The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 1999, 07:18 AM   #1
Dan

Here's a question for the guys who have a clue on optics.

The range that is the most convenient for me to shoot my Bushmaster Shorty AK at requires shooters to use the ranges' targets. These targets are about 10" and graduated in 1 inch increments. Obviously targets for use w/a scope. At 100 yds, I can barely make out the target and what I can see, my front sight about covers up.

I need a scope.

I don't want to scope my Shorty AK, that would be going against my idea of what a carbine rifle is all about, but since the majority of my plinking will be done at this particular range, I need some form of optical sight.

I want someting cheap, compact and cheap. It will be used for plinking only. No field use, no need for a variable power, no need for a system that holds it's zero when reattached.

With that criteria in mind, I'm leaning towards the Leapers brand that are advertised by all the discount dealers. Has anyone got any experience w/Leapers scopes? Would they be worth the $50.00 I would spend? Does anyone have any suggestions for a low cost (under $100.00)compact scope?

If I could afford it I would go w/the Elite IR or the AMT 5x33. But I can't, so any input is welcome!

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Old October 27, 1999, 09:32 PM   #2
Rob62

Dan,
I shoot a Bushmaster shorty too, but mine is the non AK muzzle break model. I did put a Smith Enterprise MB on it and really like it. I bought the Leepers or is it Leapers 4X AR15 scope and like it for the price that I paid. It cost me about $45 at a gun show. The adjustments hold and the clarity of the optics isn't bad. The overall quality is decent for a scope under $50. Plus I understand that these scopes are "Lifetime Guaranteed" by the importer in MI. So in short, being the extremly frugal (read cheap bastard) person that I am, I feel that I spend my $$ wisely on this scope, and would do it again. If you have any other specific questions drop me a E-mail.

Rob

RKBA!

------------------
It's amazing what a large group of stupid people can accomplish.
-----------------

Old October 28, 1999, 04:51 AM   #3
Bulldog

I have a Leapers 4x AR15 scope on my 20" AR. Seems durable, accurate, and relatively inexpensive at $39.95 from Cheaper than Dirt.

I haven't had much luck with the Leapers 3-9x rubber armored scope (same price). I can't seem to get it to zero. Maybe it's the scope. Maybe it's the mount. Could just be me, but it wont zero with anything I have.

By the way, in case you're interested, I believe that all of the Leapers scopes are made in China.

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited October 28, 1999).]