The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 1, 2005, 08:52 AM   #1
krismus16

Manufacture Date by Serial Number???

I am hoping someone can help me find the manufacture date by serial number (D 863178)for a Smith & Wesson .38 Special & P. Haven't been able to find a site where I can do this online. Any help is appreciated!
Old July 2, 2005, 01:52 AM   #2
BillCA

I am hoping someone can help me find the manufacture date by serial number (D 863178)for a Smith & Wesson .38 Special & P. Haven't been able to find a site where I can do this online. Any help is appreciated!

You didn't specify the model number but it looks like you tried to say it was a M&P model, probably a military & police model 10. With a D863xxx serial number your gun was made in 1976. It should be a model 10, 12, 13, 14 or 45.

To find the model number, open the cylinder and look on the inside of the frame underneath the barrel. You should see "Model 10" or "Mod 10" stamped there. The serial number is usually on the bottom of the grip.