The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 20, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1
Chadley34

LC SMITH 10 gauge HELP!!> NEED INFO PLZ

I have a 10 gauge, smooth metal with almost no identifying marks. Under the forearm is stamped a serial number 28600 and on the plate near the trigger is a code 800 or 008. It is a 30" barrel, and from what I read appears to be a lc smith model from either 1895 or 1920. Appears to be a dark steel metal, with a hammer. Is there a foolproof way I can determine its origin? i need to sell this due to financial duress/surgeries and have owned the bun since birth. My grandfather bought the gun in 1947 for $15. I have seen similar guns for sale from 1200 to 7500........im lost. There is no embossing, nothing on the gun at all other than the two numbers I stated and the serial number is embedded in the curve of the wood itself and not the gun. is that unusual?
Old July 20, 2005, 03:04 PM   #2
Clemson

Is this a single barrel, single shot gun? Is "L. C. Smith" engraved on the gun anywhere?

Need a little more info to help you.........

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old July 20, 2005, 04:05 PM   #3
Chadley34

Lc Smith Response

No words/markings at all. Sorry, it is a single shot. No engravings at all other than the code 800 or 008 near the trigger on a metal plate. With the serial number being endraved on the wood I really dont know where to look.
Old July 20, 2005, 04:15 PM   #4
Clemson

Chadley, I may be totally off base here, but I can't see a 10 gauge single-shot of unknown manufacture being worth any more than $150, and it would have to be in wonderful condition to interest me at that figure.

Sorry for your personal situation. I hope you get on your feet quickly.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old July 20, 2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Jart

The 1895 or 1920 date is what one would get from the L. C. Smith Collector's site here.

Regrettably, so far as I know, that search is only valid for SxS doubles.

Have you tried the Harley Nolden forums? I haven't a clue how to ID a single barrel based on your description.

How did you learn it's an L. C. Smith if the mfgr name isn't stamped somewhere on it? Can you post a pic?
Old July 21, 2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Chadley34

Lc Smith Response

It is an assumption it is this maker because the serial number matched up with their website of numbers. Lord knows everyone appears to stamp their guns but initially a co worker felt it was either an LC SMITH OR possibly Parker. My first search for LC smith led me to a website with serial numbers.....I have never searched for a gun nor info about it in my life. I took the butt end off the barrell but there is still no info there either. Its just shocking this gun has absolutely nothing to identify to go with these blasted numbers on the gun. tonight I will take the thing apart and take some pictures as well. i appreciate both of your responses. I hope to have more info in 24 hours.
Old July 22, 2005, 07:42 AM   #7
Chadley34

LC SMITH 10 gauge

I finally found a name on this thing - the name RIVAL at the base and top of the barrell. Would that make it a Winchester? and the serial number is 23,600 and not 28,600. Got out my flashlight last night and went over every square inch of this thing. Thanks!
Old July 22, 2005, 08:31 AM   #8
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Have you taken off the forearm? There most likely will be more markings under there, on the watertable (the flat area the barrels lock into the receiver).
Old July 22, 2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Chadley34

Lc Smith Forearm Response

I started to last night, but got too late. Also a little paranoid about tearing her apart, but I guess I will do that tonight. I had a feeling there was something under there, but im suprised they would go to that much trouble to hide info under there. Thanks!
Old July 22, 2005, 10:32 AM   #10
johnbt

RIVAL - "Trade name used by the H&D Folsom Arms Company on firearms made for the Van Camp Hardware and Iron Company of Indianapolis, Indiana."

- from the Trade Names list in the back of the '99 Standard Catalog of Firearms.

It's a 'hardware gun'. It's also listed in the book under Crescent Arms as RIVAL (some models) made for Van Camp...etc.

John
Old July 22, 2005, 10:40 AM   #11
Chadley34

John,
thanks a million. All of you have been great! I guess that makes it a pretty worthless gun in the end! I would have probably never figured this out on my own. What a great site this is. I appreciate your help!