The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Closed Thread

Old October 2, 2013, 02:32 AM   #1
SoCal326

Rationale behind locking threads?

I recently saw a thread that was closed because there was ". . . nothing new to say" after just 43 posts. The topic was receiving national attention and people seemed interested in talking about it. Does anyone understand why this is? Does the mod really think that there is nothing more to say, or does the mod just not like the topic?

Not trying to be a smart ars here but isn't this forum all about discourse on topics? Does a locked thread suggest that the topic is now off limits? I'm stumped.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 2, 2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: corrected spelling.
Old October 2, 2013, 05:34 AM   #2
JimmyR

My experience has been that threads are closed for "nothing new" when the same points get brought up over and over. There comes a point when a mod, watching the discussion, sees 43 posts with possibly 5 distinct ideas and opinions.

It all boils down to the idea that we are not speaking in the open air. We are speaking on a privately owned and financed forum, with designated rules and policies set down by the owner of the forum and enforced by the mods. Just like if people were bickering, arguing, or getting off topic in a discussion about a topic that I invited people to my home to have, you can bet I would work to keep the discussion streamlined.

That said, I can't speak much to the thread you have an issue with, as you didn't give any hint to the thread title/subjct, much less a link.

Finally, I think the mods will move this to the "Site Questions and Technical Support" since this question isn't Firearms Related.
Old October 2, 2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Bud Helms

"Nothing new to say" usually implies that the thread has come to a point where it is nothing more than repetition of points already made. People come to a thread, read the title and make a post, without reading the conversation that has taken place.

Sometimes an event with national attention has limited information available to the public. The investigation is still underway and the thread is nothing but speculation.

At some point, if the thread may devolve into, "If I'da been there ..." or "I woulda ...". Then we aren't learning anything more about the topic.

[Edited to add: I will leave this here in view, since many members may be curious about this question. The Gen Disc mods can move it to Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS) if needed.]

Last edited by Bud Helms; October 2, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old October 2, 2013, 08:22 AM   #4
K_Mac

I have been hanging around on internet forums for a while now, and this forum is one of the best (maybe the best) when it comes to informative and interesting civil discourse in my opinion. That is not the rule when it comes to public conversations on the web, and it is a big reason I come here as often as I do.

There are other sites available that allow any and all things to be discussed with few rules. When I spend much time on them I appreciate this site more.

That is not to say that when I make an intelligent and insightful post that is deleted because it is ruled improper that I like it...

Last edited by K_Mac; October 2, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 2, 2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Just because people want to talk about something doesn't mean that:

1. It's an appropriate topic for discussion at TFL.

2. That if it is, that it's a progressive topic of discussion for TFL, rather than a stagnant one.

By progressive, I mean one that continues to progress as a discussion, rather than one that stagnates into people simply reiterating the same points in a different way.

There's only so many ways to say something before it becomes stale and repetitive, and when it does become stale and repetitive, it's a waste of bandwith.

When it becomes a waste of bandwidth, it's wasting the money of the guy who foots the ENTIRE bill for this place -- Rich Lucibella.

So, to make sure we don't waste Rich's money, we shut down threads in which there's no longer anything new to say, no matter how popular they may seem to be.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
2. That if it is, that it's a progressive topic of discussion for TFL, rather than a stagnant one.

By progressive, I mean one that continues to progress as a discussion, rather than one that stagnates into people simply reiterating the same points in a different way.
Like the scenarios of "What would you do when a mad gunman starts shooting (mall, movie theatre,concert, etc.)...good points, great debates but in the end... two to three opposing views and it goes on and on.

The last thing you want is a discussion that ends up looking like a nuclear arms race ....."It's like watching two kids drenched in gasoline arguing about who has the most matches!"
Old October 3, 2013, 05:54 AM   #7
t4terrific

Rationale behind locking threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
My experience has been that threads are closed for "nothing new" when the same points get brought up over and over. There comes a point when a mod, watching the discussion, sees 43 posts with possibly 5 distinct ideas and opinions.

It all boils down to the idea that we are not speaking in the open air. We are speaking on a privately owned and financed forum, with designated rules and policies set down by the owner of the forum and enforced by the mods. Just like if people were bickering, arguing, or getting off topic in a discussion about a topic that I invited people to my home to have, you can bet I would work to keep the discussion streamlined.

That said, I can't speak much to the thread you have an issue with, as you didn't give any hint to the thread title/subjct, much less a link.

Finally, I think the mods will move this to the "Site Questions and Technical Support" since this question isn't Firearms Related.
When you invite people to your home, you try to manage, and streamline their conversation?
Old October 3, 2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4terrific
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR
. . . .It all boils down to the idea that we are not speaking in the open air. We are speaking on a privately owned and financed forum, with designated rules and policies set down by the owner of the forum and enforced by the mods. Just like if people were bickering, arguing, or getting off topic in a discussion about a topic that I invited people to my home to have, you can bet I would work to keep the discussion streamlined. . . .
When you invite people to your home, you try to manage, and streamline their conversation?
My home doesn't have a specific mission statement, or delineated rules for discussion. TFL does. Even so, I reserve the right to manage and direct discussions as necessary in my home. For example, if folks in my home get too rowdy discussing politics and religion, I can ask them to lower their voices, or change topics before things become too heated. Not all discussions are appropriate in all times and all places.
Old October 3, 2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

"When you invite people to your home, you try to manage, and streamline their conversation?"

Uhm, yeah, I certainly may, depending on what they're talking about.

Just because someone is a guest in my home doesn't mean that they have unfettered liberty to say or do anything that they want.

I'm pretty confident that the people I choose as my friends are cognizant of, and respect, that, just as I try to when I'm in their homes.

Old October 3, 2013, 10:18 AM   #10
K_Mac

Quote:
My home doesn't have a specific mission statement, or delineated rules for discussion. TFL does. Even so, I reserve the right to manage and direct discussions as necessary in my home. For example, if folks in my home get too rowdy discussing politics and religion, I can ask them to lower their voices, or change topics before things become too heated. Not all discussions are appropriate in all times and all places.

Well said Spats. My idea of a great time is having friends over for good food and conversation about things that matter. Discussion of these things, even among friends can sometimes get contentious. As the moderator/host I have the responsibility of seeing that the conversation remains civil. There are issues that some folks can't discuss calmly and civilly. Fortunately, I also have the freedom to control the guest list.
Old October 3, 2013, 11:23 PM   #11
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4terrific
1) I'm guessing you misunderstood this portion of my statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR
Just like if people were bickering, arguing, or getting off topic in a discussion about a topic that I invited people to my home to have, you can bet I would work to keep the discussion streamlined.
The crux of my point is in bold. If I am inviting my friends to my home so that we can discuss a particular topic, then yes, I am willing to moderate the discussion in order to maintain order. This is not the same as people gathing in my house to relax, hang out, or shoot the breeze. I don't think I made that as clear as I intended.

I also have no qualm about telling someone to leave my house if they are rude, disruptive, beligerent, or aggressive. I hope you have the same standards in your home. Otherwise, I'm throwing the next TFL GOES WILD party at your house!
Old October 4, 2013, 04:45 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, I think we've reached a good point at which to close this down.

Closed Thread