The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 30, 2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Taurus/S&W Revolver Match-up?

Awhile back I picked up a Taurus Model 327 snub-nose revolver when one of the clearance places (probably CDNN but I don't recall) was selling them off. I don't expect to carry it -- I bought it mostly as a novelty, and also with the notion that it might be good for new shooters if loaded with light .32 S&W loads rather than full-house .327 magnum. Nonetheless, even though I don't plan to carry it, I would like to find a not-too-expensive leather OWB holster for it. I haven't found anything, anywhere, and I've also tried searching for the Taurus Model 94, which is built on the same small frame.

Does anyone know what Smith & Wesson revolvers would be close enough in size and shape to use as search criteria for a holster?
Old March 31, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
treg

Holsters designed for the Taurus M85 will work, as will those for a "J" frame S&W.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:17 AM   #3
shouldazagged

What are your shooting impressions of the gun, especially with the .327 rounds?

Just curious.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I haven't shot it yet. In fact, it may go back to Taurus before I fire a shot. In single action, the trigger is (to be charitable) horrible. In double action, two dry fires out of three something hangs up inside and the hammer won't drop at all. Seems to just stop when the hammer is about 2/3 cocked and the cylinder hasn't finished rotating into the next position.

About what I expected from a Taurus, but disappointing nonetheless.
Old April 12, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The holster problem has been solved. I just LOVE the surplus holster bins at my range's shop. Much of the stuff in them is old police duty gear that's so old the leather is dried and cracking, and the black surface (patent leather?) is flaking off. But every once in awhile there's a gem, and I just found one. It's a brown OWB holster for what appears to be a small-frame S&W revolver with a 3" barrel. Has a thumb strap. It was a bit scuffed, but after cleaning it up with saddle soap and buffing it with brown shoe polish, it looks VERY nice. I could probably trim it at the muzzle end for my snub-nose barrel, but the extra length isn't hurting anything.

It cost me all of $10.

And I also think I solved the reluctance to function. It took MANY repetitions of disassembly, mucking about, and reassembly, but I believe I finally have it. The frame slot for the bolt was cut VERY rough, with sharp edges on the underside. And the bolt itself looked like it was chewed out of a chunk of metal by a rat with steel teeth. Once I finally figured out where the hangup was, it took three tries at fluffing and buffing to get to where it now dry fires reliably in both DA and SA mode. Next will be to try it with live fire -- IF I can find anything to shoot through it.

But ... I really don't care for the rubber, round-butt grips. Does anyone know of a source for some modestly-priced, wood, square-butt conversion grips that will fit Taurus small-frame revolvers? Does anyone know if grips for a S&W J-frame fit the Tauri?