The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 29, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Spare parts prices?

I've gotten to the point I have a little bit of everything in my blackpowder set up in regards to revolvers. I've been at the range when a spring will break or something small happens...

I'm in the process of putting together a kit for the most needed parts not only for my own interests, but others of my club that like to shoot these things too- not to make money on them, but just for the purpose of garnering interest in the sport. Hey, when you break something on a Friday and there's a shoot on Saturday- you need the part!

There seems to be a vast disparity of prices on little things like springs and screws from the normal places. Is there anyplace that will sell me a dozen of each of the most common springs and screws for 1858's, 1860's for Piettas and Ubertis for a deal? Some well known parts houses that specialize in these reproductions really seem to gouge!
Old March 29, 2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Yep

Andy,

I like the internal parts bags sold by Cabela's They may be up to thirty bucks right now but the parts they contain are worth the price. They are good for 1851, 1860 and then 1858.

Also, it is not just the price of the parts it is the price of the shipping. It has gotten to where it doesn't make sense to order anything unless you have to buy a lot of somethings. DGW and Taylors appear to be about the same but I think their minimum is somewhere around seven bucks. I think VTI is about the same.

Some of the time, if a guy has parts for sale on GB, he wants more for them than they cost new. (Backstrap and trigger guard in brass for 67.00?!)