The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Lilswede1

.223 case trimming tolerances

Bought 1000 rds of once-fired .223 brass a while back and am just getting to sorting and measuring it.
Brass had been deprimed, the crimp (if any) removed, cleaned and sized.
Length of cases vary between 1.752" - 1.756" on the first 100 I checked.
Wondering if I should trim then down to 1.750"?
Old January 22, 2012, 07:45 PM   #2
243winxb

Mixed headstamp may grow at different rates. You might get 2 firings before they start to reach the maximum of 1.760" I would load & shoot till too long. Only trim now if your going to crimp using standard dies. No crimp needed IMO. Are you sure the brass will chamber in your firearm?
Old January 22, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Edward429451

IMO, until the brass is too long and must be trimmed, it's only cosmetic until then. If you're loading a big batch I would trim them all for good uniform look. If you don't trim them to uniformity then bullets with cannelures will be all over the place and look like some ammo somebody made in their basement.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Lilswede1

Consistency = accuracy

Think I read that somewhere in here.
I will trim them and then they will all be the same +/- .001"
If nothing else, will have the peace of mind that all rounds are the same.
Just purchased the WFT (World's Finest Trimmer) and that will speed things up a bit.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:55 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

Quote:
Consistency = accuracy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think I read that somewhere in here.
I will trim them and then they will all be the same +/- .001"
If nothing else, will have the peace of mind that all rounds are the same.
Just purchased the WFT (World's Finest Trimmer) and that will speed things up a bit.
Now then, I would not want to attempt to load these brass or any brass cases and expect any type of accuracy it would not happen not to mention they must be full length sized if using in a semi-auto and to even think of putting one of those round in a bolt would be unthough of in my reloading.

As I reload I Full length size then trim, and why is I run a FCD (factory crimp die) on my reloads for a more consistent FSP but if you are just wanting a round to go bang and then scratch your head wondering why you can not get MOA or if you only want to hit the target 12'' and that good enough then don't trim I am not jumping in your stuff but to be in the hobby of reloading and just wanting to get by sooner or later will get you in trouble sooner or later.