The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 24, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
VeT|Us

How did I do? (Preparedness)

So, I've been a gun enthusiast for some years now,
and also been an outdoorsy type, I love fishing and the nature,
and I'm also very situational aware.
However, I've never gone to the step of putting together a BOB-bag.
Until today that is. I wish I had done this a long time ago!
I spent around 90-100$, and how did I do? Some of the items I already had, I'll mark'em out with X.

50 shells #2 12g
10 shells 12g slug X
10 shells OO Buck X

Disinfectant for wounds
bandaids
plasters
toothbrush
toiletpaper
20 painkillers
Cotton
Knife X

Tips of matches in an old film-container
Fishingline in the filmcontainer
Hooks
Sinkers
About 10ft of cord
3 lighters
Soap
tape

1 can of pineapple for carbs
6 cans of tuna
4 cans of corned beef
1 powerbar
2 juicyfruits (well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!)

3 pairs of socks X

I know I have forgot to include ALOT in the kit, since I just started on it today, so help me out! what else should I include?

I know I need; 2 more knives, compass, needles, scalpells and my SAS survivalbook. What else?
Old May 24, 2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Bigfatts

I take it a "BOB-bag" is a survival bag? I would add some potable water tablets and insect repellant, being in Florida. Maybe also a hatchet. I would hate to have to cut firewood with a knife. And one of those lighters should definately be wind/rainproof. And also one of those nifty multi-tools.
Old May 24, 2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Hedley

As a backup for the lighters, I'd have one of those magnesium firestarter blocks handy. REI or any similar outdoor outfitter should still have them. And a lot of Nicorette.
Old May 24, 2006, 04:08 PM   #4
threegun

some wire for snare traps
water purification items. Information on how to get drinking water without boiling, purifying, etc.
more ammo and a 22 rifle
plastic bags lots of bags(used for getting water also)
duct tape
primitive fire starter (magnesium type)
candles for heat, light, and cooking.

The basics should include water first, shelter, and food. Anything that can help get these should be considered. If I have time I will look at my survival kit.
Old May 24, 2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

The key to putting together an effective survival kit is situational awareness, not so much of the threats involved, but awareness of the environment you anticipate having to survive in.

Mentally place yourself right in the middle of the area you think you'll "hide out". Most likely, if you need a kit, it won't be an urban area. Now look around you. What is the lay of the land? Mountains, desert, swamp? What is the weather likely to be? Is water plentiful or scarce?

Now start with the most basic needs of life. The top 3 are usually water, shelter, and food, but again, environment will dictate the order they fall in. At high altitudes with bad weather, shelter and fire may be the first need. Desert? Probably water. You get the idea.

After laying out your basic needs, you need to list the items needed to fulfill each need, and again, these will vary according to the environment. For water, halizone tablets or better yet, a PUR or Sweetwater filtration system if you're in an area with streams or lakes. In the desert, substitute a plastic drop cloth for a solar still.

List as many items that will fulfill each need you can think of, and then start eliminating them one at a time, in order from luxury to necessity, until the size of your kit is such that you can comfortably carry it over extreme terrain, for long distances. (This, of course, assuming you're not staying with your vehicle.) If you don't, you'll quickly find out why seasoned backpackers literally measure weight in ounces, and not pounds.

But the most important thing you can have is a mind that's able to improvise and adapt. Most of the solutions to survival problems are right in front of you, IF you know how to recognize them and adapt them to your needs.

When I became a back country ranger with the National Park Service, they put me through some fairly extensive wilderness survival training. When asked to narrow their choices to any two items, but only two, for a survival situation, the most seasoned rangers' choices might surprise you. They were a good knife, and parachute shock cord. With those, you can make most of the other items you need, but without them, you're up the proverbial creek.

People here speak commonly of self defense schools, but rarely of wilderness survival schools. Training in this area is every bit as crutial as SD training, if you seriously think you may find yourself in a "bug out" situation.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 24, 2006, 05:06 PM   #6
VeT|Us

Thanks guys!

Yeah, its basically a survivalbag for any situation that might force me out of the home, in a hurry.

I have two bug-out-locations;
1. Family Cabin. A pretty big place, beds for 12, and with a tent outside and people sleeping on the sofa, you can squeese in atleast 20.
Its on an island that it takes 1.5 hours to drive to, then you have to cross by boat. This is where I really want to bug out, if I have to. If else, its:
2. Wilderness. Lots of wilderness around my part, and Im very familiar with some parts of it, trails, where game is, etc. Pretty mountainous, with very many freshwater lakes with fish in it. Thats why I dont stress carrying that much water, either I stay at home, with plenty water, bug ut to the wilderness a while, with plenty water, or go to the cabin, with plenty of water. Or die in the progress, as fate sees fit.

Got the 22.lr rifle already, that goes to the missus!

Thanks for the current tips, will surely get the magnesium firestarter, and water purification tablets among the other things.
Old May 24, 2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Bender711

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

Theres all the info youll ever want and then some on BOB's (bug out bags)
Old May 25, 2006, 07:38 PM   #8
mica

More Powerbar, less canned goods. I'd shop around, there are some bars out there that pack a lot protein and carbs etc and are smaller and lighter then cans. Don't know about the shelf life though.
Old May 25, 2006, 08:09 PM   #9
smince

Might want to up your first-aid kit and take some tactical medicine courses. Most people never consider how to treat themselves for gunshot wounds...
Old May 25, 2006, 08:42 PM   #10
joab

I would replace the canned tuna with those new foil pack versions or maybe just a few MREs
Old May 25, 2006, 10:00 PM   #11
willjamr

Bug Out Bag

I can't believe no one mentioned money! What if your bug out starts where you could *really* use some coins or a few dollars? Phone calls, Bus fare, food or ? (Yes, there are still a few pay phones, in a major problem, cell phone access may not work too well. Katrina, anyone?
Old May 26, 2006, 08:48 AM   #12
VeT|Us

Thanks again guys! It really helps to have someone else point out to me what I need to fix

I think I'll keep the canned stuff for now, it doesnt take up lots of room, and isnt heavy. I still have plenty of room in my bag, and it isnt a big bag either.
A nice inconspicous one that doesnt attract attention.

I'll add more powerbars! Thats a good idea. Then ziplock (in those that are airtight or whatever, got a bunch of'em) some peanut butter and highcarb-fruit.

Can you guys give me some info on what I should include to up my first aid kit? I really want it to be able to sustain me for some time. I can hunt, fish, and set up shelter, but without a firstaid-kit its game over for me after the first wound.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:00 AM   #13
Mikeyboy

Willj has a point. Part of my emergency kit (my stuff is in a plastic storage bin for now, but I can transfer it to a backpack if needed to Bug out on foot). I have an envelope with $40, I'm trying to save more like $200 to $500, but some stuff came up and I need to tap into it. $20 a pay and I will be back on track. My fear is a lot of disaster scenarios involve credit cards and ATMs being knocked off line, so Cash, if the USA is still in business, will be king. Also another thing to think of is you should have an envelope with copies of important papers like Birth Certificates, Heath insurance cards, Homeowners insurance policies, etc. Everyone packs there BOB for an end of civilization event, but most likely you will be using your BOB for some sort of regional disaster that your evacuating from. Its nice to have some cash for a hotel room, your health insurance info if someone gets hurt, or your homeowners info to start the claims process if your house is destroyed.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:21 AM   #14
Mikeyboy

Vet...you did not mentioned a tent? You can get a cheap 2 person dome tent if it just you and the wife. Or even a Tarp and some cord. Nice setup having a cabin on an island, but being a 1.5 hour drive, you might not make it in one day walking. Your never completely homeless if you have a tent. Also the match heads in a film can are good, I also got a film can of dryer lint, makes good tinder.
Old May 26, 2006, 11:01 AM   #15
threefivesevenmag

The most important thing for pure survival situations is a good knife that can accomplish 3 tasks: chopping, cleaning game, and carving smaller tasks. Chord would probably be next, but you can use boot laces for most lashings if you are making a bed or camp.

A shotgun, if SHTF would be good if you had to stay in one place or could travel by car. If not, the weight of the shells and the gun itself will prove not very useful if on foot.

If you really need a long gun, get a smaller carbine with 2-3 loaded magazines and I am sure you will be in good shape for whatever comes your way except zombies. Better yet, get a handgun with 3-4 mags and I am sure you will still be okay.

Surviving might not have so much to do with guns as it does reading the situation and adapting to changes.

Just food for thought. Your kit will constantly change.

Water, Food, Fire, Improvised Shelter, and Light will keep you alive longer than a shotgun will in most cirumstances.
Old May 26, 2006, 05:25 PM   #16
VeT|Us

As for now, I have a Huglu 870' knockoff and a CZ 452 with suppressor.
If it came to it, my gf would get the 452 and I'd take the shotty.
Not old enough to own a sidearm yet, but working on it. Only one more year until the government trusts me enough. Yey.
When the time comes, I'll get a nice hicap 9mm. Been hearing really good things about the CZ75B.

Im feeling pretty confident with "only" my shottie, can pack 50 rounds of #2 in my pack, have 25 on my waist, and six in my gun. If I get in a firefight requiring more than 81 rounds to break contact, I've already lost eitherway. Im not SAS or a Navy SEAL, nor do I pretend to be.

Im a student with really limited funds, who want to protect himself, his gf and family (sheeple), the best he can. I could get a cheap mauser in 30'06, but I'd really like another 870. Shotgun-guy, I guess.

And I recently found a compact two-man tent for like 30$, I'll get that!

- More gun
- Money
- Soup
- Spices
- Cooking utencils
- More carbs and powerbars
- Map to get to cabin, should roads be dangerous, and we have to hike it.
- Tent
- Water purifier

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2006, 08:13 PM   #17
Dave R

Best place to store all that stuff...a nice backpack!

Then go backpacking and you'll find out how well it all works.
Old May 26, 2006, 09:36 PM   #18
jroth

How about a...

COMPASS!! If roads are bad, then you need to overland it and trees are very dark and start looking the same.
Try the backpack meals has they can keep for about three years and one can make two meals for a person.
anyone mention canteens, need to have water over food. throw in a water purifier.
Extra boxes of .22LR for tradeing helps.
Old May 27, 2006, 12:33 AM   #19
roscoe

Thei is a great forum for BOBs and survival without any creepy political weirdness:

http://neardeathexperiments.com/smf/index.php
Old May 27, 2006, 05:16 AM   #20
smince

Quote:
As for now, I have a Huglu 870' knockoff and a CZ 452 with suppressor.
Flash suppressor or sound suppressor? I'm surprised if you could get the (legal) sound suppressor and not be old enough for a handgun.
Old May 27, 2006, 08:51 AM   #21
VeT|Us

Sound suppressor

Im not from the US, im a norwegian. Have to be 21 to own a handgun, and Im only 20. Only have to be 16 to buy a suppressor, though.
Thats why I cant buy an AK/CETME/FAL/M1A as my shtf gun, I'd really like to, but those guns are just too dangerous for the public to own, I guess.

Only PC-guns here, like Mauser, 10/22, Mini-14, lever-actions, etc. Nothing eeeevil. That would case the collapse of the entire Norwegian state.

Been thinking really hard about adding a Marlin Papoose to the mix. I can have that in my bag, with around 300 rounds or more, and in a year, add a handgun. Could conceal both weapons (handgun on person, papoose in rucksack, and seem like just another one of the sheeple, seemingly unarmed, until I had arrived at my destination. That would also free up the 12g for my best friend or gf.
Old May 27, 2006, 03:11 PM   #22
joab

Quote:
Been thinking really hard about adding a Marlin Papoose to the mix.
That's what I did.
Not a Papoose but another takedown packable .22
Old May 29, 2006, 10:03 PM   #23
Mikeyboy

No handguns in Norway? A handgun would be easier to carry if legal, otherwise the papoose is a good rifle. You can use it for light self defense and for hunting small game to eat. I got a Kel Tec sub2000 9mm foldable carbine and a (soon to be purchased, on order) Henry AR-7 .22lr Survival rifle. Even in the US, you may run into some restrictions with carrying a handgun so having foldable longgun is a good option. I agree with the blending in thing, looking like a commando survivalist loaded with gear and weapons will certainly draw attention to you by thieves and authorities.
Old May 30, 2006, 05:46 AM   #24
VeT|Us

Handguns are allowed, But I have to be 21, and im only 20. One more year!
When I finish my pack and weaponry, I'll post some pics
Old May 30, 2006, 06:14 PM   #25
Phil Ca

LIGHT STICKS - At least 3 or 4 of the eight-hour type. Red and Amber are a good choice of color. using a length of cordage and whirling the light stick around in a circle makes a good signal device. (!8 to 24 inches is adequate)

PLASTIC BAGS - Acouple of sturdy lawn and leaf bags neatly folded to kep air out, and then placed inside a gallon freezer Ziplock bag. to be used if having to hunker down or RON in an unfamiliar place where it is cold and/or windy. Plce your feet and legs in one and tuck it in close and make a poncho out of the other by putting a hole for your head and arms. Plastic bags are usually available from your own kitchen or home supplies. I kep some of each size and grade available all the time.

ALUMINUM SPACE BLANKET - One per person but carry two in your own BOB. Cost is about $3.00 for one. Carry one in a suitcase or carryon bag for travel.

PLASTIC PONCHO - Preferably orange or yellow in color for a signal and for safety. Carry two in a BOB and at least one in each suitcase or carryon bag. Price, about $1.00 or $2.00 bucks. Use once and replace. Keep a used one in the car for tire chain installation or tire changing tasks.

COGHLANS CAN OPENER/SPOON COMBO - These come in two-packs and cost under a dollar. Keep a couple in the BOB and on in your suitcase and another in carryon. Be aware that the TSA dufi may sometimes insist that this is a deadly item and confiscate it. (JFK in 2003) The P-38 type opener is tricky if you have never used one but just practice before actual need of it. Since these are packed in two's you can use a scissors to seperate the two and redisribute them as you like.

UTENSILS - go to REI or look on line for the unbreakable knife, fork and spoon as welll as a couple of metal items for use over a stove or campfire. expect to spend at least $20.00 for the lot. us esome from home if that does not fit the budget yet.

SIERRA OR ROCKY CUP (Knockoffs OK) - These are stainless steel and a few years ago were US made. The China made are OK and decent made as well. You can heat up water for a soup of bouillion of some sort, or tea for those that like it 9And coffee of course) Cost is about $4.00 to $6.00 dollars now.

PLASTIC TROWEL - Orange plastic is a good color and the smaller baded version will help you dig a cat hole, clear a firing site, clear a fire ring and works as a decent makeshift weapon against animals or a person without a gun. Cost is about $1.50 at REI and maybe a few more at a hardware store.

T.P., Tee Pee or just plain old TOILET PAPER - Don't leave home w/o some! Your day or several day sojourn may turn into a nightmare w/o it! You can buy some at a camping store for a couple bucks for two small rolls or do-it- yourself for less. When a roll at home gets down to 1/4 roll or even a 1/3rd roll you can remove it, crush it flat and wrap the next rolls wrapper around it. Each suitcase and carryon bag we own has at least one roll and in some cases two, if its the larger case. You may place a roll in a ziplock bag like a sandwich bag to maintain it from becoming damp. (ever use soggy Tee Pee? I believe the last time I did was in the SE Asia Wargames, Class of 65/66)

MAPS - If you belong to AAA you are blessed. The yearly fee is worth it o me for he maps and guide books. Keep a regional map that covers your expected route or to your planned destination in the BOB. My car has at least the following. Map of US, Map of State(PRK), Regional map from Bay to Lake Tahoe, Sierra and Gold Country maps, and a couple from the SF Bay Area. When we travel by plane we take destination maps, with possible two or three staste maps of the surrounding area, just in case.

WHISTLE COMBO - A orange plastic whistle with a lanyard ring and a thermometer on one side and a simple compass on the other has proven to be handy on a few occasions. If you were to become trapped in an auto due to accident, a building like a motel or office during an EQ, this little gem might save your life. You may tire of shouting and become hoarse but you may still have enough energy to keep blowing the whistle at intervals. Cost is about $4.00 or so and your wife or SO should have one as well as the kids. (With proper instruction as to their use as it is for use in emergency only) Let the kids practice with you at home before going camping or at least every couple of months.

COMPASS - Have a decent compass and instruction manual. Price may be from $12.00 to $40.00 plus a small book.

FANNY PACK - Keep a sturdy one inside the BOB to use when you deploy in a situation. It wil save you from having to dip into the BOB all the time. Buy one used from Goodwill for $2.00 or pay up to $20.00 for a multi-pocketed model that glows in the dark. Keep additional fire-starting material and money and a pocket knife in it all the time.

LENSES - Keep a small monocular or pair of binoculars in the BOB. These are indespensible in identifying people or objects at a distance and may save your life or save you time if you have to walk around a blockage of some sort.(Use your imagination here)

INSTRUCTION MANUALS - The SAS series of manual in vest pocket size are excellant and available on-line or at gun shows. The price is about $5.00 or $6.00 dollars. One is fo Firts Aid, another for E & E, and still another for Defense. (or the Out-Of-US contingent, Defence) Additional knowledge from these books, "Where There is No Doctor" and the companion book, "Where There is No Dentist", may prove to be a valuable asset, even if you do not bring hem along. Be sure to spend some time reading them for the information they contain.

BIBLE, MISSAL or PRAYER BOOK - Whatever is compatible with your particular belief should not be forgotton either. I carry a small New Testament that includes Psalms and Proverbs as well.

Water and weapons have been discussed in other posts and if you go on Capt Daves site at www.captdaves.com/index.html and look on the left and click on the red button for Bug Out Bags for more info. Great free info available there.

NOTICE: I just double checked the Capt Daves site and it was not the one I have known for years. The website address is the same but it is a person in Florida with fishing boats! If anyone knows how to get the right Capt Dave site here please let me know.