The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 22, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1
weblance

My 10/22 Shoots One Ragged Hole with Factory Barrel

I took my 10/22 to the range today to sight in a scope I just mounted. This is a 2011 vintage Ruger Charger that I assembled into a Carbine. I bought a used barrel from a member at RimfireCentral, and a birch Sporter Deluxe stock off of Ebay. I sent the barrel to Jim Pixley to be threaded, front sight remounted, and muzzle re-crowned. At 25 yards, with just my left forearm rested against the rail at the range, it shoots one ragged hole, with my suppressor attached(SilencerCo SS Sparrow) It does this with all 3 ammo types I took today, Federal bulk, Blazer bulk, and CCI Standard Velocity. I was shocked. The gun is completely stock, with the exception of the barrel re-crown. I didnt shoot the barrel before sending it to the machinist. I dont know how accurate it was in stock form. It is a recent barrel with all the bad lathe rings, and matt finish.

I have had a 10/22 since 1986. I sold that first one and bought a stainless 10/22 when they came out. I still have it. I think that was around 1991. I haven't shot it in years, but don't really remember it being inaccurate. Why do people knock the 10/22 as being inaccurate? The one I shot today sure isn't. Did I just get lucky, or did the re-crown make the difference?

Old June 22, 2013, 01:47 PM   #2
HKGuns

Mine does the same, they knock them because they don't know any better and/or have an axe to grind against Ruger for whatever reason. Or, they think their Marlins are the best because that is what they are familiar with etc......

Edited: Mine does it at 50 not 25 yards, didn't notice the yardage in the original post. But in general agree, you need to be shooting it at 50 yards.

Last edited by HKGuns; June 22, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old June 22, 2013, 03:32 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

A lot of different guns will do this at 25yds. Shoot 50 yds and report back on your results. I've owned a number of Ruger 10/22's and used the basic frame in my team challenge rifles. I've tested every brand of ammo out there out of all my guns. There is a huge difference between 25 yard results and 50 yard results. Even more so when you go to 75 and a 100. I've seen some decent factory barrels shoot good groups and I've seen Ruger factory barrels that wouldn't shoot six inches at 50 yds. I got one once that the bore was drilled off center. It's a crap shoot with Ruger factory barrels.
Old June 22, 2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

I have several 10/22's and a marlin. The marlin is more accurate than my newer SS ruger but equal to my blued ruger( oldy 1991ish). My first 10/22 smooth bored the barrel at around 50,000 rds and still shot 4 inch groups at 100. Now with a tacticool solustions 17" bull and a few other mods shoot 1 to 1.5 moa at 100 yrds. I love my rugers.

Boomer
Old June 24, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
SVTCobra306

I've had three, all have been satisfactorily accurate.. meaning I can whack a squirrel or a rabbit at 50 yards. Anything more than that and I have centerfire rifles for the task anyway.
Old June 25, 2013, 12:00 AM   #6
SteelChickenShooter

Not so impressed with a ragged hole at 25 yards. I've had and seen plenty that can do that out of the box with no mods at all. See how yours does at 40 meters, then 60, then 77, and lastly 100 and report back. As an example, I once had a simple bolt action Marlin that made a single hole using CCI Standard Velocity. Superb for chickens and pigs, but was not competitive for turkeys and rams.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:18 PM   #7
alex0535

Making a ragged hole at 25 yards is ok, but lets increase that distance to 50-100 yards and let us know what the group looks like.

Put them inside of an inch at 100 yards or a half inch at 50 yards and you are shooting 1 MOA, which I would consider acceptable for a 10/22.

Your just up a little bit too close to really get a good gauge of accuracy.

To me a very accurate 10/22 would be making similar sized groups at 75 yards that you are getting at 25.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Doyle

There was a show on TV (and there is a partial copy of it on Youtube) where they visitied a gunsmith that specializes in accurizing 10/22s. Their take is that there are two things that REALLY make a difference with a 10/22. One is the crown, the other is the amount of jump. When accurizing a 10/22, they re-do the crown and set the barrel back to minimize the jump for the particular ammo the user intends to use.

I'm betting your gun already has the right amount of jump for the ammo you are using.