The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 15, 2005, 07:45 PM   #1
uvindex

Got an 870 Marine Magnum today

Hi All:

So I picked up my new Remington 870 Marine Magnum today. This is my first shotgun (I used to fire my dad's Browning 20 gauge many years ago). Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with it. I am sure that when I first learned that such a shotgun existed I thought, "That is so cool and functional that I gotta have one!" I do have a boat and use it in saltwater so perhaps I'll take the new baby boating. Even though I'm not sure what I'll be doing with it, I'm certainly happy to have it and look forward to firing it!

Stories, tips, advice, hints, useful links for a shotgun newbie are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Old July 15, 2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good shotgun. Now go shoot it. Shoot it at clays, tin cans, landfill rats or whatever. Shoot it until you can do so without conscious thought. Getting proficient is fun, not to mention essential.

The software is more crucial than the hardware.
Old July 15, 2005, 08:36 PM   #3
CorpseEater

You're a lucky man, and made a DAMN good choice! I love the looks of the marine magnum and its always been on my loooooong list of things to get when the funds allow.

If you havent yet, take it down and inspect everything and give it a decent cleaning. Bring it with you on your boat for the hell of it, itll come in handy if you pull up a big ass shark.

Once youve made sure everything is in good working order just get out there and shoot the living hell out of it!
Old July 15, 2005, 08:49 PM   #4
gimmejr

I like the marine magnum, Ive been eyeing one at my local gunstore. I wouldnt know what to do with it either.
Old July 15, 2005, 10:25 PM   #5
FLXRing

Congrats on the purchase!

I just bought a Marine magnum as my first shotgun last week. I'm going to take it out and start a long relationship this weekend I broke the shotgun down the other night and all I can say is.... Good old fashioned American engineering ya gotta love it.
Old July 15, 2005, 11:36 PM   #6
uvindex

Thanks for the good words and tips folks! (And congrats FLXRing on your new "Mariner" -- that's what the guys at my local gun shop call the Marine Magnum.)

I'll post again after I've put a few boxes of shells through it.
Old July 16, 2005, 12:17 AM   #7
Georgian

I would love to have one, but my budget limits me to a standard 870 HD model, which I'm gonna try to order tommorrow, hehe. Should I go ahead and buy the model with the factory 2 shot ext.? I dont feel that I really have a need for 2 extra shots, but you nvr know.

God Bless
Old July 16, 2005, 11:47 AM   #8
chris in va

Nice gun. Just make sure you can legally have one on your boat.
Old July 17, 2005, 07:13 PM   #9
9mmMike

Quote:
Thanks for the good words and tips folks! (And congrats FLXRing on your new "Mariner" -- that's what the guys at my local gun shop call the Marine Magnum.)
IIRC, that's what Mossberg calls their version.

Congrats on a very cool SG. I have wanted a MM for quite some time but I also have no idea what I use it for.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old July 26, 2005, 06:47 PM   #10
progunner1957

SWEEEEEEEET!!!

What do the 870 M/M's sell for??
Old July 26, 2005, 08:37 PM   #11
uvindex

Quote:
SWEEEEEEEET!!!
What do the 870 M/M's sell for??
Thank you! (I still haven't fired it yet -- been kind of busy. ) The list price according to Remington's site is $620. I paid $529.95 at my local Remington retailer, Bill Jackson Inc. in Pinellas Park, FL. Gunbroker.com is showing $466.

Quote:
IIRC, that's what Mossberg calls their version. [Mariner]
Thanks 9mmMike, you're right (I poked around on Mossberg's site and found that model). Thanks for educating me so that I don't perpetuate that oops.
Old July 26, 2005, 10:20 PM   #12
The Rabbi

I have one I bought on my daughter's 12th birthday.
I have had a chance to shoot clays with it. I love the gun and I am not a shotgun person. It cleans up well and functions excellently. Only trouble I had was trying to use Aguila mini shells in it. Dont do this! I locked mine up.
But I was so impressed when my son wanted a shotgun I got an 870 youth in 20ga.
But the Marine looks and feels like a gun that will last a very long time.
Old July 28, 2005, 10:10 PM   #13
impact

Yep thats a nice looking gun! I keep thinking I gotta have one. and I'm sure one day I will

Congrats on the new gun she is a looker!
Old August 6, 2005, 03:05 PM   #14
mac762

richocets

Wow I hope I spelled that right. Anyways you'll probably want to shoot some things to see what she'll do. Especially with a shotgun like that, that you'll be shooting things relatively close you may want to wear shooting glasses.
I,ve been hit by several(pellets) in my lifetime. Once my friend shot a tree right in front of us with birdshot. Abunch of it hit us in the legs.
And I made the mistake of shooting an old refrigerator. That thing must have been made about 1952. It didn't even put a dent in it,hardly scratched the paint. One pellet hit me on the groin and I turned around to see my friend rubbing his lip where he got hit.
I've even had them bounce back off something small as the tack holding up the target.
Riot guns are the s***!
Old August 6, 2005, 09:44 PM   #15
NINE

I love mine... bought it in 97 or so. Still looks new (love that finish!) You may notice a funny noise in the butt stock when you tilt it up or down. There is usually a loose washer running along the stock bolt.
Old August 7, 2005, 11:06 PM   #16
gimmejr

Just picked up one myself.
Old August 7, 2005, 11:19 PM   #17
uvindex

Quote:
I love mine... bought it in 97 or so. Still looks new (love that finish!) You may notice a funny noise in the butt stock when you tilt it up or down. There is usually a loose washer running along the stock bolt.
Nice guns there NINE! I did notice that mine rattled when I moved it around -- it was the swivel for the shoulder strap (seems not many people, including me, use that shoulder strap).

Quote:
Just picked up one myself.
Nice gimmejr. Congrats!

Still haven't shot mine, and I've had it since July 15th.
Old August 11, 2005, 05:57 PM   #18
CobrayCommando

Nine how long is that shotty on the bottom? overall and barrel..
Old August 12, 2005, 05:23 AM   #19
NINE

The OAL is just over 31". The barrel is 14". This is a Norinco HP9-1.

I am hoping to build a 870P with a 12.5" barrel this fall. I'm Canada BTW... if the barrel is manufactured(not just cut), and the OAL is over 26", everything is fine. No tax stamp etc. The 14" is a heck of a grouse gun!

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=153569
Old August 12, 2005, 02:21 PM   #20
CobrayCommando

Damn your Canadian eyes!

What kind of crazy laws...
Old August 12, 2005, 03:44 PM   #21
IronBalls

their a bit nose heavy for my tastes... but the first mod i would suggest is a "dynamic trigger and action job" - which will evolve naturally over the time it takes to shoot 800 rounds..
Old August 18, 2005, 07:41 AM   #22
RTFM

Nice Shotty!
As others have stated, one is on my list also.

Here is a general question for you shotgun guys, can a EMPTY shotgun be cycled and dry fired repeatedly?

I find my self with my Mosinis always cycling and dry firing them, would this harm a shot gun?
Old August 19, 2005, 10:22 AM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

870s can be dry cycled indefinitely. The buzz was that dry firing one in very cold weather could break the firing pin. Seen it happen, once.