The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 24, 2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Tanker6

Colt 1851 Made by ASM

I've been eyeballin' a pair of 1851 Navies (in .44 cal) listed on GB that include the Colt address (like a "real" Colt) on the barrel. Somewhere (I can't remember where -- it might have even been here) I've read that Colt sold these but they were made by ASM.

My question is this: Are these "more valuable" since they are marketed by Colt or just like buyin' another ASM reproduction?

The listing is here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=221169530

Thanks in advance for your thoughtfull replies.
Old March 24, 2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Hawg

I'm thinking ASM bought the surplus third gen parts from Colt Black Powder Arms Co. They were not made nor sanctioned by Colt. ASM's don't have a good reputation but some swear by them. Others swear at them. No way IMHO are they worth anywhere near the auction price. bp revolver has the scoop on these maybe he'll pop in.
Old March 24, 2011, 12:33 PM   #3
mykeal

Quote:
Are these "more valuable" since they are marketed by Colt
No.

They were not 'marketed by Colt'. Colt had nothing to do with them, in fact, they sued ASM to stop production.

ASM produced several such guns while attempting to negotiate a license agreement with Colt's Manufacturing Co., essentially trying to get in on the 2nd and 3rd Generation Colt business. Colt turned them down, but ASM had already built and shipped several guns to retailers.

They're ASM, pure and simple. And way overpriced at that.
Old March 24, 2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Tanker6

I thought so......

I appreciate the information. They're over my "price range" anyhow. I missed out on a pair of Pietta 1851's a few weeks ago b/c I didn't have the cash at that time. The pair sold for $233

I'll bide my time. There'll be another pair show up eventually.