The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 18, 2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Spats McGee
Staff

The Facts About Assault Weapons and Crime

Clearly, I'm up early and reading lots of Facebook. John Lott, Jr., has an article in the WSJ detailing some stuff that we already know: the AWB was cosmetic in nature, that a rifle that accepts a box magazine will accept one of any size, that sometimes folks need more than one shot for SD. I provide this one on the chance that someone may need to use it as a source. (You know, "Well, I read an article that says . . . ")

The Facts About Assault Weapons and Crime
Old January 18, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
JimDandy

I hope noone who knows as much about guns as we do but hates guns gets ahold of that article. He's REALLY walking a tightrope there. I think his argument is a little disingenous, and many times his choice for argument is dubious... he talks about deer hunting with a Bushmaster, when, for ANY hunting it's most likely/commonly used for varmint control like coyotes just as one example...
Old January 18, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
sigcurious

That was definitely a succinct highlight some of the major talking points. I would have preferred (as I usually would) if the author had cited the studies and sources of numbers. Mostly because no matter the topic if presented to someone on the other side, it's easy to ask..."well where did that number come from, how do you know its true?" Which is usually where the anti arguments fall apart, but similarly it could happen to ours also.

In light of that

The revised AWB report