The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2012, 02:07 PM   #1
NicverAZ

Offered a good deal for a NIB Lee Pro 1000... but not my caliber

A neighbor of mine is selling a NIB Lee Pro 1000 for $95. He never used it because he had a stroke, which is why I will not haggle on the price.

Only issue is that it is the 45 ACP kit and I am looking to reload 9mm due to my new hobby (shooting a lot of 9mm ammo out of my GP6).

For $95, is it a good deal, considering I will have to buy a whole set of dies for 9mm?

I may very well resell the 45 ACP dies to recoup some of the conversion cost (I am not interested in shooting 45 ACP right away, something too cartoonish about this caliber, and the fact that 1911s are pricey for a competitive setup).

So is this a good deal?

Thanks!
Old March 3, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
h20man1975

looks like a good price to me. because this is the best price i have seen on that set up.
http://www.titanreloading.com/presse...-lee-pro-1000-

and for another 40 bucks you can buy 9mm dies from lee.
Old March 3, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
NicverAZ

Are you following me?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...&#entry1651703

Or is it a coincidence?

By the way, will any other 9mm set of dies work, for instance RCBS?

Finding some good stuff on Craig's!

Thanks

Last edited by NicverAZ; March 3, 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old March 3, 2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Probably not (the dies question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicverAZ
By the way, will any other 9mm set of dies work, for instance RCBS?

Thanks
The Pro-1000 is a three-station press.

1- Size & deprime
2- bell case mouth & charge with powder
3- seat bullet & crimp

The Lee bell/charge die (#2) drops a charge of gunpowder through the (hollow) center of the case-mouth belling die using the Lee Auto-Disk powder measure.

I don't think any RCBS die can do that.

Since you only have three die stations, you will not be able to add a dedicated powder-charging station and your full progressive efficiency will be broken up.

Try to trade the Lee 45 ACP dies straight across for Lee 9mm dies. Or, keep the dies. You will want a 45 eventually. Trust me.

Lost Sheep

edit: Scimmia reminded me of what I should have known but was focused only on the dies, so I didn't think. You will need a 9mm shell plate in exchange for your 45 ACP shell plate and a small primer feeder instead of the large primer feeder. I didn't know about the different case feeders.

I am redder in the face than the press.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; March 3, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old March 3, 2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Scimmia

To convert from 45ACP to 9mm, you'll need the dies, shell plate, primer attachment, and small case feeder kit. Honest, you'd probably be better off buying a new one if you don't have any intention of reloading 45 or similar size rounds. Adding it up quick at FSReloading is roughly $70 + shipping. You happened to hit one of the conversions that needs virtually everything replaced.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:37 PM   #6
NicverAZ

I see... In this case only if I intended to reload 45 would it be a good purchase.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Scimmia

If you intend to branch out into other calibers at all it could be a good deal. You could probably sell the dies, and the case feeder and primer attachment would be used with other calibers as well. The only thing you'd really be stuck with is the shell plate, they don't exactly sell like hotcakes. If you're sticking with only 9mm, yeah, probably not a deal.

Quote:
edit: Scimmia reminded me of what I should have known but was focused only on the dies, so I didn't think. You will need a 9mm shell plate in exchange for your 45 ACP shell plate and a small primer feeder instead of the large primer feeder. I didn't know about the different case feeders.

I am redder in the face than the press.
LOL, don't feel bad, Lost Sheep, we know you don't use a Pro 1000 anymore. Only reason it all popped right into my head is that I use mine to load for 7 different calibers, so I'm switching things around all the time.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

The obvious answer is buy the press, buy the parts you need to convert to 9mm, and buy a .45 Auto or a .45 revolver.

I've bought more than one gun because I found dies at a good price for a corresponding cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:53 PM   #9
chris in va

I'd skip it and get a Lee Classic Cast as you're new to reloading. Heck, you should see how many thousands I've reloaded with my Hand Press.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Dakotared

I would not even thinks twice, HELL YEA BUY IT!!!! As for wanting to do 9mm it will cost close to that same price to buy all you would need to change it over. So if you never plan on doing .45 than pass and just go get the 9mm as it will be less expensive.

http://fsreloading.com/lee-pro-1000-...ger-90640.html

I just bought this and my neighbor has a .45 and I plan on getting one soon so I want to set up for it but if I could get one for the price that you are being offered it would be done.
Old March 4, 2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Don P

I would like to know where these deals are when I'm looking for stuff.
Being new like Mike said buy the press and the extra stuff you need for 9 mm and be done with it. Price them new if you think its a so-so deal. personally I'd be all over it like stink on poop
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 7, 2012, 03:48 PM   #12
farmall

I'd say go for it too.

I haven't been on here much in the last few months, but am surprised that nobody has turned this into a flame war yet!
Cant remember the last time I saw a Lee post, let alone about buying a P1K that didn't degrade fast!

I say go for it....we'll help you get it running.