The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 16, 2001, 10:06 PM   #1
BluesBlade

For those who have used both Wolf Ears and Pro Ears . . .

Currently, I'm using an old pair of Silencio's. Had'em since the late '80's. Microphone, volume control, and 9v battery on each ear. It's time to upgrade.

Seems the most popular electronic ear protectors are the Pro Ears. I just completed LFI-1 and had a chance to play with a pair of Gentex Wolf Ears (wasn't on the range, tho). I really like the Gentex idea of having one switch and one battery.

For those of you who have used both (Gentex Wolf Ears/Pro Ears) I'd like to ask some questions comparing the two:

1 - Is one better than the other for detecting the direction a sound is coming from?

2 - Does one amplify sounds better than the other? The Gentex has three modes: off, regular and amplified (with adjustable gain for each ear). Is the Gentex in amplified mode (with gain at max) as good as the Pro Ears with the volume cranked all the way up?
Old December 20, 2001, 05:40 PM   #2
AKA

Wolf-Pro Ears

The wolf is always going to be better than Pro Ears at locating the source of sound as you adjust the Pro Ears each time you turn them on.

That said, I use the Pro Ears and like them as I can adjust each ear. I should have them by the bed but in truth they are always in my shooting bag.

Comfort will become an issue after all day wear so you really need to try them on prior to buying.

Mine have been money very well spent.
Old December 22, 2001, 05:23 PM   #3
DBR

I have Wolf Ears, Pro Ears and Peltor Tactical 7. Here's my take:

Wolf Ears - for me heavy and uncomfortable and they pick up wind noise

Pro Ears - not too bad, the most compact of the three. Sound direction not a good as Peltor. Comfortable and least interference with a rifle stock.

Peltor Tac 7 - the ones I use most. Excellant directionality. I understand they were originally designed as listening device. I can believe it.

The Wolf and Pro use sound compression which means they don't cut off loud noises they reduce them. The Peltor uses a cut off. The only real differnce is that if you are using the Peltor and there are loud noises in the background conversation or range orders will broken up.
Old December 26, 2001, 02:31 PM   #4
BluesBlade

My Silencio's cut off the sound, too. Sometimes distracting, but not something I can't live with if I have to.

I'd like to try those that have sound suppression, instead. I'll keep my eyes out for someone at the range with'em.

BB
Old December 26, 2001, 04:53 PM   #5
Sierra

I have Gentex Wolf ears which replaced my Pro Ears. Initially I experienced the uncomfortableness of the Wolf ears which is mentioned on another post. I took the Wolf ears to Oregon Aero who builds head sets for airline pilots and the military and they modified the frame. They are still bulky but are comfortable after eight hours continuous wear at the range or in training. Oregon Aero can be reached at www.oregonaero.com or [email protected]