The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 21, 2015, 05:28 PM   #1
stagpanther

Holster for hunting Revolver

I have a couple of blackhawks that I'm grooming for hunting--but one of the biggest problems I've had was finding a holster that was big enough to carry a scoped wheelgun while still being comfortable and easy to access/use.

I soon learned that the commercial market for such holsters is virtually non-existent. I bought one of those side-kick shoulder holsters--it's so big, and such a hassle to put on--as well as being quite noisy when drawing the gun--that I decided it was not practical for me.

So today I was looking through my boxes of spare parts and I came across a conventional cheapo left-over belt holster and that lightbulb in my head went on (doesn't happen very often) and I took a pair of scissors and some hot glue and in just a few minutes I had my perfect holster.

Old November 21, 2015, 11:14 PM   #2
j357

Quote:
commercial market for such holsters is virtually non-existent
Off the shelf models may be somewhat limited for belt holsters, but a Roscoe like that really needs one of the following to be comfortable or easily deployed in my opinion: tanker; chest; or bandolier style.

Uncle Mike's and Bianchi should have something that will suit your needs in one of those styles, and get your pistol centered on the chest or down near your belt with the right straps.
Old November 22, 2015, 06:53 AM   #3
stagpanther

I'll take another look--been a while. I did buy a UM side-kick but don't like it.
Old November 22, 2015, 07:20 AM   #4
hartcreek

I will probably be a sidekick if you want a shoulder holster. I had a red dot on my 624 and the side kick worked just fine.

http://holsters.unclemikes.com/Holst...houlder~Scoped
Old November 22, 2015, 07:26 AM   #5
redrick

Diamond D Guides Choice chest holster , but it's not cheap .
Old November 22, 2015, 08:25 AM   #6
turkeestalker

Years ago I purchased a Redhawk with 7.5" barrel and mounted a 2x Nikon on top of it for hunting. Having the same problem I stumbled onto a Thompson Center holster used at a gun show which was very similar to this.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...FQ2UaQodDYYA5Q

It was sold with a shoulder harness that was thin, flimsy, and not very effective but I found one that worked with it much better. It also worked on a belt as a cross draw holster, which I purchased a leather cartridge belt to use it with and loved it. I wound up taking it to a local cobbler back when you could still find them around here. Since the Redhawk did not sit as tall in the holster as a TC would, I had him split, fold back, and sew the top to make a kind of shroud around the top of the scope to protect it. In fact the retention strap that you see fit snugly behind the trigger guard on the pistol exactly as one would think it should. It actually turned out very well and worked great.
I still have the pistol, and know that somewhere around here I still have the holster. I just can't seem to figure out where it's packed away to take a photo to post at the moment. None the less if you're like me and prefer leather, this is a viable option if you choose to alter it or not.
I'll keep looking and see if I can find that thing to post a pic with the pistol in it so you can see what I'm talking about. It really is as if it's made for it and offers outstanding protection for the pistol and scope.

Last edited by turkeestalker; November 22, 2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old November 23, 2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Steve in PA

I've use an Uncle Mike's Sidekick Bandoleer holster for probably 20 years now with my scoped Ruger Super RedHawk. Never had an issue or problem, other than needing to replace the snap for the holster flap.

The shoulder holsters are a pain, but the bandoleer holsters are much better.
Old November 27, 2015, 04:15 AM   #8
Capt Rick Hiott

Just google it...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Band...w=1344&bih=678
Old November 27, 2015, 06:21 AM   #9
gunnerk19

About 13 years ago, I picked up a left hand cross draw western style SA holster for my 6.5" scoped New Model .41 Mag Blackhawk. I did the same as you, cut a slot in the leather to accommodate the scope mount and it worked well for me.
Old November 27, 2015, 07:54 AM   #10
SARuger

I use a Triple K "Sportsman" for my 10.5" SBH, un-scoped. I don't see that holster listed anymore but it works flawless and its quiet in the woods