The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 11, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
TomM

Searching for 1851 Navy Plans

Hello. I'm a big fan of the forums, but have only just posted.

The 1851 Navy Revolver is one of my favorite firearms. I have a great interest in building my own, but i can't find decent plans, and I've definitely invested time into finding them. Yes, there is a dealer on ebay that sells them, but I'm wondering where they would have gotten them, and why only he seems to have these plans exclusively.

I've searched a few patent databases, and have come close to finding what I need, but not quite.

I will most likely purchase these plans as a last resort, but any help, information, and pictures anyone can provide would be really great.
Thanks

Tom
Old January 11, 2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

Have you tried writing Colt and asking for an exploded parts view?
I suppose you could buy a cheap kit and model your parts from that.
Old January 11, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
pohill

I know they're incomplete, and I don't even know where I got them, but is this the type of plan you're looking for?

Old January 11, 2011, 12:41 PM   #4
TomM

Yeah, i was able to find an exploded view online. what i'm looking for is just that, pohill. They look like the plans on ebay. But yeah, those look perfect. Did you take those pictures?

Last edited by TomM; January 11, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 12:49 PM   #5
darwins

Those drawings are awesome.
Old January 11, 2011, 02:36 PM   #6
pohill

I'm pretty sure that I did get the pics of those plans on ebay (or somewhere online) awhile ago.

Yep, just checked ebay and that's most likely where I got the pics. That's not too bad a price for them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/COLT-1851-Navy-o...item53dde54823
Old January 11, 2011, 04:00 PM   #7
TomM

yeah, the price is fine, i was just exploring other routes. Thanks guys. If anyone else has other plans or anything they can contribute, that would still be very welcome.

Tom
Old January 11, 2011, 04:34 PM   #8
pohill

Do you plan on making the entire handgun?
Old January 11, 2011, 06:43 PM   #9
TomM

I am. I want to make a working wooden replica first. I'm friends with a relative of "Wild Bill" Hickok, who used the gun extensively, and I'd like to make him and myself a model. The barrel, grip, and cylinder I could figure out from free resources. The trigger assembly is the section I need reference for, most. But if anyone has anything, that'd be great.

Question, does anyone know what happened to the original patent/plans? I know there was a fire at one point, but I don't know if those patterns made it.
Thanks

Tom
Old January 11, 2011, 11:00 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Just as a suggestion, in combination with a set of plans that are halfway decent, perhaps you could locate someone who has an original '51 Navy that you could take your meaqsurements, patterns from? Or, if it didn't have to be 100% - possibly you could borrow a repro Uberti or similar and take measurements.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 14, 2011, 10:29 PM   #11
Gator Weiss

Navy Arms used to publish a very good exp view

Try Navy Arms.