The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 10, 2016, 01:18 AM   #1
jmicheals32

Recommend gear for new hunter: California D3-5

Besides a good rifle/scope and binos, what would you recommend in regards to gear for hunting deer (& maybe bear)? I've read a lot of forums already, but thought some of you who hunt the D zones could maybe give more specific advice on camo, scent control, range finders, shooting sticks, bipod, etc, etc.

What would is say is...
- required
- suggested
- overkill/waste of time

Thanks.
Old March 10, 2016, 10:38 PM   #2
Panfisher

Personally I would add a couple of good knivesand a good pair of broken in boots. Oh and plenty of practice ammo and time at the range.
Old March 11, 2016, 02:51 AM   #3
Scorch

Those areas have a longish season, which means you wil be hunting in the heat early on, a little cooler later, so have a good pack with water and extra layers.

Study up on how to gut a deer, in the warm weather you want to get them gutted and cooling as quickly as possible. I have a story about a friend who shot a deer, and since he didn't know how to clean it, he went to town so he could call me and ask how. Don't be like him.

Just about any decent rifle will do in those areas, I used to hunt around Kit Carson, Grass Valley, and Emigrant Gap with my Winchester 94 many years ago. Shots are generally close because of so many trees, the deer hold pretty well until you are just about on top of them. There are more deer in areas with oaks than areas with Ponderosas.

If you can sit still, get there to your spot in the dark and wait for first light and start looking for movement. If you just gotta move, move slowly and work sidehill in areas between bedding and water.

Bucks are the last up and the first to bed. If you are going to hunt during the day you will have to work cover pretty well.

In the evening, you can catch them heading to water just before sunset.
Old March 13, 2016, 10:30 AM   #4
old roper

I haven't hunted Ca in years but wife's folk lived Stockton we used to hunt D-5 and we hunted high. You have best access on all three with Pacific Crest Trail.

You can scout zone that you like to hunt and if I had to pick a place it be one that has Wilderness.

D-5 if weather got cold they start to move lower onto private land so we did pretty good first part of season and we normally stay week or so.

I take good pack as I like to be out all day and plenty of water and good pair of binoculars. I'd pick spots that were more open to hunt so didn't hunt timber very much. Those big rock outcropping bucks like to hide around that.

Well good luck
NRA Life Member
Old March 13, 2016, 11:35 AM   #5
bearhuntr

I believe next to binos, a good range finder is a must. Some times it is good to know exactly the range on an animal so that you do not wound it or miss it. I cannot state how many times a range finder helped me harvest a deer.
Old March 14, 2016, 11:19 AM   #6
AllenJ

I've hunted D3, Feather Falls, Grass Valley, and Brush Creek/Bucks Lake areas extensively. Lots of brush and trees, very thick in most areas. My daypack contains knife, sharpener, rope, water, snacks and fire making material. The only thing I've not used is the fire making materials so far. Longest shot to date in these areas is about 40 yards, I don't see a need for range finder, shooting stick, or bipod. Be sure and don't miss out hunting during bad weather, there are some really nice bucks in these zones but due to the topography and dense brush getting them out in the open during shooting hours is rare at best in good weather. Good luck to you.
Old March 15, 2016, 08:15 AM   #7
Jack O'Conner

Years ago, I was stationed at Travis AF Base in northern California. My friend and I had great luck hunting the high country of Carson-Iceberg Wilderness. Our shots tended to be approx. 150 yards or so.

I suggest a good pair of binoculars such as the H2O model by Bushnell in 10X. This model has very clear and bright optics but affordable at less than $125.00. I paid $100.00 for mine about 10 years ago.

Everyone has their own favorite among knives. But you can't go wrong with the BUCK model 110 which is a sturdy built folder. Don't forget your drag rope!

Good hunting to you.
Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; March 15, 2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old March 15, 2016, 12:22 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...cammo, scent control, range finders, shooting sticks, bipod..." Most of this stuff is unnecessary, regardless of where you are. Good boots are not.
Camouflage doesn't hide movement and absolutely must match the terrain. Woodland, for example, is no good in desert or rocky terrain. In any case, Bambi is colour blind, but camouflage is designed to break up your shape. And blaze orange may be required anyway.
Bambi is attuned to movement as much as scent too. Keep the wind in your face and your scent mostly stops being an issue. Also means you have to pay attention to where the wind is coming from. A wee bottle of scent free talcum powder will help when the wind appears to be gone.
You will not have time to fiddle with a range finder or shooting sticks or a bipod(both really just add weight anyway) if/when Bambi pops up out of nowhere. You need to be ready to shoot, off hand, out to about 100 yards. Practice on a 9"(approximate kill zone on a deer) pie plate with the ammo you'll be using until you can hit the pie plate every time. Your rifle does not have to be MOA accurate either. As long as it's consistent.
Old March 15, 2016, 04:18 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I haven't hunted in California.

But, if the descriptions of the D3/D5 areas from other people (here and elsewhere) are accurate, I'd have a difficult time deciding whether or not to take binoculars. In thick scrub, they're nearly useless and frequently become a major annoyance.
I would probably opt for an iron-sight rifle, rather than scoped.
I wouldn't even consider shooting sticks or a bipod.
Camo would be of no concern.
The range finder would be left at home, if I even owned one.
And scent control is just watching the wind and not covering yourself in deodorant and cologne.

If you have the time, getting your boots on the ground for some scouting will be more help than any modern hunting 'tool' ever could be.
Old March 15, 2016, 06:21 PM   #10
old roper

This is two Wilderness within D3/D5.

http://www.tahoeactivities.com/desolation-wilderness/

http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView?WID=363

No question there is lot of timber in those units but also open terrain.

I use to hunt the open country same as I do here in Co.
NRA Life Member