The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 4, 2007, 07:58 PM   #1
hodaka

Rabbit ear Parker double

A friend asked me to look at a shotgun she had inherited. It was in good shape, although old and brown. A cursive "Parker" clearly ingraved on the receiver(or whatever that part of a shotgun is called). It had a small dent in the left barrel about midway. I would give it a "good" condition based on the 5 minute inspection. My book on Gun Values only lists hammerless Parkers, which range from a few to many thousand dollars. I would not hesitate to shoot this one based on the tightness. It was not a Damascus barrel. I sort of liked it and may offer to buy it from her. Any thoughts on value or date of manufacture of these? Thanks.
Old January 4, 2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Real Parker shotguns are Parker Brothers shotguns. I don't know if any were marked just Parker but would be suspicious. There were a lot of cheap copies with mangled brand names in those days. Get a very thorough description with all markings and pictures to show here and on the Parker board before you lay down any amount of money.

http://www.parkergun.org/forums/forum1/