The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Fearlez

Where to buy?

I've been researching reloading for a little while now and still finding it hard to come by good place to get order reloading equipment and supplies. Where do you guys buy your supplies? (Bullets/Brass/Powder/Primers) Locally or Internet? Where did you purchase your reloading equipment? I'm looking to reload .308 and a handgun round.
Old November 7, 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
klcmschlesinger

Midway USA is probably my favorite for bullets and brass, but you have to pay shipping. I have a local Grafs and a local Cabela's that sometimes beat Midway because of the shipping.
Powder and primers I usually buy at a local gun show or Grafs. Best prices I have found around here.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old November 7, 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
fourrobert13

Powder Valley for powder, primers, & bullets.

Wideners is also a good place for all of the above.

Midway USA is good for bullets, but they will rape you with shipping HAZMAT, $20 HAZMAT fee + $9.99.

I do 90% of shopping with Powder Valley for bulk supplies, but the other 10 % is split up between the othe 2 places and local.
Old November 7, 2007, 05:45 PM   #4
arizona hunter

If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse near you they are a very good place to buy nearly all reloading supplies. Cabelas is good too plus they have internet sales. Other internet places I shop at are : Lock, Stock and Barrel, Midsouth Shooters Supply, Natchez Shooters Supply, Graf and Sons and Midwayusa.

Check out any local small shops, too. I've been pleasantly surprised more than once in my area as to whats available at some of these "mom & pop" stores.
Old November 7, 2007, 05:49 PM   #5
CrustyFN

+1 on Powder Valley for components. The only place I have found them cheaper is Graf's and that's with a C&R license. As far as equipment, it depends on which brand you decide to go with.
Rusty
Old November 7, 2007, 07:18 PM   #6
JoeHatley

I always try to buy locally 1st. Saves on haz mat fees and/or shipping charges. As an added bonus, I think it's important to support the local folks.

2nd choice is Powder Valley

3rd choice is Midway

Joe
Old November 7, 2007, 07:33 PM   #7
BigJimP

Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabellas - all good sources. For presses themselves, dealing with someone like Dillon direct is fine as well. They have very good customer service - you can find them at dillonprecision.com but there are other companies out there RCBS, Hornady, etc. I like the Dillon equipment though - and the square deal B is a good press for pistol calibers / although I like the 650 model as my first choice and it'll handle the .308 and almost any pistol caliber you want.

For components - especially powder and primers - buying them locally is a lot less hassle than shipping them. But you need to settle on a recipe - which primer, which powder and which bullet you want to use first so you can buy exactly what you need.
Old November 8, 2007, 10:44 AM   #8
arizona hunter

I forgot to mention, as a couple guys already did, to avoid the large Hazmat fees, I only buy powder and primers locally.
Old November 8, 2007, 08:53 PM   #9
CrustyFN

Quote:
I forgot to mention, as a couple guys already did, to avoid the large Hazmat fees, I only buy powder and primers locally.
I wish I had that option. Primers local for me are $29 per 1,000 and I can buy them on the interweb for $16 per 1,000. The same with powder. I buy powder for close to $12 per pound on the web. The savings more than makeup for the hazmat and shipping fees if you buy in large quantities. I usually go in with some friends and we buy primers 50,000 at a time and powder 50 pounds at a time. Both of those quantities fall under one $20 hazmat fee. That's a good way to save a lot of money.
Rusty
Old November 9, 2007, 10:35 AM   #10
arizona hunter

Wow Crusty,
I wish I had enough shooting time to go through 50,000 primers and 50 lb of powder (not all yours of course. Good plan you and your friends have, though.

This weekend I get to use some of my primers; one more prairie dog shoot before the end of the year
Old November 9, 2007, 09:33 PM   #11
3StrikesNC

Midsouth Shooters Supply, in TN.
Old November 10, 2007, 12:56 AM   #12
gandog56

I usually get my powder and primers from Natchez. I get dies and stuff from Midway. For bullets, if Precision bullets doesn't have or make what I need, I shop around. For brass I usually go to ammobrasstrader.com, as I always pick up a few stowaways from the range and have extra to trade.
Old November 10, 2007, 01:12 PM   #13
CrustyFN

You can also order powder and primers together from Powder Valley or Graf's and they will ship them together for just one hazmat fee. It doesn't take much to make the hazmat fee worth it.
Rusty
Old November 10, 2007, 05:55 PM   #14
ArizonaRick

Montana Gold for FMJ's or HP's

For jacketed bullets it's hard to beat Montana Gold for quality and accuracy
Example - 115 FMJ are $ 64.75 per 1K delivered (no tax)
If you buy bulk (10K+) and go in with a couple of friends or gun club folk you can get 115 FMJ for $59 per 1K.

Plus 1+ on Graf & son on powder.

Good luck Arizona Rick
Old November 14, 2007, 06:37 PM   #15
Gigem74

Relaoding Supplies

I have just gotten back into reloading after being away for 20 years. I also have been ordering thru Midway. However, Midway will cost big money for powder and primers because of shipping and handling plus a $20 hazardous shipping charge. I am in the Dallas-Ft Worth area and haven't found a good source for those hazardous items. There is a Cabellas in north Ft Worth that has lots of stuff (including primers) but there are so many powders now, no one can carry them all. I am trying to get a local range to order me a lb of Accurate #7. They claim it is on order, but don't know what charges I may be stuck with in addition to powder cost.

Anybody out there know what best bet is for Fort Worth, TX?