The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 12, 2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Gdown

Question about Ruger revolvers

I'm new to handguns and the like, although I've owned a shotgun and rifle for years, and shoot fairly regularly. I've been looking to get into handguns, both for target shooting and hunting (and honestly a handgun strikes me as more practical for home defense than a 28" barrel shotgun). Besides, I've wanted a revolver for as long as I can remember.

At the moment, I'm leaning heavily towards Ruger revolvers, particularly the Redhawk and Blackhawk series. I love heavy handguns, and the extra weight of these is very endearing. So here is my question: I have come across a Super Blackhawk in great condition at a local gun show for $450. My grandfather has a Redhawk in .357 magnum with a scope that he might sell me (he said he'll beat any price I can find on the market. What that will be, I don't know. At least in the same ballpark of the Super Blackhawk I mentioned).

So... which do you think is a better buy? I have another school year coming up (college), although my dad helps me out with books and tuition, and I have more than enough in the bank to buy either of these.
Old August 12, 2012, 01:13 AM   #2
freebird72

Buy from Grandpa.
Old August 12, 2012, 01:18 AM   #3
skidder

The 357 Redhawks have gone up in value considerably. Anything under $700, especially with a scope, would be a great buy. They didn't make that many, so if your uncle will match you the $450 you saw on the Blackhawk.... go for it! I've been seeing the 357 Redhawks go for $700-$900.

I have the 44 Redhawk and it is a fine weapon, well crafted and tough as nails.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old August 12, 2012, 08:25 AM   #4
stu925

Quote:
Buy from Grandpa.
I'll second that, odds are good that he took good care of it. Buying used at a gun show you never know who had it before you. You also get the added benefit of owning your grandfather's gun. I have all of my father's guns and I'd never part with any of them, I also have 2 guns that belonged to my grandfather. All of those guns are going to my boys when they're old enough. It's nice to have a piece of family history to hand down.

Stu
Old August 12, 2012, 08:40 AM   #5
sheepman

Buy the Redhawk, it is a family gun and a rare Ruger to boot.

Last edited by sheepman; August 12, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:23 AM   #6
BlkHawk73

While the SBH doesn't apear to be a bad deal with what details are given for it, the RH is Grandpa's. That alone should be what steers you that direction. Add in that the 357 RH's are becoming somewhat scarce... Well, you'll always be able to find a SBH. Not a fan of the RH series but even I wouldn't have to ask what to choose.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:34 AM   #7
9mm1033

Another vote for purchasing grandpa's gun. You know the owner, the uses and the care of the firearm.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Pointshoot

+1 on buying your Granpa's gun

I own Blackhawks and Redhawks. Like them both. IMO the Blackhawk is one of the relatively few bargains in big bore revolvers nowadays. You can get one of those later if you want.

Buy Granpa's gun and then never sell it. In my far younger years I sold guns given to me by loved ones who are now gone - - - and I really regret it.
Old August 12, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Jim March

There were only about 5,000 357 Redhawks ever made. They are highly sought after in some circles as a "nearly un-killable" 357, and the 2nd strongest 357Magnum revolver ever - right behind Freedom Arm's insane 5-shot-on-a-454-frame monstrosity.

If you want a gun to learn reloading on, the 357 Redhawk is just awesome.
Old August 12, 2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Hammerhead

Yup, the 357 Redhawk for sure.
Besides, Redhawks are much better looking than the Supers.
With a big beefy 357 like that, you can shoot magnum ammo all day long without getting a sore hand. .38's will feel like shooting a .22.
Old August 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice

Welcome, Gdown.

The .357 Redhawk is an AWFUL gun. (as in FULL OF AWE). About the only criticism one could level at it is that it tends to be heavy. So much metal in the cylinder and such little holes.

The Super Blackhawk might be a really good deal and more versatile (to the handloader), but to pass up the .357 Redhawk would be the height of foolishness.

For home defense, an 18" barrel for your shotgun should not be hard to come by. 10" off the front makes a far handier weapon. For typical home defense scenarios (stationary defense, not going out clearing rooms, etc) shotguns are generally recognized as most effective (easily aimed and great stopping power at close range) and least problematic (overpenetration, muzzle flash, supersonic muzzle blast).

Against my interest in getting one of the .357 Redhawks, DO NOT let that gun leave your family.

Lost Sheep
Old August 12, 2012, 11:54 PM   #12
Gdown

Thanks for all the advice. I'd been leaning toward the Redhawk to begin with (I wanted a .357 in the first place), so I'll go with that option. That is, if my grandfather decides to sell it to me; he may decide not to, which is understandable. He is very attached to the gun. And besides, I don't want him to feel like he needs to/has to sell it to me. As for the gun leaving the family, I doubt he'd sell it, and if I get it I will never sell it. My family tends to keep such things in the family anyway; my other grandfather has a VERY old break-barrel revolver (a 38-40 Smith and Wesson, I believe, serial no. 25) that was given to him by his father, who got it from his father, who bought it in the mid to late 1800s.

To Lost Sheep: The shotgun is a Benelli Nova, so getting another barrel isn't that easy... They run $300 and up now, which is more than I paid for the gun.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:46 AM   #13
Hansam

If he'll sell it to you buy it from him. That's a great and rare revolver and its a family piece. Keep it in the family and buy it from him.

Last I saw used Blackhawks were going arond $400-$500 in my area. A .357 Redhawk on the other hand, IF I can find one, goes for much much more.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:26 AM   #14
SRH78

+1 to what already been said. This is a no brainer IMO.