The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 10, 2016, 09:15 AM   #26
Hunter2678

Quote:
I believe my 527 is free floated al the way to the front of the receiver, though I haven't done the dollar bill test to check if it's all the way free floated. The bolt feels kind of stiff, though I heard it will work itself in over time. It's better to have a stiff bolt than a wobbly one.
My barrel is free floated down to the rear sight band. I took the gun out of the stock last night and discovered that the bottom of the recoil lug had been bedded from the factory and the front action screw isn't pillared like the rear . Seems to be backwards IMO. Im still going to reinforce the rear tang and lug area with some devcon steel putty to make sure it doesn't gradually shift. My bolt moves effortlessly but I might hand polish the bolt body someday if I get bored just to get it super slick.
Old August 30, 2016, 08:49 PM   #27
jackstrawIII

Just took delivery of my new 527 in 7.62x39 and it's a great gun. Went to clean the barrel, but I couldn't get my .30 cal cleaning jag to fit through the barrel... nor my .270 cal for that matter.

I ended up using the .243 jag to clean and season the barrel, and it was still difficult to force through the barrel. Is this normal??

It fired just fine, but I have no idea why I can't get the right sized jag through.
Old August 31, 2016, 03:14 PM   #28
Erno86

You'll find that if you offset the cleaning patch on the jag, will make for easier sailing. Any undersized jag might need finger guidance help at the muzzle, so it doesn't hurt the crown when you reverse the rod. I use a 223 cleaning rod for patch work, and a 30 caliber rod for brush work.

I like my 527, in 7.62x39, that I just purchased last month, though the earlier models had more beautiful Turkish Walnut; but my stock ain't so bad either. It still feels wippy in my hands for offhand steel target fun, and the Mauser bolt likes to be worked vigorously.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; August 31, 2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old August 31, 2016, 10:47 PM   #29
jackstrawIII

I too was pleasantly surprised by the quality and figure in the wood. To find a rifle at this price with real Walnut was great in and of itself, but the nice figure is a huge bonus.