The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 15, 2012, 08:11 PM   #26
Beach boy

Got 2

I picked up 2 P99's over the past 3 or 4 years, both of them in .40. The first was a full size AS model and the second a DAO Compact, which can also use the full size magazines.
The biggest drawback I've found has been the high price of the OEM mags ( which are mec-gars). At $50.00 or so for the 12 rounders, it gets expensive to build up a nice group of 8-10 mags. I haven't seen any SW99 in .40 lately, which I plan to try next.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:30 PM   #27
fastbolt

I also tend to prefer the AS version of the 99 model line. I've long felt that the original sear action/mode (currently called Anti-Stress, or AS) offered an excellent trigger for a plastic service-type pistol. I happen to like a nicely made traditional double action pistol (DA/SA, if you'd prefer) for a "working gun", so that's not really a surprise, though.

I've been through 3 of the P99/SW99 armorer classes, and have tried to keep updated on the continuing revisions and refinements as Walther has improved upon their 99 series. Walther has continued to offer some improvements and options as the model line has evolved.

I can't disagree with many of the comments offered in this thread. I've heard similar comments made by S&W/Walther America folks regarding the frequency (or lack, thereof) of getting guns from Germany, and Walther's seeming lack of interest in a lot of adverting or promotion of their P99's.

I've been told that in recent years Walther has been focusing its marketing efforts on the international market, and the American market wasn't as much of a priority. It hasn't been just waiting for shipments of firearms from Germany, either. I've certainly had to wait now and again for parts shipments to eventually arrive from Germany.

Maybe now that Walther has decided to create their own import company ... (moving away from the days of Interarms, and then Walther America in more recent years) ... we may see some more attention paid to the American commercial market. Hope so.

As much as I like my pair of SW99's (SW9940 & SW999c), if Walther were ever to offer a compact version of the PPQ, I'd be very interested. (I have enough full-size pistols, and prefer the more compact versions for my retirement CCW usage.) Unfortunately, the last time I inquired about the possibility of seeing a compact PPQ, the info I received from Germany was that there were no plans to offer one.

In the meantime, the SA trigger mode of the standard AS guns, like my SW99's, is fine (even a bit lighter in weight than the specifications for the SA mode of the PPQ), and it still gives me initial DA first shot capability ... so I'm fine.

I hope Walther does well with their new endeavor becoming their own importer for the US.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:02 PM   #28
Icky

Hyatt does not have the P99's in stock they are saying 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
Old December 18, 2012, 03:26 PM   #29
DAdams

Fastbolt thanks for your thoughtful response.

Have you been into a PPQ? How do the internals differ between the AS and the PPQ mechanically?

I have heard really good things about the PPQ trigger operationally and particularly regarding short reset.
Edmar Mednis
Old December 19, 2012, 07:37 PM   #30
9mm1033

I know one P99 that will not be on the free market. It's mine, ten years old and has stayed with me where other brands have been traded away or sold. I just don't think many shooter's in America are aware of the 9mm Walther model P99 and it's variations. If they are not stocked in LGS, potential buyers cannot touch, operate or point it. Walther advertising is mainly in Europe. It's popular with European LE.

Old December 20, 2012, 03:33 PM   #31
Fishbed77

Here a (blurry) photo of my P99AS posing with my Spikes M4LE.

It's a pistol I will NEVER sell. Folks who don't own a P99AS, don't know what they are missing. In my experience, it is the best polymer 9mm on the market, bar none.

Last edited by Fishbed77; December 20, 2012 at 03:45 PM.