due to availability...right there on the wife's dresser. Despite the fact that it is available in a dizzying array of colors, it is less than ideal as sight paint. Its main problem is that it is glossy.

Most hobby shops offer small bottles of model enamel in bright colors which dry to a FLAT finish. I find bright yellow easy to see.

Rosco
Old May 27, 1999, 08:19 PM   #7
Gino

Okay, so the type to get is enamel? So, anyone want to buy a $20 set of latex "Bright Sites" that I got at a gun show? Hey Rosco, where were you when I was wasting my hard earned money? lol (as a tear trickles from the corner of my eye)