The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2002, 07:03 AM   #1
zanthope

Reloading for a Garand

I've just picked up a 1944 Springfield Garand with a H&R 1952 barrel. I've got some 110 grain Lake City M-1 Carbine bullets that I'm thinking of loading up in 30-06 with about 52 grains of H335.

Think that will cycle the action OK?

The Speer guide lists 54 grains as max.....I want to start out a little lower.
Old September 11, 2002, 07:26 AM   #2
sleeping dog

M1 varmint round?

It should be a safe enough load. Let us know if the action cycles ok. That round shouldn't hurt the gun, but it may not have enough oomph to completely cycle eject, and chamber the next round. That bullet is much lighter than the usual M1 fodder which is closer to 150 grains.

If it doesn't cycle, I wouldn't increase the powder, just move to a heavier bullet, like 147 grains and drop the powder down to around 48 grains to start. That will be closer to "normal".

Regards.
Old September 11, 2002, 09:05 AM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

It should be OK I think that H336 is a fairly fast powder. The NRA recommends nothing faster than IMR-4320. Personally I use what was designed for the Garand IMR-4895 and a bullet in the range from 147 grains to 173 grains.
Old September 11, 2002, 10:30 AM   #4
sleeping dog

The H335 is fine. I've used it in my Garand and it shoots good, easy to measure also.

I was just thinking that that little 110 grain bullet might leave the barrel before the gas pressure has time to push the op-rod, so the thing would fail to cycle. It shouldn't cause damage, however.

Regards.
Old September 11, 2002, 10:32 AM   #5
Poodleshooter

Should be fine. Fast powders are ok within normal 30/06 pressures, but big doses of slow powders are bad. I think that should read nothing slower than 4320 in a Garand....
Old September 11, 2002, 10:39 AM   #6
braindead0

Used to shoot a similar load fairly often in an '03-A3, seemed to have plenty of ooomph in that.. I'd think it would cycle..
Old September 11, 2002, 12:25 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

"I think that should read nothing slower than 4320"

I should have...............thanks for catching it Poodle............another case of the fingers working a lot faster than the mind!
Old September 11, 2002, 10:03 PM   #8
zanthope

Thanks for the replies, all.

Thing is, see, after blowing my bank account to hay buying that rifle, I've got more bullets in stock than dollars....so the carbine bullets go first.

If I can figure out how to cram some .38 Spec lead wadcutters into that big case, they'll go next...I've got a LOT of them!
Old September 13, 2002, 08:16 AM   #9
zanthope

I loaded a few Thursday A.M. and shot them in the afternoon. Accurate, FAST!! maybe 3000 fps, cycled action OK..or at least, locked the action back each time. Also, a LOT of muzzle flash with 51 grains of 335.

Couldn't use a clip, because the Lee crimping die won't crimp a bullet without a cannelure - so I used single-shot mode for fear of set-back.

I think my son and I are going to split an 8-pounder of the 4895 that Widener's is offering, and get some 150 grain Winchester cannelured bullets. I want to do this right. These little bullets are fun, but not what the rifle is designed for.

The cat just won't eat this week.

What pressure did they proof these barrels at?