The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 15, 2005, 03:22 PM   #1
westernamerican

GLOCK Gun Barrel Polishing

I recently saw a GLOCK Gun Barrel that had been polished to perfection....it was not refinished, just polished with a Dremel Tool..........I am wondering if it will retain the nice shiney look or will it have to be continuously polished to keep it from tarnishing?
Old July 15, 2005, 05:09 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

needs something like Diamond clear

Most anything I have ever polished has and tarnished if it is used or handled. I use Daimond clear on anything I want to make sure the luster lasts for any time.
Old July 16, 2005, 01:41 AM   #3
Shorts

If the barrel is under contact and friction, the shine will go away.
Old July 16, 2005, 12:03 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

Maybe

Most of the time the barrel will have wear marks left on it by the bushing, but the barrel will have less friction on it due to the high polish. I wouldn't polish the barrel all the time myself, since eventaully you will wear it down too much for that ultimate fit of it and the bushing.
Old July 16, 2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Shorts

When the original post said polished barrel, I immediately thought about the barrel hood. I polished it on the GI, but it's back to dull again. The same with my barrel on my project. I guess it depends too how polished to how quickly it gets dull. True, polished makes for less friction between sliding parts.
Old July 16, 2005, 05:57 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

little help for you

Shorts, if you want the polish to stay, apply a coat of Diamond clear to it. Alot of times you get a piece of steel that will tarnish as soon as your fingers touch it after polishing. I have had this problem several times before. Right after polishing the part, I wipe it clean with lacquer thinner and then dry it. I apply a couple of coats of Diamond Clear to it and allow it to dry before handling the part. It leaves a very good finish and it will stay for a very long time before you need to redo the job. I buy my Diamond Clear from KBC tools. I also like to jewel the part if possible since this will keep it from tarnishing and looking bad. Here's a link for it. It goes by the name Kleer Kote from them.

http://kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm
Old July 17, 2005, 11:46 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't bother polishing anything. Wear will do it for you soon enough.