The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 14, 2015, 05:31 PM   #1
txray22

Ruger grips

I have an old Police Service Six 151 prefix. I just ordered a set of grips from Pachmayr. I bought a set on ebay years ago and they didn't fit so I figured to go straight from the company, after exchanging emails with a promise these would fix. They didn't!

This will make two sets of Pachmayrs, one set Hogues, and one set Ruger wooden target grips. I love the old gun, but the small wood grips make it hard to shoot.

I was told I could return these new grips and I can get a refund, but I'm getting tired of buying grips and selling them at gun shows for $5. I'm not ready to send it off for a custom set and it's a using/work gun.

Any ideas where I can get a reasonable priced set of grips? Some company that will refund if they don' fit.

thanks
Phil
Old November 18, 2015, 01:21 PM   #2
9x18_Walther

Phil,

Could you post a photo of the revolver? There is no reason these grips shouldn't be fitting unless something else is going on.
Old November 18, 2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Doyle

What are the first 3 digits of the serial number? The Ruger "six" series changed grip styles somewhere around serial number 150####. The vast majority out there are the later style. If you have one of the earlier styles, there might not be a viable aftermarket option for you.
Old November 18, 2015, 07:36 PM   #4
gunfighter48

Ruger changed the grip frames beginning at serial # 151 and up. Here's a link that shows that you will need to be sure the grips will fit models with the serial number starting at 151 and up.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-43677
Old November 18, 2015, 09:55 PM   #5
Model12Win

The new Pachmayr grips are just awful.

I've bought about three set within the last two years, for both S&W and Ruger revolvers. Guess what? You know the part where the screw screws in in the middle of the grip, on the opposite side where the screw head sits?

Every single one has torn loose. They were NOT overtightened. On two of them, they rotated and would not let the screw get tight without popping out of the rubber!! Between that, and the poor fit of these grips, the new Pachmayr rubber revolver grips are GARBAGE IMHO.

I would get a set of OLD Pachmayrs off ebay, preferably in the paperboard boxes. Those are nice. The new ones, suck.
Old November 19, 2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Slopemeno

There's not too many options for 150-series Security Six.

The Pachmayer "gripper" will work, but I recall having to drill a new locating pin hole at the bottom of the grip. Use caution- as you're drilling into the metal liner of the grips.

There's a guy selling some older Pachmayer grips in the "for sale " section right now.
Old November 26, 2015, 04:35 AM   #7
txray22

I can't post pictures. My serial prefix is 151, I called Pachmayr and was told, "they have been having problems with their grip and it was a design problem" I sent them back, but with paying shipping both ways and restocking cost, I might have been better off trashing them.

I ordered a set of Sile grips from CDNN sports and they don't fit, there is a gap all the way around the gun butt and I can see the frame.

That's 5 sets of grips I have tried. I'm thinking about selling/trading the gun off. It's a Police service six stainless steel 4 inch. I will check around and figure out what to ask for it.

I like Ruger revolvers and started out with a Blackhawk. I will check the forums and see what models don't have issues.

Thanks for input
Phil
Old November 29, 2015, 10:06 AM   #8
txray22

check out my ad in the for sale items.

Phil
Old November 30, 2015, 10:49 PM   #9
jackmoser65

Get some real custom grips that fill the hand, instead of that narrow rubber crap.
Old December 1, 2015, 07:46 AM   #10
txray22

Gun sold, have very nice holster for sale in classified section.