The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 27, 1999, 11:54 PM   #1
Bennett Richards

I was wondering if anyone here has used the vangComp an found it to be worth the $200.00 to modify the barrel for a defensive weapon?
Shot that much softer and that much better?

Thanks,

Ben
Old December 28, 1999, 12:30 AM   #2
bruels

Yes. It reduced the size of the patterns almost 50%. Felt recoil and muzzle rise is noticibly reduced.

[This message has been edited by bruels (edited December 28, 1999).]
Old December 28, 1999, 01:24 AM   #3
dwestfall

I just patterned mine with Fed Tac 00. Rem 870, Vang Comp -w- porting, Scattergun Tech sights.

Out to 15 yards the pattern was the size of my fist. (~3-4")

At 25 yards the pattern was about 6".

At 30 yards the pattern was the size of my outstretched palm. (~10") Still dense - no donuts or stringing, and centered POA.

I couldn't believe it, and my witness was suitably impressed as well. Ammo selection does make a difference though. Next time I'll keep moving back and see what it's like at 50.
Old December 28, 1999, 07:13 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nope,it's not necessary. It sounds like a nice idea and setup, but it's not necessary.

Just for comparison,tho, my HD 870 has no choke, a lengthened forcing cone on a 18" bbl and my old duty load cuts 20-24" patterns at 25 yards. As for reducing recoil, with the sidesaddle and extended mag, the piece weighs 9 lbs plus and recoil's not a problem.

With this piece, anyone with some proficiency could traverse fire 5 targets at 15 yards in 5 seconds with good hits. I used to able to do it in 4, maybe I still could.

Everything I've heard about Vang is good, but IMO, the money(unless you're loaded with it) would be better spent on ammo and range time.
Old December 28, 1999, 11:45 PM   #5
dwestfall

Dave,

20-24" at 25 yards is a standard pattern size (1" per yard). But not everybody is 24" wide, and the pellets that actually hit center-of-mass will be few.

A tighter pattern makes for a more versatile weapon. For instance, you can take "hostage rescue" shots by holding off much more easily when you know your pattern is going to be small. You can take shots at longer ranges with buckshot that require others to do select-slug drills for every shot.

No, Vang is not cheap, but my pattern is roughly 1/4 the size of yours at 25 yards. It was completely worth it for me. For once, smaller is better!

You're right, it's not absolutely necessary. However, if I bought another 870 it would be among the first three things I had done to it. (Side saddle, ghostring sights being the other two.)
Old December 29, 1999, 07:01 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dwestfall, I worked on a Hostage Recovery team for a while,and have some idea of the proper weapon for hostage rescue shots. It's not any shotgun.

And, I seriously doubt that I'll ever need to make a 25 yd shot in a HD scenario,and my 870 will work just fine at the ranges I expect to be dealing with. If not, I could get Greg Wolf to install choke tubes and tighten that spread considerably.

Again,I've heard nothing bad about Vang. I just doubt the need.T'were I loaded with cash, I'd probably send one of my 870s off there and do it just to see, but I'm not.
Old December 30, 1999, 02:15 AM   #7
dwestfall

No argument, a shotgun is not what you WANT for a hostage-rescue situation. But it may be what you wind up with if you've showed up with a shotgun and somebody suddenly grabs your wife and puts a gun to her head. For that shot, at any range, I want the tightest pattern possible.
Old December 30, 1999, 04:03 AM   #8
nyeti

I've done extensive testing on the Vang Comp system for my agency- results- It shot near perfect circular groups that were half the size of an 18" stock 870. This was with a 14" barrel done by Hans. If you know how to use a shotgun you'll understand the importance of tight grouping. As far as not selecting a shotgun for HRT or long range work, sometimes you have no choice. I dumped my first BG with an 870 at night with the final hit coming at 47 yds. on a moving target-I would have rather had a Benelli with slugs and good sights or a rifle, but sometimes you gotta run what you brung, and that was what was in the unit. By the way, after my testing I ended up with two Vang Barrels, a 14" and a 19". They have performed well above my expectations and they were worth every penny.
Old December 31, 1999, 04:39 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Dwestfall, I've a hard time visualizing anyone getting a gun to Wife's head w/o having their physiognomy altered by the addition of several 38 cal holes. Wife don't play that stuff.Nor, do I see much chance of the situation getting that far out of hand w/o intervention on my part. But, life is uncertain.

Nyeti,congrats on surviving.One thing, LOD shootings have different rules that private citizens in HD scenarios.

Like i said, Vang sounds like a good thing, just not essential....
Old January 3, 2000, 02:40 PM   #10
nyeti

ASOLUTELY: I would never recommend that civlians would take a fleeing armed felon shot. There is a great difference between many LE scenarios, and self defense, and the appropriate tactics for each (this is why I am so against many civilian trainers and competition tactics in law enforcement). In an indoor defensive scenario, I would want my 870 barrel Vang Comped, and for life insurance for my family, its worth every bit of $200.
Old January 4, 2000, 05:22 PM   #11
rangeboy511

I was planning on getting one, maybe both my Mossbergs the VCS treatment. I have a question to the folks who have used the VCS though. Does the porting result in any significant muzzle flash that screws up your night vision? Thanks!
Old January 4, 2000, 08:21 PM   #12
Bennett Richards

Has anyone trieed the PatternMaster choke... Kind of a choke tube with tabs that hold back the wad a bit. Supposed to group 00 real well. Just wondering if it's as good as vang Comp and if you can use slugs with it?

Ben
Old January 5, 2000, 12:56 AM   #13
Will Fennell

Ben,
We've been using Patternmaster shotgun/buckshot chokes here in South Carolina on whitetails for 4 years. They are AWESOME. We are getting the size groups folks are talking abut with the VANG system, for a$65 choke tube. I've got on in my 870 now. Granted, you don't get the massive recoil reduction, but you still have choke tube versitility.

The choke patterns soooo tight, it has impressed upon me the need for ghost ring sites[I will have them before spring turkey season].

I'm not taking away from the VANG COMP setup, ....probally for a dedicated LEO weapon, its a better mousetrap, but for a hunter/home defender that wants better performance, I can't see a better way.

------------------
Stay Sharp!

Will Fennell/CAMILLUS CUTLERY

Old January 5, 2000, 02:56 PM   #14
Ewok

I didn't notice any extra muzzle flash, but I'm use to shooting .38 +P snubbies I'll try to pay more attention to the flash next time I shoot my 590A1.

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

Old January 10, 2000, 01:52 AM   #15
tuc22

I think so. With Federal Tactical 00 buck my 870 patterns at:
5 yards- 1 inch
7 yards- 1.5 inch
10 yards- 2 inches
15 yards- 5 inches
20 yards- 10 inches
If you use a choke tube, remember some day it just might fly out the barrel downrange. the Vang Comp works!