The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old December 13, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1
DocFox

Rich Lucibella: I hold you personally responsible!!!

3 times since the latest issue came out I have TRIED to read it. Thanks to YOU Rich, every time I have tried....... MY WIFE has been reading it. Did you have to make such a good mag that I have to fight with my wife over my magazine?

Doc
DocFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

His and Hers subscriptions?

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2005, 01:09 PM   #3
DocFox

LMAO...what, you think I'm rich?
Old December 13, 2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Lovin' it!
Is she a shooter, Doc?

BTW, in fairness, the improvements to SWAT go this way:
Vision and Belief this Staff could Turn it Around: Rich Lucibella
Direction: Denny Hansen
Editorial: Denny Hansen / Dennis Bateman
Art: Betty Wendt

The rest of the credit goes to the outstanding writing Staff and people you never hear about, like Kathy Allard and Rich Convertito.

In short, yes, I'll take credit for sketching out what our priorities should be. The Staff got the tough job....they had to put the meat on the skeleton.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2005, 02:40 PM   #5
DocFox

My (our) appreciation and congratulations to the entire staff Rich.

Actually, when we met she was an anti-gunner. I explained my guns were part of me and she didn't have to shoot them beyond one time to understand the responsibility, and she needed to learn weapon safety. Now, 8 years later, she owns 3 guns of her own, wants several more ( including a 1911 and an M4) , has had her CCW for 5 years, and can outshoot a majority of the people at local ranges in at least 3 states, especially with a rifle. It is immensely rewarding to see her correct a guy at a gunshow or behind a counter at a gunstore.

Thanks again Rich, apparently both me AND the wife love your Magazine,

Doc
Old December 13, 2005, 05:21 PM   #6
rapier144

Doc

Does she have a sister?
Old December 13, 2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Old December 13, 2005, 10:14 PM   #8
jdm92584

sounds like a heck of a woman there. better hang onto her.
mossberg 695 sluggun in 12ga
remington 760 in 30.06
ted williams edition polychoke 12ga pump from sears
yugo sks
remington model 81 semiauto 35
44bp by traditions
54 bp rifle by traditions
nef .410 i got at 12
22 stevens
marlin model 60 22
35 leveraction marlin 336
jdm92584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2005, 06:50 AM   #9
DocFox

rapier144 ... Nope, no sister. Sorry.

jdm92584 ... Oh I plan on it, she's the greatest woman I've ever met. Of course I'm gonna have to buy her a 1911 of her own so she'll keep her hands off of mine.

Doc
Old December 14, 2005, 01:08 PM   #10
Harley Quinn

I just got my January issue

I have read most of it and have enjoyed it. Quite a bit of information packed into the publication.

Claire Wolfe has an article that is pretty controversial as far as I am concerned. 'I am a citizen so I deserve to own exactly what I want, no one should be able to tell me any different' (parapharsed)...

Same mentality of : 'I own a car and should be able to drive as fast as I want if no one else is on the road' or 'it is 3 am and no one at the stop light I will not stop, because I am a good citizen and can make up my own mind'.

Anyone want to discuss it? I have not stated my position, I am only making a topic for discussion. Got to read the article to join in.

Harley
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2005, 01:35 PM   #11
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Harley-
You're mixing nouns with verbs; property with use; tool with action.

She doesn't claim she should be able to do whatever she likes with a gun; just that she should not be restricted in ownership of small arms.

Why should you be allowed to own a vehicle capable of traveling faster than 75 MPH?

Prohibit the dangerous action, not the property.
Rich
Old December 14, 2005, 01:58 PM   #12
Jeff Randall

I'll discuss it.

I agree that as a law-abiding citizen I should be able to own anything I desire. The only time a crime is committed is when I use it to harm others. I don't believe in victimless crimes. Why should there be speed limits if another motorist, pedestrian, etc. is not on the road? The ONLY time a crime occurs is when there is a victim. I don't believe in the mentality that the state is a victim when I run a stop sign and there is no one around for miles. Where is the victim when I refuse to wear a seat belt or motorocycle helmet?

Most folks will answer that it puts a burden and cost on emergency personnel and the health care system when I'm stupid enough to ride a motorcycle without a helmet and they're forced to take care of me. Bull****. I didn't ask them to come sweep my stupid butt off the road. I've yet to understand where it is anyone's duty and repsonsibility to take care of anyone else.

It all goes back to personal repsonsibility. If you're driving reckless and kill someone else then you should be prosecuted. If you buy a gun, any gun, and shoot someone without good cause, then you should be prosecuted. It makes no difference if it's a full auto M16 or a .22 rifle. If you have a hand grenade and toss it into a crowd then, yes, you should be prosecuted, convicted, tortured, and then put to death.

Laws that restrict ownership DO NOT keep people from committing crimes or obtaining anything they want to commit those crimes. The problem with our society is there's no self-responsibilty left, nor is there true punishment for true criminal behavior. My God, we argued for 20 years on whether to put Tookie to death after the acts he committed. I would have allowed the families the chance to torture this sonofabitch a long time ago if I were in charge. Our politically correct society deems that we have to be reasonable and compassionate to those that are not reasonable. Just look at how we take of illegal aliens when they're ravaging our health care and education system. I'd tell 'em if you don't have insurance or the ability to pay and if you don't speak English then you can die on the street becasue you're not getting services here.

Jeff
Old December 14, 2005, 02:04 PM   #13
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Randall....I just hate when Randall waffles and minces words.

Rich
Old December 14, 2005, 02:35 PM   #14
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Jeff-
Thanks for toning it down for the Internet

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2005, 02:39 PM   #15
Harley Quinn

Jeff did you read the article in S.W.A.T.

Are we going to discuss the article or the way I delivered it?

75 is a reasonable speed, If the Govenment decided to outlaw all cars in excess of that speed, what would happen then.
Probably a real out cry. (The way GM and Ford are cutting back we wont have automakers in this country).

Reminds me of a mandatory smog check.
It is like the frog and hot water, when it is hot it will hop out immediatly if it is cool and brought to hot he will be cooked, so the story goes.

Being in CA we are restricted more than the rest of the country, some of the restictions are based on so called liberal and so called conservative actions.

When George Bush the first, was in. He is the one who stopped the import of Norinco and others to import what was considered bannable guns. Now we have a company making a 50 caliber machine gun for the public.
We are probabley the number one war machine maker in the world yet we don't allow others to import to us? Interesting. Each State is Governed by the Feds and then we have the state and the county and the city laws to deal with.
More laws then any other country in the world and we are making more as we speak. Is it a good idea to stop the law making and send the lawmakers home? No job, no benefits, we would have a big tax cut.
Must be unfair in the minds of the country that is halted. Maybe turn about is fair play don't buy from us make your own. Iran is doing it. They also are allowing us to bid on the project (nuke).

Other countries want to do what we do but we are not allowing them. Should they have the same right as us?

Same topic on a bigger scale. Rambling on.

Harley
Old December 14, 2005, 03:08 PM   #16
Jeff Randall

Harley,

My apologies if I appeared to be jumping on you. I wasn't. Personal responsibility issues just get me wound up. Our whole society now believes it is government's responsibility to take care of, lead, guide, and direct the citizenry, when in fact is is absolutely not their job. Of course, I will agree that there are a lot of folks in society that need to be led, guided and directed. Hell, some of 'em ain't worth the powder and lead it would take to kill 'em, but why does my ability to own a certain firearm / knife / cyclotron / whiskey still / light saber / or nuclear powered jedi space ship have to be dictated by the mere possibility of a criminal element. (at least that's what the politicians will say). What sane reason is there to have a seat belt or helmet law and how does the State (and their employees) figure that such crimes are against them...that they're the victim?

Here's my short story: About 3 years ago I was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt by an Alabama State Trooper. He walked up beside my car, told me he was going to write me a ticket and for me to come back and get in his car. I obeyed. I sat down in his car and he had rap music blasting through the stereo. I reached up and turned his radio off. Well, that went over like a fart in a diver's helmet. He told me "You do not touch my equipment. " I immediately repsonded. "Sir, I am a law abiding Alabama taxpayer. That is not YOUR equipment, it's mine. I paid for it just like every other taxpayer in the state." I then went on to say, "Sir, you have about 3 choices here: 1) you can leave the radio off and you and I can have a pleasant ticket writing experience, 2) I can step out of the car so you can write the ticket and play your rap music, 3) you can arrest me. It's your choice." He chose # 1 and we both went on about our business. I was sort of hoping he would choose # 3 because I felt I could beat him in court, especially the place the court would be held.

I'm not a smartass, normally. But when someone doesn't understand my rights and decides to infringe upon them then I become outspoken.
Old December 14, 2005, 04:39 PM   #17
rapier144

Doc

what's your stance on cloning
Old December 14, 2005, 08:17 PM   #18
sjstill

Harley Quinn wrote;

Now we have a company making a 50 caliber machine gun for the public.

[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]??????

Seems Doc's thread has been hijacked. Does sound like you have a great wife! My wife likes to shoot, but she isn't into the 'culture', as it were. She's coming around, though

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
sjstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2005, 09:01 PM   #19
Jeff Randall

Cloning? I'm all for it especially if I can make another beautiful creature like myself
Old December 14, 2005, 09:25 PM   #20
Harley Quinn

Doc, did not mean to hijack

Wives and Machine guns, you have to love um?

Harley
Old December 15, 2005, 09:26 AM   #21
DocFox

This was a fun post... so hijacking is perfectly fine.

rapier144 ... cloning?.... hmmm... sounds like the makings of a 3sum to me... I'm a greedy bastich!!!

sjstill .. good luck on her integration... luckily my wife is nearly as "touched in the head" as I am. She is the one that picked the house we now live in (we moved to TN from MT, she found the place for us while here for the hiring interview), said one of the reasons she chose this house was because she thought the basement would be a good place for me to build an armory. God I love that woman.

Doc
Old December 15, 2005, 05:57 PM   #22
rapier144

Doc

Out foxed me there