The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: what grips would you get?
Pachmayr 14 34.15%
Houge 16 39.02%
Wood or other 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 3, 2012, 08:09 AM   #1
customaquatics

pachmayr or houge?

were getting new grips for the revolver "gp100" an we can't descide to stay with the factory Ruger Houge handgrips or go with the legandary Pachmayr or something else?
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:13 AM   #2
drail

Go with Hogue - wood or rubber. Because Pachmayr really sucks. Actually the factory grips are pretty hard to beat. Are you swapping grips because of recoil problems or because you have large or small hands or just trying to dress the gun up?
Old December 3, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
bird_dog

I've had both, and currently only have Hogue.

I find that the Hogue is hard enough rubber that it maintains some rigidity when the gun is fired, somewhat protection your hand from hot loads.

Pachmyr (Decelerators are the ones I've had experience with) seem much softer and tend to really tear up your skin, because they are more 'grabby'. I think softer is not better, when it comes to recoil.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Jayhawkhuntclub

I really liked my Pachmayrs 25 years ago. Then I saw some Hogues and now have no use for Pachmayrs. I love Hogues.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:00 PM   #5
iraiam

I currently use some of both. I'm not loyal to either brand, I just use what I feel fits my need. I feel they are both quality products

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old December 3, 2012, 12:07 PM   #6
KenL

I've used them both, but have settled on Houge because the palm swell fits my hand and it feels more comfortable.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:04 PM   #7
kahrguy

pack-a- derm grips are NOT ledgends around my house. More like gray file filler. I am one that hates them.

Now Shoot your revolver and deside on the ones you have first. grips are something you have to figure out not us.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Nanuk

I did not vote. Like iraiam I use what suits the need at the time. That being said 2 of my smiths are wearing pachmayr's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:32 PM   #9
drail

Wow, I am surprised by the number of ex-Pachmayr users. When the Pachmyers were first introduced they were much better than the stock S&W grips. (which is not saying much) My experience is that the Hogue with finger grooves either fits your hand or it doesn't. If it fits it will force you to have the same grip on the gun every time you draw it. This is a very good thing for accurate shooting. Guy Hogue figured this out when he shot competition and developed the original Monogrip. Consistency is very important for repeatable accurate shooting. If the Hogue doesn't fit your hand then you'll just have to keep looking. Some of the Hogues are available without grooves if that helps. They also are available in soft rubber, hard nylon or wood. When I shot revolvers in competition I tried eveything I could find and always went back to the Hogue Monogrip. It may not be as pretty as other grips but it just flat works.
Old December 4, 2012, 06:43 AM   #10
customaquatics

i was wondering cause the houge grips that came on it has a bump on the part of the grip that would fit into your palm an it bugs me an o ok i didn't know the pachmayr's are soft an kinda sticky. what would you guys say about wood? or the rubber with those wood inserts?
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

I have little regard for either of them. To me, they look cheap and I really don't find them very comfortable. One a nice revolver, wood is the only way to go.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:48 AM   #12
kahrguy

You just have to find what grip make and material works for you. Not for us. Rubber grips are cheap, try several of them first of purdy is not a big deal. Don't like ether make rubber buy hogue wood or eagle and go from there. Stock grips work for many also. 357 revolvers have a fair amount of snap even with milder factory loads. None make them easy to shoot like a .22lr.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:12 PM   #13
lowercase

The Hogues don't fit my hand well.

I'd go for the Pachmayr, or some Uncle Mike's (discontinued, but still available NOS).

I'd also suggest looking at wood grips. I'm currently looking at Badger grips for one of my GP100s.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:58 PM   #14
Nanuk

I do not accessorize my gun for looks, it is all about performance. For me wood is slick.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 4, 2012, 03:23 PM   #15
ttyler380

The rubber that Hogue uses causes me an allergic reaction. I prefer wood, uncle mike's, Pachmayr in that order. Older(used) Pachmayr fit at seams better and have little flash to remove. Pachmayr needs to refurb their molds.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:11 PM   #16
MK11

Wood is for looks, rubber is for shooting.

On a GP100, I'd probably lean Hogues. On Smiths, I prefer Pachs because I can't stand the exposed backstrap. Pachs tend to feel sloppy when first installed but "settle" after a little use.

As someone previously mentioned, if you can find the original GP100 grips, they beat Hogue, pachs AND wood. Best factory grips ever.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:28 PM   #17
skidder

I have four different brands of rubber grips on my revolvers: Siles, Pachs, Uncle Mike's, Hogue. Whatever fits the best for each revolver is my choice.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old December 4, 2012, 05:57 PM   #18
k511

i voted houge out of the two...i have used both and currently only have hogues, and only on my CCW firearms... ive gotten nice wood for everything else...
Old December 4, 2012, 06:19 PM   #19
rem44m

None of the above, I like the compact rubber grips you find on older GP's or off Midway's website.

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"