The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 11, 2002, 01:30 AM   #1
VictorLouis

Lockbox or safe: Quick Access

As my boy is near crawling age, I must get something soon. I wanted to know what you do, or would do. I want to balance reasonably quick access of a handgun for my spouse when I'm not at home, and for me when I'm asleep.

Be it a safe or lockbox, there are 4 basic types of entry available: Tumbler dial, digital key pad, Simplex buttons or standard key lock.(I've no interest in the unit with 'fingerpad' entry.) I'm leaning toward a small safe, such as the Sentry units offered at Wal-Mart. They are far bulkier and heavier than the lock boxes in order to discourage the average juvenile burglar that's in a hurry. Plus, you get a modicum of fire protection for documents and cash.

Dial tumbler:
The first two numbers of the combination could be entered, requiring only a spin to the 3rd and release of the handle for entry. Problem is, you couldn't readily see it at night. Any flashlight left near it for such contingency would bound to be missing just when it was needed.

Key lock:
Usually of the circular, bicycle lock or vending type, a key could be placed onto an elastic lanyard which we would wear on our wrists. Even with some discipline, the key could be misplaced, but such a lock can be indexed in the dark by feel.

Simplex:
I really feel it could be confusing when frightened. The keys are not numbered and are relatively close together. I think a bright little burglar could get into one one with just a few moments of effort, though I may be wrong.

Key pad:
While I know that batteries can and do fail, there is an indicator light for low battery, and a back-up battery installed. The keys are lighted once you touch it, and it could be programmed to a familiar number, such as our ATM PIN.

What do you folks think?
Old January 11, 2002, 10:22 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Go simplex. It's more foolproof than electronics and batteries do fail you when you need them.
Old January 11, 2002, 01:26 PM   #3
jthuang

I agree, Simplex works. I've done drills in the dark opening my R&D Enterprises Handgun Box, no problems -- trick is to find the "end" button (whichever end you prefer, I like the "end" facing the end of my bed) and then entering your combo. No batteries to die, no key to lose.

Justin
Old January 11, 2002, 01:45 PM   #4
DFS

Lockout

I went with the Mossberg keypad system and really like it. It is very fast and doesn't take up a lot of space. I keep it in my, bolted to a shelf. My set up is a Glock 22 mounted with a Streamlight. I don't want to have a problem, as my kids do get up during the night. Want to make sure that I can see what is going on. Also since I just sleep in my boxer I have no place to carry anything. I keep the weapon with a empty chamber and a mag loaded with 10 rounds. Hope this helps. Take care