The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 12:38 AM   #1
breakingcontact

Deceptive on gunbroker?

Why are people posting images with multiple items (say 4 magazines) when the auction is only for one?

I'm pretty computer savvy, but I can easily see how this could confuse some into thinking they are buying 4 magazines while the auction is only for one.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:00 AM   #2
BarryLee

Caveat emptor...
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 26, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
chiefr

When purchasing anything on GB, I strongly recommend reading the description word by word. If there is any uncertainty whatsoever, I recommend contacting the seller. If there is a problem with the picture, contact the seller.

Did the ad you mention read 4 magazines and when reading the description did it say price is for one?

If there is a problem with the seller or fraud is suspected, click on help and customer support.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Greguw

As other have posted read the ad very well and if it sounds to good to be true read then ad again ... LOL
Most users on the site know what items and firearms are going for these days . With the firearms ban hype these days I see a lot ads that are designed to miss lead the non informed new buyer .
I just seen a ad for AK , was a dress up Romanian and the guy is calling it a vepr ... price is low to entice buyers .
Lots of knock off magazines out there ... not even high quality and there asking all the money .
And don't get sucked into the buy it now with a low priced items ... thats another trick on knock off stuff .
For all you new guys ... Do your research and if its to good to be true ... It usually is .
Old February 26, 2013, 12:47 PM   #5
breakingcontact

Re: Deceptive on gunbroker?

Ha....ummm...im good to go.

I know about what things are going for and I read the ads and usually contact the seller to ask some question before buying to make sure they have good communication.

I just think its kind of shady. Why show 4 mags if the auction is for one? Too lazy to take another pic?
I wouldn't do that.

Same thing with showing a pic of a gun with a scope then saying in the ad its not included.

No I haven't been burned but I bet some have.
Old February 26, 2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I've been burned in that manner. Not on Gunbroker, but a small-ish reloading forum. A guy ran an ad for two presses and showed a photo of both presses set up with dies, one for .45 Auto and one for 9mm, with several accessories. There was NO disclaimer that the dies and accessories weren't included.

It wasn't an auction, it was a "For sale" ad, and I bought. When the box arrived, there were no dies, and most of the accessories were AWOL. I contacted the seller to ask where the dies were, and he replied that they weren't included, and that "any reasonably intelligent person" would have known that based on the price. Mind you, the ad also stated clearly that he was selling "everything" because he was getting out of reloading.

I was rather (ahem) "displeased," to say the least. What had seemed like a good deal is going to end up being only a so-so deal by the time I buy the dies and other stuff that wasn't there. Just to pile on, many months later the guy is still on the forum and still reloading -- bragging about his new Dillon press.

So he was basically just a liar, and I allowed myself to be fooled by the fact that it was a small forum where everyone seemed pretty much legitimate and helpful.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:28 PM   #7
breakingcontact

Re: Deceptive on gunbroker?

That's the worst when a shady person tries to blame you. Like you should have been able to read their mind.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:38 PM   #8
shootniron

Why do companies use sexy models...it helps sales.