The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 27, 2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Mackeral

I'm thinking of selling? Exchanging

I have a Beretta PX4 9mm Full Size with 4 17rd clips. I also added trijicon night sights and a Steve Bedair Stainless steel checkered guide rod. I was wondering what the general consensus on selling and going to a smaller more concealable pistol. This was my first handgun I have purchased and put 150 documented rounds through it. I really do like it but I also would like something much smaller and was considering a J-frame. What would be a fair asking price and also what does everyone use for a smaller concealable perhaps pocket semi or revolver.

Thanks for the help!
Old August 27, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
power5

Have you fired anything else? How do you know you would like a J Frame?

Px4 is a great gun, I would extensively rent and test other guns before selling the px4 for a loss. Concealable guns are not as fun to shoot. Instead of taking a couple hundred dollar loss on the px4, why not pick up a used compact for a hundred more than your px4 loss? $300 will buy a lot of used police revolvers or semi autos.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3
CWKahrFan

Quote:
This was my first handgun I have purchased...
The majority of regular contributors on gun forums "love" guns and have at least a few (if not A LOT!) of various guns for various purposes.

Just the thought of selling a well-liked range gun IN ORDER to buy a light carry gun gives me the willies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just don't think like that.

I say; Treat yourself to a few nice guns over time. Deep down, you know that's what you really want..... Isn't it?....

(BTW... I usually carry either a Ruger LCP or a Kahr CW9 or occasionally a Charter Bulldog .44 Special.)

Last edited by CWKahrFan; August 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Dashunde

I dont have a whole bunch of them, but each one has a purpose.
LPC - hot weather carry and when I want small and light.
PM9 - medium cooler weather with jeans. It gets shot a lot.
G27 - my all-purpose 100% reliable go-to pistol - ccw'd in the heart of North St Louis during work - is also my truck gun.
G21 - nightstand gun, range toy.
Buckmark Hunter, 7.25" w/ Burris FastFire - 22lr range plinker. Silly accurate. Would be the first pistol I'd toss in the go-bag.

I cycled in and out several to land on those, so far, I dont see any of them being replaced. I'm pretty well set and slowly turning to pure toys like a DW Valor, a Bersa 22 or...?

A little LCP or CM9 (both excellent ccw's) are not particularly expensive.
I'd just save up a few bucks and buy a ccw, and consider that PX4 a nightstand pistol and range toy if you like shooting it, then replace it later on with whatever you like.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:33 AM   #5
TailGator

My daughter has a compact PX4, and while it is a very impressive little pistol, I can understand you thinking that you need something smaller (especially thinner) for concealment. It may be wiser for you to keep the PX4 for home and range use if you can afford it, though, because you are probably going to take a bath in selling it at this point.

Regardless of your decision regarding your PX4, if you have not fired a J frame, you definitely should do so before buying one. They are not an easy handgun to shoot well, and the Airweight versions can be downright uncomfortable for some people. My wife and daughters really hated mine, and I have to admit that I didn't practice with it as much as I should have, either.

There are a wealth of other 9 mm pistols available that you may find more suitable than either a full-sized PX4 or a J-frame, and if you wind up keeping the PX4, you might be glad to have to stock only one caliber of ammo. You are kind of swinging from one extreme to the other, and you might be happier letting the pendulum settle somewhere in the middle.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
loose_holster_dan

if you are anything like me, you will HATE shooting a j-frame.

just get a smaller semi. pocket guns suck. get a walther pps or an sa xds (depending on what caliber you want) and carry it iwb. you won't even know it's there.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 28, 2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
if you are anything like me, you will HATE shooting a j-frame.

just get a smaller semi. pocket guns suck. get a walther pps or an sa xds (depending on what caliber you want) and carry it iwb. you won't even know it's there.

agree 100%
Old August 28, 2012, 11:01 AM   #8
comn-cents

I've owned 5 j frames, important word here is owned!
They always sound like a good idea.

Last edited by comn-cents; August 29, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:24 AM   #9
dab102999

I am with everyone else here. Bought an LCP for the wife..she didn't like it that much so I picked up a J frame for a good deal also...knowing deep down she wouldn't like it...she doesn't. She don't like the snap. She has an XD that she will use for a primary gun but wants a small one also for when she wears a dress. I let her know that no matter what I buy in a small frame it is just gunna be damn snappy to shoot. She don't have to shoot it all the time. Just once in a while to remain effective with it. And I will continue to buy guns for her but they all will probably end up the general same to shoot. So she said that she would rather carry the J frame then the LCP....and that really sucks cus I like that dang J frame so now I gotta buy my own...but every gun has a purpose and a place. And if finacially feasable more then one gun will cover different carry situations.
Old August 28, 2012, 12:35 PM   #10
xLPlushy

My advice is to keep the PX4 and add a small 9mm semi to the collection. A few to look at are the Ruger LC9(and it's .380 baby bro the LCP), Walther PPS, S&W Shield, And any of the Kahr's. If you're into a j-frame I'd go with a S&W model 36 (that's what my 75 year old grandma carries).

I have an LCP and Shield. Most people say the LCP is unpleasant to shoot, but I find it very fun. It is snappy because of its size, but thats ok by me. The shield is very soft shooting and has been 100% reliable with 550 rounds thru mine so far. The PPS is almost identical to the Shield. The LC9 bites more than the PPS or Shield, but is manageable. I have no experience with Kahr Arms.

I myself know how great a gun the PX4 is, have one in .45 and love it. I'd say budget a bit of cash $300-400 and buy yourself a CC gun and make that PX4 a nightstand or range gun.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone
Old August 28, 2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Fishbed77

Keep your PX4 and and buy a compact single-stack 9mm.

I recommend a Kahr CM9. I only paid $327 for mine new, and it's a fantastic little pistol. Another great option is a Walther PPS.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Mackeral

Thank you!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really do like my PX4 and will definately keep it as my nightstand and range gun. I will try out the other options you pointed out.

Thanks again!

Tags
beretta px4 , ccw , pocket pistol