The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 24, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1
TheNocturnus

Got a Kel Tec P3AT today. I Have a Question.

Hey guys. I have not purchased a gun in several months and it has come up that I am going to need a smaller gun for on the job concealment.

I currently carry a G19 and while I conceal it very well, it can be spotted if you know what to look for. For the job I am going to get, I need something that can never be made. So I went to look for a small .380. My choices were pretty clear to me:

Ruger LCP
Kel Tec P3AT
SW Bodyguard
SIG P238

I went with the P3AT for a few reasons. Cost was a factor and it was the least expensive, reliable .380 I could find. The one I purchased had been fluffed and buffed already and came with 2 mags, box and paperwork.
It has the option to add a clip to the gun for no-holster concealment.

Now before the firing squad starts shooting at me, I am a huge proponent of carrying a gun in a holster. The trigger needs to be covered or secured for safe carry, this I am aware of. But for my body type a clip would be the best method for deep concealment.

I was looking for a Saf-T-Blok like device to block the trigger and came up empty.
Image of Saf-T-Blok:

Anybody have any suggestions on what I could use to make one?
Brain (Use this one the most)

Last edited by TheNocturnus; September 25, 2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old September 25, 2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Just use the clip for IWB carry. It's perfectly safe.
Old September 25, 2012, 01:35 AM   #3
baddarryl

I have one and the trigger pull is so long and heavy that you really don't have to worry about it. I pocket carry mine in a holster just to keep it aligned right, but really you could almost just drop it in. Make sure you run a couple of boxes through it before you trust it. I had to get some new parts from Kel Tec for mine to run right. Don't ask me what they were, I just R/R them and now it works. Only one for sure was an extractor. Great gun to drop in the pocket for a quick run to the store.
Old September 25, 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I have pocket carried a Keltec P32 WITHOUT a pocket holster for 15 years. Perfectly safe-as long as you NEVER carry anything else in the pocket. IWB is even safer.
Old September 25, 2012, 07:38 AM   #5
TheNocturnus

I was planning on carrying it IWB with the clip. I will forgo the trigger block for now I suppose. Thanks guys.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 25, 2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Stressfire

Before making any modifications, make sure of function.

The P3AT I had would continuously fail to reset the trigger (about 85% of the time) - and I made sure that it was not operator error.

Like baddaryl suggested, make sure it works and that you can trust it.

As to carry method - I picked up a Galco IWB clip on and it fit just fine and concealed well. Though I never carried it, the "try to find my gun" game with my FIL and fiance resulted in it not being discovered without a pat-down