The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 1, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1
cocopolo

H & R model 340 .308win cal

I understand that this rifle was only produced from 1982 to 1984...I purchased one brand new out of the box and and it has been since then my main hutning rifle. Not much information about them anywhere. Mine has seen lots of action and I refinished the stock last year and it is a really great hunting rifle...any thoughts on its reputation. I noticed that the bolt looks just like the one on ruger bolt action rifles. I'm a bit disapointed with the groups lateley but that might have to do with the fact that I'm too cheap to buy an expensive scope for it. I bagged a deer at 285 yrd with it in 2006. Since it was only made for two years, does it have greater value than most...In understand that it has a modified mauser action and it has a 22 inch barrel.
Old March 3, 2008, 10:18 PM   #2
RJay

No, sorry about that, it's value is on a par with H&Rs other products. NIB 400, VG 350, G 300, F 225, P 150. With a refinished stock the best grade would probably be Good.
Old December 1, 2023, 10:35 PM   #3
cocopolo

Old old thread but just maybe the writer still is active...I've has a H & R model 340 in .308 win since 1982 and purchased it in Swan Lake Manitoba and it was a promo. With a bushnell straight X4 32 mm scope I shot my first buck with it at 310 yards in a prone position. I have since shot lots of amo through it and until about 10 years a go it was my only deer gun and I bagged at least 25 deer with that rifle. I still have it. I had to completely sand down the stock as it was all scratched and I refinished it with finnish oil. Still looks great and shots good. I will keep it in the family. I have read feeds that say the eastern modified mauser action on it and barrel were made by Sako for H & R at the time wich might explain the gun's accuracy considering the type of action. after at least 1000 rounds I still get groups of 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 100 yrds wich is pretty good with an old bushnell scope. this gun will be a hand me down for sure. nicest stock of all my firearm woth a beautiful cheek piece and and rosewood forend piece.