The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Pirelli

Rcbs case trimmer help

Just purchased an RCBS case trimmer (trim pro model)
Shell holder # 27
Now the shell holder (device that holds the shell) will not slide into hole of shell holder holder ('U' shaped device to hold the shell holder) it to marked #27.
What to do? I don't want to have to grind the hole larger to make it fit.

Last edited by Pirelli; May 5, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
F. Guffey

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/401...nd-w-10mm-auto

At the last Market Hall Gun Show, a dealer was selling parts, some of the parts belong to the RCBS Trim Pro, 12 shell holders for $15.00, I do not have the Trim Pro trimmer but when I do. I have shell holders.

Instructions plus a parts list, 3 pages.

F. Guffey
Old May 5, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3
Pirelli

I hav the instructions. The shell holder does not fit in the shell holder groove. I ground out the 'U' until it fit.

Now the TP actuating rods do not go out far enough to grab the shell holder.

RCBS's customer service hours are great. 10 to 10:15 on Tuesday.
Old May 5, 2012, 10:47 PM   #4
F. Guffey

Forgive, I have tried to work through the question, you could be installing the ā€œUā€ shaped shell holder backwards. It is possible the trimmer came with a shell holder, the shell holder is held in place with two screws, and, the handle is cammed forward when the handle is pushed down, meaning the leaver must be in the up position before a case can be installed.

F. Guffey
Old May 5, 2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Pirelli

There are no screws. The trimmer didn't come with any shell holders. To install the 'U' I push down the handle to push out the actuating rods. They fit in the two holes perfect and the holder slides down into place.
I then push down on the handle to push the holder off the back plate. Then I take the shell holder to slide back behind the plate. Bit it does not go forward enough to slide behind to lock the shell holder in place.
I have tried flipping the plate holder around, upside down
Old May 5, 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
reloader28

When I first got my trimmer, I had a hard time getting some casings to fit. It was too tight.

Inside and underneath the housing, there are some thin little washers that make the pressure and space to hold the case when you let go of the handle. I had to take out 1 or 2 of these washers to make it work. You might give that a try.

I cant really explain it better than that. Turn the trimmer over and you should see what I'm talking about.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Bill Daniel

RCBS case trimmer help

Pirelli, I have the Trim pro also. The U shaped plate is the shell holder. You do not install a separate shell holder.
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old May 7, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
603Country

Bill Daniel, good catch on that. Now that I reread what the OP wrote, it was clear from the first what he was trying do, though unsuccessfully.
Old May 7, 2012, 09:03 PM   #9
1Hobie

I have one also. There is the two studs that stick out and to change shell holders, you press down on the handle pop the one off and slide the next one on to the studs and release pressure on the handle. To insert a cartridge you just push down on the handle a bit and slide the cartridge into place. Quick and easy.

BTW Pirelli, check out the three way trimmer heads. You can trim, chamfer and de-burr in one process.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instru...structions.pdf

Hobie

Last edited by 1Hobie; May 7, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:23 AM   #10
Edward429451

Yes, the flat plate is the shell holder for the trimmer. The flat of the plate goes back towards the handle that you push down.

Keep an eye on the bolt that holds down the on/off lever. If it works loose, it strips the aluminum out pretty quick. It's an easy fix, but still...