The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 26, 2013, 01:50 PM   #1
online olympian

tactical 22 help, which one should I buy..?

Here is my dilemma, I want to buy a .22 for run n guns and for backpacking. My first gun ever was a Ruger 10/22, that was stolen out of a storage locker during moving, and I just loved that gun I know that I can get a stock 10/22 right now from walmart for $200 but I know I will want to put a aftermarket stock and optic on it along with extra capacity magazines, such as the bx-25. The problem right now is the cost of these addons almost add up to the cost of a smith and wesson m&p 15-22 or the cost of the GSG 5-22. I know the bx-25 are extremely hard to find right now and are hovering north of $50 a piece. I can find the GSG mags in 2 packs for that much and they have a 110 round drum that is locate-able for around $100. my question is for those people that have experience with any tactical 22 and for some advice. I want a red dot but I don't want to spend over $100 on one considering my philosophy of use. I know I will want multiple magazines, an optic and a folding/telescoping stock with rails. The shorter I can make it the better for backpacking. Thanks for your help.
Old March 26, 2013, 05:26 PM   #2
BillyJack3

You want the M&P. Several threads on this here and other sites. Go with the Primary Arms 30MM Red Dot for like $70 and you'll be set. If you can find 15-22 mags, great. If not, plenty of people are moving to the higher capacity ProMags.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Boomer58cal

A TNP'er?

Personally I'm a 10/22 guy, but the m&p's are nice. They shoot well but do not have the after market the ruger does. With the m&p you kind of have what you have. If that's what you want you're good to go. The ruger the skies the limit.

Red dot... I bought 3 BSA's at a gun show and have nothing but good things to say about them other than you have batteries to replace. $25 each for the 2 30mm and $30 for a 40mm.

Boomer

Edit... stupid spell check keeps trying to tell me m&p isn't a word

Edit again...gunbroker.com had some m&p mags

Last edited by Boomer58cal; March 26, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:28 PM   #4
tgreening

Why not just go for the Ruger take down model? It's perfect for a back packing scenario.
Old March 27, 2013, 12:22 AM   #5
online olympian

Haha, yeah I am a tnp'r. I am going with the 10/22 and I think the ati strikeforce stock. what do you think of these optics?
http://www.dhgate.com/trijicon-acog-...00.html#s1-1-1
Old March 27, 2013, 07:18 AM   #6
BillyJack3

Quote:
They shoot well but do not have the after market the ruger does
What??? Nearly the entire AR15 aftermarket is an aftermarket for the M&P15-22. Stocks, handguards, triggers, QD mounts, lights, slings, sights, magnified optics, lasers, muzzle brakes, flash hiders, grips, rail covers, charging handles, rail mounted bottle openers....
Old March 27, 2013, 11:51 AM   #7
online olympian

did you say "rail mounted bottle openers"?! That is sweet, haha. I figure $200 for the gun, $100 for the ati strikeforce stock in coyote brown, around $50-100 for an optic, 30 bucks a piece for some bx-25 mags, $30 for the extended mag release and auto bolt and I will work the trigger over myself. Coming in around $500, for a nicely set up 10/22 about the same as I can find the m&p. If you know where I can get one around $400 I would. Any hints?
Old March 27, 2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Venom1956

Quote:
Haha, yeah I am a tnp'r. I am going with the 10/22 and I think the ati strikeforce stock. what do you think of these optics?
Hopefully you'll grow out of it... TNP... ugh

I would look into other stock and optic choices. ATI isn't a good or a bad stock its cheap light plastic but if the ergonomics are comfortable go for it.

You can get a better higher quality optic then some ACOG look alike for the money.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 28, 2013, 10:16 AM   #9
tgreening

If you really want that tactical look, I'd vote for the MP22, if not Rugers are hard to beat. There's a youtuber goes by shocktroop I believe, who is in love with the 10-22s and has some really cool builds. Some inspiration for you.

TNP: Hehe, yeahhh. I watched his stuff for about 10 minutes, but dang doesn't that guy like to hear himself talk! Somewhere along the line I think he's gotten wayyy too full of himself and I checked out when posted video giving people parenting advice.

Oh, another option to consider in the ready made "tacticool" line is the Sig. I have the 522 Swat version and love it. Not super crazy about the stock is the one dig I'd give, but it functions fine and it comes as a folder from the factory.

Only other problem is right now, around here anyway, .22 might as well be the gold fillings in Jimmy Hoffas mouth.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:26 PM   #10
online olympian

he sure does like to hear himself talk, but he has given me some great ideas. haha. But ya, I am looking at the sig 522 right now. just trying to find a good deal. I am thinking about buying the 10/22 right now giving it the tactical once over and perhaps selling it to upgrade to the sig, smith or the gsg522. I am planning on running an AK for my main battle rifle and just started looking into an ak variant .22 anyone have any experience with one of these? I still want to be able to back pack with it so if i can find myself a takedown 10/22 for msrp i would. I know the bi mart about 65 miles from me has 2 in stock right now for $309!
Old March 29, 2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Addler

I have the GSG AK 47 22 cal. I have it in the black polymer, but also have the typical wood furniture....This is a close to exact copy of a standard AK 47 in looks, feel, and weight............I have about 5k rounds thru it with no malfunctions.......I highly recommend it.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Gazpacho

I'll give you the same advice that I give others about tactical 10/22s.

First, dress up a 10/22 with an M1 Carbine style stock. Put Techsights on it. Replace the trigger group with one made of metal, and an improved mage release and bolt hold open. Then call it done. You will have a totally fun, and surprisingly accurate 10/22. Don't mess with it.

Then, buy a second 10/22, and dress it up with a never ending wave of aftermarket accessories. Shoot it for a couple of months, get tired of it and then dream up its next configuration.

Ocassionally, you'll grab your M1 Carbine 10/22, take it to the range, and blow through a brick of ammo, having way too much fun.

Eventually, you will get bitten by the Ultimate Bug. By that I mean the 10/22 Ultimate Bug. Rimfire Central has an entire subsection devoted to this Bug. You will proceed to buy a Volquartsen, of Kidd or some other really expensive 10/22 class receiver, and put together the most expensive rifle in your gunsafe. A rifle capable of shocking accuracy with some truly expensive 22lr ammo. Or truly shocking controlled rapid fire accuracy with cheap bulk ammo. Like 3" 20 round groups at 100 yards with a 1 second 1 round rate of fire, with Remington Goldenbullet.

You will begin to learn more about about rifle scope optics than you ever really wanted to.

If you are one of the (un)lucky few, one day at the range, another person will step up to the station next to you, wheeling a Pelican rifle case. As you watch him open it up, you are thinking that a $500 rifle case is just what your ultimate has been missing, you see it. Your first sighting of an Anschutz. OH MY GOD! Suddenly, your Ultimate feels cheap, tawdry. No matter how expensive you make it, it will never have the breeding, the sophistication, that exudes from the Anschutz now gloriously positioned on the shooting bench next to yours. You resist the urge to cover your lowly Ultimate with the oil rag you use to wipe your rifle down with.

The good news is that your shooting buddy, who couldn't make it to the range today, has always been envious of your Ultimate, just got promoted at work last week. He could buy that Ultimate off of you to fund your first Anschutz.

Luckily, you still have that faithful, reliably fun, M1 Carbine 10/22 still in your gunsafe, so you can still use all of your 10/22 magazines. Even the adjustable target magazines that have to be readjusted whenever you change manufacture lots of your favorite target ammo. It can still roll a pop can from 10 yards away, all the way out to the 100 yard marker.

So my advice to you? Build an M1 Carbine 10/22. Then buy a CZ 452 Ultra Lux and call it done. Make up a long and convoluted war story about all the 10/22s you built, and the gnat splatting 100 yard accuracy you achieved. Then, about how you sold it all and went old school, keeping your last 10/22 as a reminder of how you lost your mind.

I still have my Ultimate and my M1. My best shooting buddy got the promotion, and started his own Ultimate odyssey before I could unload mine on him. My new shooting buddy lets me shoot his Anschutz, all the while telling me how good my CZ 452 Trainer really is.

If I sold my motorcycle, I could probably convince my wife that an Anschutz really is necessary.
Old March 31, 2013, 11:40 PM   #13
9mmsnoopy

I bought an M&P 15-22 about a month ago. I loved it from the start and after i put a SightMark red dot on it i love it even more. Have a couple thousand rounds thru it thus far and my only complaint is that i am quickly going thru my .22 stockpile, its just too much fun. Highly recommend the 15-22.
Bushmaster AR15
Old April 1, 2013, 02:23 AM   #14
dakota.potts

We have both. The M&P is my mom's and the Ruger is my little brothers. Both are great and accurate. Both have a huge variety of aftermarket attachments.

One difference I did note, however, is that the M&P will feed and eject ammo that the Ruger won't. 1-2 shots per magazine failed to eject from the Ruger using Federal but when we switched to Blazer it worked fine. The M&P never failed to eject once. What happened with the Ruger is the empty shell would get caught in the bolt sideways instead of ejecting. My personal theory (not knowing a lot about the mechanics) is that the S&W has a more powerful ejection system using the gas differently. The shells fly out of that 10 or 15 feet whereas they sort of fall gently next to the Ruger when ejected.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Venom1956

Quote:
buying the 10/22 right now giving it the tactical once over and perhaps selling it to upgrade to the sig, smith or the gsg522
Sorry but none of the guns you listed right there are an improvement over a 10/22... at all. Ever.

TNP what ideas are good? Not trying to argue but I can't understand what people see in him. Seems like he likes to borrow guns and run around in the desert.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 2, 2013, 09:13 AM   #16
Boomer58cal

First off... most of the accessories named for the M&P are suitable for use on a 10/22 with a tactical stock. Secondly the M&P is not an AR-15. Many AR accessories don't fit the 15-22. You can now make a 10/22 without a single Ruger part in it. Just like the AR-15 the skies the limit. I would also suggest you check out the Tapco Interfuse stock. I have two and I love them.
Old April 2, 2013, 11:12 AM   #17
BillyJack3

Quote:
Many AR accessories don't fit the 15-22
Many? Like what? Just wondering since I can swap pretty much anything on my AR to my 15-22. Besides the integrated trigger guard (which a few ARs have also) buffer, buffer tube and spring (all in which a .22 does not require), what else constitutes many?
Old April 3, 2013, 01:43 AM   #18
pilot141

Got an MP 15-22 about a month ago. The thing is amazingly accurate out of the box and an absolute blast to shoot.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, can start plinking targets at 25 yards the first time with that MP 15-22. As someone else said, it also eats any ammo I feed it.

In a month I have put just about 500 rounds through it. (Well, I've done about 200 - the rest are friends and family who can't stop smiling while shooting.) Not a single failure, and I've been using Federal Bulk .22LR. I can also mount any Picatinny accessory to it - right now I have a bipod, foregrip and a taclight (just because I can).

I know the 10/22 is a great gun. But if you want something tactical, fun, and accurate right out of the box the Smith and Wesson MP 15-22 will do you right. Collapsible stock included.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:15 PM   #19
Quentin2

I'll also say get the M&P15-22 though I got the Colt M4 Tactical .22lr instead. The Colt has worked out fine and functions well beside my friend's M&P15-22. There are advantages and disadvantages to both but bottom line the S&W has more user community support. I wouldn't get the 10/22 unless you want a conventional .22lr semiauto.
Old April 6, 2013, 03:30 PM   #20
online olympian

Ok, so I went and bought the 10/22 at walmart for 199. I had full intentions of dressinf it up but as I was there the guy had a dpms sportical ar-15 for 597 that someone hadn't came to pick up. There went my money for the accessories. I don't even want an ar, iin fact I would trade it for an ak right now. But the price and availability factor made me jump on it. So now I got a stock wood framed 10/22 and an ar-15. Back to saving... but seriously, should I trade this ar? I have alwasy wanted an ak... let me know what you guys think. Thanks for all the comments. Dude talking about the m1 stule made me laugh, thanks!
Old April 6, 2013, 04:42 PM   #21
rep1954

I built this Lo-Tec-Tac 10/22 on the cheap. Rattle can cammo, Tech Sights aperture sights, epoxie putty bedding. Under $300.00 and a good shooter thats alot of fun. The Charger is a great gun set up like this and can hang with the 10/22. Not a tactical rifle but fits in a pack and dose not require assembly when you want to shoot it and in California it is considered a tactical terrorist gun and is on the list guns not allowed in that state.

Old April 6, 2013, 05:19 PM   #22
BillyJack3

If you don't want the AR, post it up and sell it for $900.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:19 PM   #23
Salmoneye

I prefer a Winchester Model 1906 S/L/LR Takedown...

*whistling*

ADDING:

Yes...I am aware what forum this is...

lol

Last edited by Salmoneye; April 6, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:55 AM   #24
pumkin

I think tgreening said it. I bought the takedown. It's pretty accurate. Most of all you can run w/ it. You sound like you want to be mobile. It comes apart and together in 5 seconds literally. I put half in each hand and run like heck if I had to. I've tried it. Running w/ a rifle in one hand isn't easy. It's pretty accurate. I mean surprisingly accurate. I'm guessing the reason is because it's a newly designed gun, the machinery and tooling there using is new and tight. I had a hard time making myself like the 10/22 though. It's just always felt to stocky- bulky for a .22 to me. I think the takedown is a little more slender though. My first .22 got stolen also. My dad bought me the browning takedown that ejected out the bottom of the receiver w/tublar magazine through the side rear end of stock when I was 9. It was a nice slender well balanced gun, pretty also. But I hated the bottom ejection. Casings would bounce all over the place. Somtimes hot ones would go down my shirt. I don't think it was quite as accurate as my 10/22 takedown though. I have had a little bit of a jamming issue w/ the 10/22 takedown though. It seems I need to keep bolt/receiver oiled heavier than one would think to keep it from jamming.