The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 7, 2002, 01:40 AM   #1
PaladinVC

LED Lights?

While enjoying my Photon III, I got to thinking about LED lights and how terrific they are. Are there any tactical lights that use LED's for illumination? They seem powerful, long-lived and durable, and yet I can't find a single LED light that can be attached to a firearm. Is there a good reason for this, or should I start running for the patent office?
Old January 8, 2002, 10:06 AM   #2
Foxy

Surefire's Millenium foregrip has LED navigation lights, and one of their monster bright lights on it. I guess you use the LED's for moving around and the main one for blinding people
Old January 8, 2002, 12:34 PM   #3
Lightfighter

A company called TRG makes LED powered Lithium battery Tac Lights. They run for 24 hours on a set of batteries and the bulb life is 100,000 hours. I have sold a few and they are nice. Not as bright as a surefire, but not so dainty as to require limited use.
Old January 9, 2002, 12:57 AM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I've plugged in "standard-sized" red/orange/green LEDs into the AA mag-Lite & Snap-On MiniMaglites (ensure polarity to work - it's an On/Off test) which give "acceptable" map-reading capabilities, but have yet to find a source for any "high-intensity" white LEDs.

Again - I've yet to be able to test any WHITE LEDs - of ANY flavor.

Although the high-intensity white-ones would be "preferrable" for a high-intensity type-of-thing (& that debatable w/o any testing for "room-illumination," etc.), the "other colors" (especially red, for non-diminished night-vision), will last, on one paired-set of AA alkalines, will last, for a continuously ON, for over 2 years.

Read that last again.

I have personally tested a standard RED LED panel light, & perfectly suitable for any low-light map-viewing, & that can merely be plugged directly into a standard MagLite MiniMag (AA flashlight, or an (actually "better") Snap-On AA) .... they'll last for 2 years continuous, & have yet to see any degradation for using others intermittently.

Has its possibilities ....
Old January 9, 2002, 08:36 AM   #5
Coronach

Surefire also makes a LED flashlight. IIRC it has about a dozen white LEDs and runs off of D or C cells.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old January 9, 2002, 12:02 PM   #6
stringj

PaladinVC,
LED lights are not yet up to tactical light specs. A single LED cannot put out the amount or intensity of light as a single bulb as used in the SureFire line can. To achieve "bright" light from an LED requires utilizing several LEDs in the design. There are some very bright LED based flashlights out there, but I wouldn't consider any of them to be tactical lights due their size. I have a 3D-cell, 10 LED flashlight that is bright, but large. The technology is improving, but still has a way to go before a tactical LED flashlight is feasible.

Jerry

P.S. Check out this forum for most anything to do with flashlights :
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

You will be assimilated!