The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 12, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Best / cheapest source of 30 caliber ammo cans ???

you guys know a good source for 30 cal Mil ammo cans ( empty ) ???

I just built a newer walk in gun safe / room (s), & I built some ammo storage benches in the room for storing ammo... I reload for close to 70 calibers, & I built the storage benches around the 30 cal cans... one for loaded ammo, one for empty cases for all my guns... I had several, but that supply dried up right away... I ordered 12 off Evil Bay, & that disappeared in 10 mintes ( as I had the ammo & cases waiting on my bench ) I just ordered a lot of 16 cans, & still need alot more... shipping adds up pretty fast, as does the cost of the cans... wondering if anyone knows where I could get a wrapped pallets worth, if I had extras, I could just sell them at the local gun show... it would be great if they were in MN or IA, & I could pick them up to save on shipping

any eye deers ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 12, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:35 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...ns&cmd=keyword

If you need that many...

Your friends won't be angry if they get your extras for Christmas either.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

AWESOME... thanks for the link... the only 30 cal cans I saw, were 2 pallets of them ( way more than I need )
Old December 18, 2012, 01:58 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Well the big thing is location as they more or less don't ship. i am close to an airforce base, so i just have to wait until they come up.

Sounds like you need 140 for 70 calibers. If you can get 300 @ $5 I am sure you can find someone to take the others pretty cheap.

They do have a retail site also.
http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...2938-p/144.htm

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 18, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old December 18, 2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the retail link as well... number needed ??? I already had 15-20... 30 caliber cans, & about as many 50 cal cans... right now I've moved all my bullets along the wall & put them in 50 cal cans ( & I'm a few short, but don't plan on keeping them permanently in the 50 cal cans ), waiting for a better place, I bought 12, & then later 16... 30 cal cans off evil bay so far, so I may already have 1/3 to 1/2 of what I need total... I haven't done the Contenders yet... there is a lot of cartridge variety, but I don't think I should really need more than one can each for loaded rounds & brass together ??? may have to have 2 on some that require forming of cases, from odd ball stuff, just to have a supply

if I made the trip to my brothers ( nothing planned soon anyway ) I could probably plan a stop in OK on the way... just don't know if I'm patient enough... once I start something, I like to keep at it, before another emergency pops up, & steals me away
Old December 19, 2012, 11:45 AM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I've never bought from this group before. In fact I found it after you asked by google and a link on another forum. I have looked at it a lot over the last few days. I have already set-up a group buy on ammo cans if they end up less than $5.

Working on another for pack frames and packs.

Navy has a Rolex listed(not that I am a fan of Rolexes).

All kinds of surplus.