The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 21, 2008, 09:03 AM   #76
sqShane

I'm surprised to see the diversity of opinions on this question, and I wonder if it's because some people are implicitly assuming something like the following:
(1) the BG has taken a hostage and presumably wants you to either surrender your weapon or to leave the premises with the hostage; and (2) no one has called law enforcement so there is no calvary coming to help.
So, I'm curious, with those assumptions, would many of you either surrender your weapon and/or let the BG leave the premises with the hostage instead of taking the shot?

Last edited by sqShane; May 21, 2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old May 21, 2008, 09:13 AM   #77
Double Naught Spy

If you surrender your weapon, the bad guy now has two hostages, and a choice of which to keep, if he so desires.

As for the calvary, even if 911 is called, you are still looking at something like 4-15 minutes average response time for most major municipalities. For example, Dallas was proud that they had dropped below 9 minutes from double digits for top priority calls, even though they are still above 10 for some areas. http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spe/...as/crime2.html
Old May 21, 2008, 09:24 PM   #78
Scattergun Bob

sqShane

The thing I don't like about addons to threads is that it changes the complexion of the problem. In a way it emulates real life events, nothing ever stays vanilla for long.

There is one Shotgun Sure thing here, NEVER EVER surrender your weapon. NO, you don't understand [B]NEVER EVER[B] surrender your weapon, it will cost you your life! Now do you understand.

Do I let the BG move the hostage to a secondary location? If I am the hostage the answer is hell no. If I am the shooter, I guess I'll cop out and say give me more details.
Old June 11, 2008, 10:30 PM   #79
Coop de Ville

I was in a similar situation. We did not take the shot...

Everything turned out fine.

I could have taken the shot... and everything would have turned out fine.

Did I F#$k up because I let the situation dictate?... Even though everything turned out ok?

Which would be harder to live with?

Not taking the shot and the hostage is killed or taking the shot and the hostage is killed?

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old June 12, 2008, 11:37 AM   #80
Ridge_Runner_5

I say shoot the arm holding the weapon...sever the muscles and they wont be able to pull the trigger. Aim for the muscles on the inside of the elbow...
Old June 12, 2008, 12:04 PM   #81
Boris Bush

Ridge_Runner_5

Are you serious? Doing that with a handgun is going to be a lucky thing. Even practice on a static range doing that is going to be tough.

I have only used a rifle in real life shootings and a COM hit is hard enough to do when your target is moving from cover to cover, hidden, and most importantly shooting at you aswell...

Get some training and go buy some self defense shooting tutorial books. Keyboard comandory thoughts like that will get you killed if you try that stuff...........
Old June 26, 2008, 07:21 PM   #82
Bob Lee Swagger

Sharpshooter Basics is good. CQB Mastery helps, as does the Counter-Terrorist class (reduces cover granted by human shields)