The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 4, 2011, 10:31 PM   #1
mikiep

20gauge shot

Kind of a dumb question here and I think I already know the answer but just making sure. I have a older rem. 870 pump about 20 - 25 years old with a modified choke that's built in to the barrel. Anyway, I was wondering if there is a limit to the size of shot I can shoot with a modified choke? Is #2 shot which I believe is the largeat shot for a 20g ok with a mod. choke?
Thanks guys
Old July 5, 2011, 05:29 AM   #2
pabuckslayer08

Any choke tube can technically be shot through with any size, otherwise you cant sell it as a 20ga. Its illegal to sell 20ga ammo that wont shoot through every type of 20ga. With a modified choke you have nothing to worry about
Old July 5, 2011, 06:08 AM   #3
oneounceload

From #9 to slugs, you're good to go, now how well a particular load LIKES that fixed M choke will be determined at the pattern plate
Old July 5, 2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

You didn't say how old a gun so the only caveat is steel shot. Don't use it. As for the rest I have everything from #8 on up to 000, 00 and 3 kinds of slugs going through an IM choke so your M choke will probably be fine with anything you put through it. Figure out what your likely target is, size the shot to your shooting then start patterning to find out what your gun likes. All shot is not equal and some guns are picky while others are pretty versatile. Here is hoping you have a forgiving gun that likes everything.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--