The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2009, 09:38 AM   #1
borninfire

Best value 1911?

Gentlemen,

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 1911. Obviously the prices vary significantly between lets say, S&W v. Taurus. I've been extremely pleased with my Taurus PT92, and at half the price of a S&W, do any of you recommend against the PT1911?

I'm considering this one.

Any other suggestions would be awesome. This will be my first 1911, and i'm terribly excited.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2
gwnorth

I have been very happy with my stainless PT1911 - 3500 rounds with out a single issue or problem of any kind.

check out the taurus (and other) forums at http://forum.m1911.org/ too.

One thing I have heard and seen myself is that the blued finish Taurus uses seems to scratch easily and rub off if carried (holster wear). You might want to look into getting a stainless one. In fact, even if not a Taurus, I would still suggest stainless steel - it's so much simpler to keep looking good.

You might also want to look at Springfield's (GI and Mil-Spec models) - some folks will undoubtedly claim them inherently superior to the Taurus, but that has not been my personal experience. Either can be a good choice for the money, but either can also turn out a lemon every now and then.

Personally, depending on your budget, I would look at CZ too. I think for the money (closer to $1000 typically here in central VA) the Dan Wesson Pointman 7 may be one of the best non-custom-built 1911s available.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:14 AM   #3
test drive

dont forget Rock Island Armory.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
ZeSpectre

I've found Rock Island Armory and Charles Daly to be the best "bang for the buck". You certainly aren't going to be getting an Ed Brown, but the quality seems good.

Rock Island review thread
http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=403033

Charles Daly review thread
http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=393517

Last edited by ZeSpectre; February 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5
luvsasmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre
I've found Rock Island Armory and Charles Daly to be the best "bang for the buck". You certainly aren't going to be getting an Ed Brown, but the quality seems good.
+1
Old February 10, 2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Te Anau

Well, for the best bang for the buck in a quality built gun I went with Shooters Arms Manufacturing.I did not want a cast slide and S.A.M. delivered!

http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/
Old February 10, 2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Delaware_Dan

+1 for Rock Island Armory, I just bought a RIA Tactical, in Satin Nickel for $499. My local shop wanted $629 for a BLUED Taurus 1911. I bought the Rock. Great trigger, great finish, the only gripe I have is the grips are really crappy. I feel like they skimped on this because most 1911 owners change the grips.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:33 PM   #8
chaim

I am a big Taurus fan (though I don't own one of their 1911s), I own a Charles Daly (mentioned in this thread) and I own a S&W 1911SC.

Taurus makes a very nice gun. Mine have all been reliable and enjoyable guns.

Charles Daly is a good budget 1911 as someone mentioned. Mine has well over 10K rounds. It is reasonably reliable (but far from 100%) and it is quite accurate.

Still, if your budget allows I would go with the S&W. There is something to the feel of my S&W or my best friend's Kimber that is missing from my Daly. I'd also take a close look at the Kimbers and Springfield Armory. While accuracy or reliability may be only slightly better (if any), there is a HUGE difference in the feel of the gun.

If those are outside your price range, I'd probably go with a Taurus or Springfield Armory Mil-Spec if I was currently in the market for a budget 1911.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:36 PM   #9
David the Gnome

Rock Island Armory by far.
Old March 12, 2009, 05:09 AM   #10
Rinspeed

STI Spartan.
Old March 12, 2009, 05:22 AM   #11
feudalson

taurus pt1911
"It is destiny"--phrase of the weak human heart; dark apology for every error. The strong and the virtuous admit no destiny. On earth, guides conscience; in heaven, watches God. And destiny is but the phantom we invoke to silence the one, to dethrone the other.
Old March 12, 2009, 05:56 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

cheap vs reasonable

For a low-priced 1911 I recommend either Springfield Armory or (modern) AutoOrdnance only (because these two offer high-quality metallurgy, and are acceptable base guns for enhancement).
Old March 12, 2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

In my opinion, the best low priced 1911 is a Springfield Armory GI. It doesn't have bells and whistles that the Taurus 1911 has, but its made by a company that actually backs their products if you have an issue with it.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:10 AM   #14
bigghoss

personally I think it's the rock island armory if you want one that's more than just a bone-stock GI style.

if you don't mind the spur hammer than a Springfield Armory MIL-SPEC with it's more prominent 3 dot sights is a good choice.

I'm also interested in the new Para GI

I'm also partial to the early Colt 1991a1's they can be had in good shape for $500-600
Old March 12, 2009, 09:16 AM   #15
Colt1911forever

Colt 1911 80 or 70 Series.... To me value is not just out the door price but its long term worth, resale value and quality of construction.....

You can but a Colt for $700 shoot it and sell it for $650 if you did not bugger it. That cannot be said about most other brands.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:16 AM   #16
Creature

RIA....if you don't mind more than a few tool marks and a gun that is made in the Philippines.

Me?...I would buy a Colt.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:50 AM   #17
mnw42

Colt or CZ
Old March 12, 2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Ssgt Savage

PT1911

Even after going through two Judges inside of two weeks (cylinder stop breaks on both the new 4510MAG and the older 4410) I still suggest a Taurus PT1911. They are very well crafted and have everything that (for example) a Kimber has to offer.

You can grab one on gunbroker for around $500 NIB
Old March 12, 2009, 10:27 AM   #19
freakintoguns

IMHO the best value 1911 is the one that turns you on when you grip it.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:35 AM   #20
azredhawk44

If you can afford it in the long run and you're a gun-cycler that trades or sells his collection to make room for new pistols, then the Colt is the best value. You'll get 90% or so of its value back if you use it as a shooter but keep it clean and scratch-free.

A Taurus? I'd immediately suspect "lemon purchase" for anyone who is selling a Taurus. A $600 PT1911 when sold used isn't going to be attractive to me, and I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $350 for it.

I used to own a Charles Daly 1911 and I can recommend them. I wish I didn't sell it.

If your $$$ ceiling is around $600, then I agree with many others that you are better served with a Springer GI or Mil-Spec. I think the Mil-Spec is a great looking gun, especially parkerized. The lower end Springers hold their value pretty well, too.

I don't think I've even seen a Springfield malfunction issue reported on this forum. Add to that the great customer service they offer and you've got a recipe for a very enjoyable pistol owning experience.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:40 AM   #21
passintime

I agree with what some others have said about "value". It is more than a dollar figure. I just recently bought a 1911 and went through a struggle of what to buy. I handled stuff, read up on it, and in the end narrowed it down to american manufacturer's only (part of my economic stimulus plan).

I found that I could spend 450-500 on an RIA or Springfield Mil-spec and get a good entry-level gun, only to become dissatisfied later drooling over the gun I really wanted. I saved up to $1100 as a budget, being disciplined and sacrificing other areas of my gun lusts. I went shopping and found my stainless S&W for $750, spent the rest on ammo and spare mags. Best gun purchase I ever made. Most money I ever dropped on a handgun. But I do know I now have THE gun I want my kids and grandkids (well off into the future for the grandkids, my boys are only 2 ) to say "That was daddy's/grandaddy's pistol". I know it will last, I know it will hold value, and I know that I love it.

It is not the best monetary "deal" I've gotten, but it is the best "value" of a gun I have, because I got EXACTLY what I wanted for a great price and have no regrets. Other purchases I kind of have been known to "jump the gun" on, and have had certain regrets about after the fact. I recommend being patient, not buying a gun based on your budget, but adjusting your budget based on the gun you want, even if it means saving a bit longer.

********This post is in no way telling you to buy the Smith & Wesson, although to me it is a FINE firearm, that was just the conclusion I came to in my search.
"You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations — these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." ~~~CS Lewis
Old March 12, 2009, 10:59 AM   #22
hdawson228

Springfield MilSpec, stainless, .45. Not only for the obvious quality (material and fit/finish) but for the exceptional customer service/warranty. Great custom shop too.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:06 AM   #23
joh56usa

Taurus 1911 Stainless - best kick for the price.

Join now!
http://gunowners.org/
Old March 12, 2009, 11:34 AM   #24
bald1

Charles Daly Field EMS

Many mentioned here qualify in response to the OP's query. The inexpensive 1911s from the Philippines and Brazil in particular. Obviously they also possess a variety of trade offs, but all still can be reliable shooters.

I picked up a Charles Daly Field EMS in '06 on a whim. After a thorough disassembly, inspection, deburring and polishing, the replacement of a few parts with Fusion ones, I added a Greider Videcki style short trigger as well as fitting a Storm Lake .400 Cor-Bon barrel. A set of Nick Ozanich super curly makore grips finished off the tweaks.

The moral of this tale is that these inexpensive pieces certainly can provide the basis for a great gun with some judicious tweaking. My gun has been utterly reliable and given the total cost for a dual caliber set up, quite a bargain. It's the piece shown center left below the Colt in this photo

--Bob

Last edited by bald1; March 12, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:48 PM   #25
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Even after going through two Judges inside of two weeks (cylinder stop breaks on both the new 4510MAG and the older 4410) I still suggest a Taurus PT1911. They are very well crafted and have everything that (for example) a Kimber has to offer.
You do realize it's the same incompetent monkeys slapping guns together down there that couldn't get your two Judges right that are making the PT1911, right?

I would think you would find some other source for a budget 1911 given there's no shortage of them vs. giving those clowns any more of your hard earned money.

That's just me though.

Tags
1911 , taurus