The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Mercenary

Best CCW For Business Casual Attire

With my current job I am required to dress in a business casual attire. Usually it's slacks and a tucked in button down or polo. No ties or sports jackets. In the last month there have been a at least 10 armed robberies in my town and the neighboring town (VERY unheard of in this area), both of which I travel and do business in.

For my work attire, what would be the best option for carry? And how should I carry it so that it's not noticeable? I work mostly with healthcare businesses, so technically I am not suppose to carry a concealed weapon. However, my CCW instructor always says that concealed means concealed from public view.

Suggestions??
Old November 30, 2011, 06:59 PM   #2
srommes

I'm a controller and I wear business attire similar to what you stated. I carry in my front pocket a Ruger LCP in a Blackhawk size1 pocket holster everyday. I put a back-up mag in my other front pocket. I hardly ever notice them. The LCP is great for the front pocket due to its size and weight. I have a Sig P238 and a Kahr CM9 as well that I wear iwb on the days I don't wear a shirt tucked in. The Sig and Kahr are too heavy for front pocket carry with dress-pants/khakis in my opinion. Hope that helps!
Old November 30, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

For absolute concealment how about a Bersa CC .380, nickel plated, and a good Kyndex IWB holster and Cor-Bon DPX ammo. Real good if you wear a suit.

Very small, very flat, no sharp corners.

Or maybe a S&W 642 .38 Airweight with Cor-Bon DPX! Good IWB holster made for appendix carry when you wear the polo shirts.

Deaf
Old November 30, 2011, 07:09 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

Ruger LCP .380; very reliable and easy to CC.
Old November 30, 2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

If sportcoats are allowed, add that to your attire. They provide nice cover for a front-pocket pistol, or something a little larger at the 3-4 o'clock position. Pick the size with CC in mind. With winter coming, no one will think twice about your wearing a jacket.
Old November 30, 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
RT

Old November 30, 2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Officer's Match

SmartCarry is an option, pick your pistol.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Elsie Pea: The gun you can carry when you can't carry a gun!

Front pocket carry in a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster W/O the fly or Back pocket with the "fly" attached to the holster
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 30, 2011, 09:44 PM   #9
horseman308

I was in a gunshop recently with a buddy who was looking at the S&W Bodyguard .380.The clerk showed him a padded portfolio that looked exactly like a daytimer/notebook, but it was a holster for the pistol and a spare mag slot. If you carry a notebook or anything like that with your work, that might be another option (assuming you ALWAYS have it with you).
Old November 30, 2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Shadi Khalil

It's hard to beat the LCP or Kel Tec.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Micahweeks

+1 on the AirLite .38 +P. I don't really like small guns in general, but I make the occasional exception for a good snubby. Revolvers are what I first learned on, so they still strike a chord with me. I'd pocket carry one without question.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:26 PM   #12
WESHOOT2

buy a pair

Pairs of LCP or KelTec or similar in rear pocket holsters.

-Small
-Flat
-Well-holstered
Old November 30, 2011, 10:33 PM   #13
Patriot86

My job requires Business Casual or Business Formal attire at all times, If CC is ever made legal here in IL I plan to use a pocket holster any some kind of compact Kahr.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:34 PM   #14
hblac

I have the same dress code as the OP and what works best all around is Kel-Tec P3AT in a DeSantis Nemasis pocket holster in the right front pocket. No-one will ever know its there and its lighweight. You're still going to need a good 1.25" gunbelt. Galco makes a good one in black and dark brown.
In my company vehicle there's a glock 26 riding on a gun magnet in the console. That' my everyday carry system. Been doing that for about 2.5 years now.

Bigger guns are just too hard to carry without an over garment when you must wear a tucked in shirt all the time. You might find that the Kahr PM9 works OK in the front pocket. I haven't wanted to spend that much money on it. The Walther PPS, Kahr CW9 and Kel-Tec PF9 all stick out like a sore thumb even with a tuckable IWB waistband holster.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:37 PM   #15
doeop

LCP in your wallet pocket (he asked for your wallet!!!!!!)
Old November 30, 2011, 10:37 PM   #16
Mrgunsngear

S&W Bodyguard 380 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Mine's been 100% reliable and it actually has usable sights as opposed to the LCP.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:39 PM   #17
mitranoc

I go between suits and scrubs and the Ruger LCP is perfect. Prior I had a Seecamp LWS .380 which concealed even nicer...but pricey. You can't go wrong with the Ruger.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:46 PM   #18
doeop

Sorry first Post aimed toward carry possition. My wife carries a body guard fine pistol. ( I pitty the fool that asks her for her wallet ) She's mean.

Many fine carry options pick the one best for you and Practice, Practice, Practice!
Old November 30, 2011, 11:10 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
it actually has usable sights as opposed to the LCP.
My Elsie fits my hand so naturally it is like pointing to the target. Out of my pocket, to firing position, double tap two quick shots always center mass. Raise my arm a bit, third shot to head. No sighting, just shooting. A the range these guns are intended for, 10yds or so, The LCP points so naturally for me that I don't need the sights.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 30, 2011, 11:29 PM   #20
doeop

The LCP points so naturally for me that I don't need the sights.

I agree cheapshooter!
Old November 30, 2011, 11:58 PM   #21
CWKahrFan

I'm constantly astonished at my LCP's accuracy at the range... It's a minimal-sights short-barrel gun yet I shoot very tight groups with it at SD distances. Ballpark number of LCP's sold in the few years they've been out must be somewhere around 1 million... maybe more... That says a lot.
Old December 1, 2011, 12:57 AM   #22
ClydeFrog

concealment rigs for business or office wear...

Hi "Merc";
From your post, I'd suggest a simple 5/6 shot J frame DA only revolver or a Ruger LCR .357magnum. If you want a simple semi auto for protection/concealed use and have the $$$, I'd suggest these models;
the Glock 36 .45acp, the Walther PPS in 9x19mm, the SIG Sauer P239 DAK in SASII with 3 dot night sights(.40 or .357sig).
A CT lasergrip would be a smart add-on(if you work at night or in low light areas), www.crimsontrace.com .
As for holsters, I'd check into undershirts or dress shirts with concealment pockets. 5.11, Kramer, Blackhawk, Woolrich, etc all sell men's shirts that do not scream; 5-0 or BLACKWATER CONTRACTOR.
Be aware of "printing" & understand proper concealment.
Real "armed professionals" understand tradecraft & buy gear/clothing that works properly.
A large US military spec ops unit had formal classes & seminars with a fashion expert to teach them how to wear business attire & conceal weapons.

ClydeFrog
www.galls.com www.glockstore.com www.5.11tactical.com www.policehq.com www.uscav.com www.qmuniforms.com
ps: Go read the novel; The Protector & the non fiction book; Inside The Delta Force by CSM Eric Haney.
Old December 1, 2011, 01:06 AM   #23
KyJim

I will carry either a Ruger LCP or Sig P238 (both are .380 caliber) in a pocket holster or my Kahr CM9 (9mm) in a tuckable holster. The CM9 is small and the tuckable holster allows you to tuck in the shirt, blouse it out just slightly, and hide the clip. If anyone does see the clip, they think it is a cell phone carrier or something similar.

I am using a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder holster. It is leather on the inside to protect the finish with a Kydex shell to repel moisture.

Old December 1, 2011, 01:35 AM   #24
CWKahrFan

Nice-lookin' CM9 setup y'got there KyJim...
Old December 1, 2011, 01:58 AM   #25
ClydeFrog

Kahr pistols...

I'd add the Kahr sub compacts too, but they may be are to get in some types/calibers.
See www.gunsamerica.com or www.jgsales.com or www.gilbertsguns.com .
Clyde
ps: If a cool, yet professional looking men's jacket/sportcoat, see the Duluth Trading Presentation Jacket.
It's made of "fire hose" fabric & has 11 pockets in the garment.
www.duluthtrading.com
It's made in WI too!