The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 2, 2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Blue

Walther Model 9

My Mom carried a Walther Model 9 in her pocket during WWII (3 Years) while she was in North Africa and Italy after Anzio.

General George Patton Requires all his Army Nurse Lts to be armed at all times. It was his SOP to arm them with Walther pistols from Captured German Officers. She got this great little Model 9. I used to play with it when I was little. Now she is in assisted living and she gave it to me for safe keeping. Interesting fact on this one is -- she carried it during her whole life in her purse - well before CC was becoming a fad. Never took a step outside without is - just in case GP might show up for an inspection.

Does this qualify for a C&R weapon?

It is 100% original and still functions and shoots great.

Just thought someone might find this interesting. I have my Dad's original issue 1911, as well.
Old October 3, 2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Drachenstein

They both do.
Old October 3, 2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Chipperman

That's a great story! Post a pic of them together.
Old October 3, 2009, 07:39 PM   #4
j-framer

Blue,

You are fortunate to have a Model 9 with such a great story behind it.

The Walther Model 9 is a splendidly machined and finished little gun. I have one that is well worn (it must have been carried for many years, as nearly all the original finish is gone), but it is mechanically perfect and has never malfunctioned in any way. It feeds .25 FMJ with monotonous reliability.

That a gun so small can work so well is amazing. Nothing not to love about pre-war Walther craftsmanship.
Old October 3, 2009, 10:22 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
Does this qualify for a C&R weapon?
Yes, it is most definitely a C&R. Any gun that was made 50 years prior to whatever the current date is will be considered a C&R.

ALL guns over 50 years old need not be specifically listed on the ATF Curio & Relics list; They are still C&R's. This is something many FFL dealers do not understand.

Also, there are some guns that are specifically listed on ATF's C&R list that are less than 50 years old. A good example would be the Interarms "Parabellum" (Luger) pistols that were imported in the 1970's.
Old October 4, 2009, 09:15 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

I recently bought a model 9 with a very similar story from my elderly neighbor lady. She had owned it since the mid forties.