The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Winchester 7mm

Lyman Reloading Equipment ?

Is the Lyman reloading equipment considered to be good equipment? Will it accept all makes of dies? I have a set local to me that was never used that I am thinking about purchasing. It looks like the expert kit, except that the presses are Orange? It will also come with three sets of dies and some other odds and ends.

Thanks!
John
Old March 15, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Sport45

Lyman makes very good equipment for reloaders. Their "Orange Crusher" press will handle just about anything you want to do with it.
Old March 16, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
OldShooter

Lyman

I have a Lyman T-mag II turret press. It is the only press I have owned but I have only had it about a year. It is sturdy and well made and should last my lifetime. The turret has six positions, so you can put a lot on it. It takes standard 7/8-14 dies, so any standard dies will fit. I use Lee and RCBS so far. I can't speak for or against any other make or model from first hand knowledge.
Old March 16, 2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Winchester 7mm

Here are some pics of the stuff:

Thanks for the help guys
Old March 16, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

One of the "standard brands"...

Winchester 7mm--Lyman is one of the "old standbys" in reloading equipment. If you get a good price on the reloading equipment, snap it up, sez I.

BTW, don't expect too much of a discount for it being other than store-new. Used reloading stuff is going for perhaps 80-90% of the new price. If you get better than that, you're getting a great deal.

I wouldn't worry about getting dies you don't plan on using, as part of the deal, either. Sooner or later, you will either have a firearm in that caliber, have someone over to reload some ammo for his firearm in that caliber, or have an opportunity to trade the unused dies for stuff that you CAN use.

The basic equipment is built like a brick pizzeria, and barring serious misuse, never wears out. And the stuff you're considering was never used in the first place. Looks to be new in original boxes. Snap it up, sez I.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 16, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Winchester 7mm

Thanks, going at 1:00 p.m. today to do just that.

Appreciate the help guys!
John
Old March 16, 2009, 01:29 PM   #7
73-Captain

Lyman is at least equal if not better than RCBS!
Old March 16, 2009, 05:23 PM   #8
doulos

Ive use both Lyman and RCBS stuff for years. The only pieces of Lyman equipment I really didn't like was their case trimmer. I have a RCBS power trimmer and it is great. But all of their other equipment I have I like. Its high quality stuff.
Old March 16, 2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Buster95

If I'm right the Lyman scales have plastic base and not RCBS, any problems with that because me too I'm interested in a Lyman kit.
Old March 16, 2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Winchester 7mm

I went and got the stuff, and it was as advertised new in the boxes. All the original inspection tags were still in all the boxes. All the manuals and instructions were included. Even the video on how to use it was there, The press is a 1992 T-Mag Turret Press. It has the 6 station turret. The scale, trimmer and powder measure are all new in the box. Came with three sets of dies and LOADS of other stuff. I think I will be happy with this purchase. Thanks guys for the input!
Old March 16, 2009, 09:04 PM   #11
pmeisel

u will like it

I bought my Lyman turret in 1987, still using it with good results and never feel the need for more...............
Old March 17, 2009, 01:17 PM   #12
jal5

Good equipment should last just about forever with some care. How good of a deal did you make? I have an old Orange Crush and it works fine, probably will go to one of my kids or grandkids.