The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 02:10 AM   #1
bamaranger

Glock trigger failure to reset?

I bought a G34-gen4 in an attempt to stay ahead of bamaboy in this IDPA thing we do together now! Darn kid learns to quick!.

Anyhow, I've got about 50 rounds through the pistol. Done a bunch of dry firing too. After a field strip and back strap change, while dry firing, the trigger began to stay rearward and would not reset till the slide cycled twice. I noted that the firing pin stayed proturded from the breech face as as well.

I field stripped, and brushed some more, removed the backstrap pin and and pulled the trigger group partially out and brushed it down too, then re-installed the group and pin. Seems to work fine now, though I've not shot it.

The pistol was clean to begin with. What's going on?
Old February 5, 2013, 06:55 PM   #2
bamaranger

still doing it

Its still doing it. Note that in firing it seems to run fine, but when cycled by hand, it will often not reset.

C,mon Glock guys, what's going on.?
Old February 5, 2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

I got you brother, I'm not a Glock guy..But I was.

Quick question right back at you. Did you give the gun a trigger job? Any time recently? Or in the past?

Mine would do the exact same thing. But more on that later.
Old February 6, 2013, 03:58 AM   #4
bamaranger

trigger group

I had the trigger group out, but did not dork with it further other than to brush it off and a bit of lube. I was not pleased with the tirgger and thought it a bit "gritty" and so a new gun cleaning seemed in order.

I am beginning to suspect that I did not re-install same correctly. Seemed pretty straight forward, but now.....
Old February 6, 2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

That little pin that's in the grip. In the far back. That's in where its supposed to be right? Have to ask.

And do you mean you lightened the trigger pull and reset a bit? If so, what's it at now?

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Walt Sherrill

I reassembled a Glock 23 incorrectly -- it was my first try at installing a new Ghost trigger bar kit -- and didn't hold my mouth right. I went to the Glock Talk site (in their Gunsmithing area) and got a lot of quick, to the point, advice from folks who know those guns inside out. They diagnosed my problem and had the gun right quickly.

Little things like reinstalling the pins in the wrong order will cause all sorts of functional issues.

Try them -- http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Old February 6, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7
g.willikers

Probably a long shot, but
Check to see if the striker safety plunger is still in the slide.
If it, and its spring, has fallen out, there will be a hole in the slide that might catch the trigger bar.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Mrgunsngear

If you didn't put the trigger spring back in the trigger will not reset if released too early in the firing process.

i.e. If you have good follow through and hold the trigger to the rear until the slide is back in battery you don't even need a trigger spring for the gun to function. If you slap at the trigger without the spring in it won't reset.

Something to check out. I'm not saying that's what's going on but it's a possiblitiy that it's not installed correctly.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:50 PM   #9
bamaranger

fixed....I hope

I got on line and looked at a number of videos. Then I dissassembled the trigger group again and re-installed. Promptly got the slide stuck on the frame. More videos. Third time apart. Success I hope.

It seems to be working fine now.

I have no idea what I did....or didn't do.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

I had that "slide stuck on the frame" experience -- primarily because I didn't real the Ghost Trigger Bar instructions as closely as I should have... Felt dumb, after doing it the hard way (removing the pins...)

It's a simple design, but things work differently than you'd expect. Glad to hear you got it worked out. (That little "half" cover in red that comes with the Ghost kit lets you release the striker, which must be done before the slide will come off the frame...)

Memo to me: READ the instructions. Then read them again....