The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 6, 2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Dirty_Harry

New to me Zastava m-70

I have never owned an AK. I have shot them frequently, but never really had the desire. M1A's and AR's are my semi autos of choice.

I couldn't pass up this partial trade of the Zastava. I initially planned on flipping it, but this thing is one of the nicer AK's I have held. (Wasr's and RAS47's). It is starting to grow on me. Is there any issues with the Zastava? Any necessary upgrades? How is the overall quality/longevity of the rifle? I read that it doesn't have a chrome lined barrel which stinks, but the chrome bolt is nice and looks good.

Thanks for the answers in advance. I tend to know a lot about firearms I am interested in, but I am a Kalashnikov noobie.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 7, 2016, 06:50 AM   #2
TRX

Zastava is good stuff. No problems.

Unless you're going to be shooting corrosive ammo and have poor cleaning habits, the non-chromed barrel is a non-issue.
Old October 7, 2016, 11:16 AM   #3
joeb

A keeper.
Old October 7, 2016, 11:46 AM   #4
smee78

They are good solid rifles, the lack of a chrome line barrel is not that big of a deal unless your shooting the old corrosive ammo (but they still need to be cleaned anyway). There is no way I would trade off a solid AK these days. Keep it, get some good mags and some ammo and enjoy, they really are solid rifles and make a great intermediate rifle/round.
Old October 9, 2016, 03:22 PM   #5
Dirty_Harry

Good to know, thanks for the replies

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne